Flooded! (1 Viewer)

Jul 30, 2016
Warrington
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
6 years
House flooded 2 days ago! 9 inches of dirty water everywhere down stairs. Evacuated by council to hotel for 4 nights. At least I managed to save car and MH. I think the MH might be very useful in coming weeks/months. Insurance assessor coming first thing Monday morning. What a bummer!!!!!

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
House flooded 2 days ago! 9 inches of dirty water everywhere down stairs. Evacuated by council to hotel for 4 nights. At least I managed to save car and MH. I think the MH might be very useful in coming weeks/months. Insurance assessor coming first thing Monday morning. What a bummer!!!!!
Terrible news . I and so sorry 🙁. I wonder if any of the campsites wound take you on in the motorhome ? Or is the hotel ok ?

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Oh thats awful but now that its happened look on the bright side, you might get to use your motorhome and the house will get new decor.

I hope it turns out well for you in the end and that the council take measures to prevent it happening again.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Really sorry for you and the family, the insurance people will be there for you.

Clipgate

Free Member
Jan 1, 2014
Folkestone
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
May I ask is the area liable to flood, or is it a newish build
Not that it is of much use my appreciation of your position, however your all safe and it will be resolved

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I'm sorry for the loss and anxiety this will cause. I'm not an expert but I wonder if you would be better off not mentioning that you have accommodation with your motorhome to your insurance company - they might encourage you to use it instead of offering a place to live while your house is repaired. Living in your motorhome for several months during winter lockdown won't be as fun as in other circumstances.

May 7, 2011
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Kontiki 669
Exp
Since 2010
So sorry to hear your bad news,what a horrible start to the new year.
I hope you get sorted ASAP with the insurance.

Dec 13, 2019
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2019
Sad news but, in the current climate, simply terrible. As if there is not enough for you to be coping woth right now!
Stay strong, keep safe and well. Hopefully, you will get sorted quickly with the insurance assessments.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
So sorry to hear this.

I'm sorry for the loss and anxiety this will cause. I'm not an expert but I wonder if you would be better off not mentioning that you have accommodation with your motorhome to your insurance company - they might encourage you to use it instead of offering a place to live while your house is repaired. Living in your motorhome for several months during winter lockdown won't be as fun as in other circumstances.
What he said.^^^^^^^^^^

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Dreadfully sorry to hear about your misfortune. And of course at this awful time with the virus and mid-winter to boot! :cry:

Hope the road to your return home won't be too long and painful, but appreciate it can be a massive job to sort out. :unsure:

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
So sorry to read this, it feels worse than ever having this happen on top of general life being miserable. I hope you get sorted as soon as possible with the assessor and can get back to your home.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Sorry to read of your troubles.

Could I respectfully suggest that, (assuming you are 'House' Insured) you DO NOT offer to live in your 'van.

You have paid to insure your home. At the same time, you have paid to insure the 'van.
No doubt, as part of your House insurance, they, the insurers, will pay for alternative accommodation.

You ALREADY have paid for your 'van. I cannot see the House insurer compensating you in any manner for you using your van as accommodation.

Furthermore, should your 'van Insurer be told, (or find out) that instead of using your van for leisure purposes, you used it as full time occupation, you may find out that you are financially penalised should you have to make a a claim.

Your 'van may become a haven in the next few months when the strain of getting your home back into a fit state for habitation becomes too much and it would allow you to 'Escape' but the use of the vehicle should be on your terms, not that of the Insurance Co.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Sorry to hear of your flooding,noted you are in Warrington which has been on the news ,re floods,whereabouts in Warrington are you?
Good to know you saved your motorhome and car.worst case you can stay in that for a couple of nights
Best of luck with your insurance.
Ps agree with the above post from Emmit , good point (y)

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
Terrible start to the year for you, nightmare for all involved. Be very careful with Insurance assessor, remember they are there not to help you, but to minimise the cost to the insurance company.

Jul 26, 2018
Funster No
Sorry to hear that....flooding is a terrible thing. Photos and receipts for insurance! Hope you can get it sorted quickly.

Jul 4, 2013
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
IH 600RD
Exp
Since 2017
You are about to find out how good your insurance company are . I have recently renewed my home insurance and one of the option I could have added was the services of a claims assessor which suggested to me that the insurers would be trying to wriggle out of paying the full claim . So often on Forums such as this the best insurer is deemed to be the cheapest, that is of course until a claim is made . Sorry to hear of your predicament and from now on your premiums will go up when the question is asked have you made a claim in the past five years and the has your home even been subject to flooding ? To add to the doom and gloom the value of your house might also have just gone down as a house that floods is not quite so desirable .

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
Sorry, water is horrible when it is where you don't want it . Whatever you do, DO NOT, offer the van, make sure they (Insurance co ) find you accommodation and the trades to make any repairs. there have been serious issues with some people taking cash settlements and then not being able to complete the work/dodgy builders. there were bad floods locally near me 2 years ago and some people are still not back in (Corvid did not help)
Also if the insurance company are paying your costs they have more incentive to get the job done and they are ultimately responsible for the quality of the work
God luck I hope you not out of your home too long.

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
Do not use your van, with flooding damage is your house sewage system safe, sewers could be clogged with mud. If living full time in van you will need to empty the toilet cassette more often, where would you do that if sewage system damaged. Do you still have access to fresh water, is your house electrical supply still connected.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
I may be wrong but I think the op lives in a council house? So may only have contents insurance.... hence being moved by the council, if your private housing I think your left to your own devices re accommodation...?

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
What rotten luck!

Flooding, with dirty water, is totally demoralising.

Assuming you are insured make sure that you claim for everything that is damaged even if it appears to be slight. Things may start to smell after a while.

My sister-in-law was flooded, badly, twice in five years. She learned her lesson the first time and made a fuller claim the second. Following the first flood she didn’t claim for everything as “she didn’t like to”.

Good luck and best wishes.

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
A terrible experience, we were flooded in 2007 and had to move out for six months, three months of that drying out. The whole of our downstairs was gutted out, no floors, all of the plaster removed.
Long term it was a good thing to have happened as we ended with new subfloor, new damp proof course, new wiring, new kitchen and the whole of the downstairs replastered and decorated. The house was better afterwards, though it was still a toss up between whether it was better it had never happened, a very stressful period.
The NFU were brilliant, though now won’t insure us.

Sep 10, 2017
Funster No
We had a water leak a few years ago while we were on holiday which caused so much damage in the two weeks we were away we had to move out for 4 months. The insurance covered everything including the house we rented. At first they wanted to send us to a hotel for a couple of weeks until I pointed out that I didn’t think they would find one that would accept our 2 very young daughters, 2 spaniels, 30 chickens, 6 ducks, 3 geese and the cat!
after that they were great and sorted everything until the house was ready for us to move back in.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Bad news for you, hope you get it sorted and quickly.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
We suffered from flood damage so know the feeling, we was always expecting it living near a river, and although we had many close ones, sealing the front door and so on, it never happened, 😲 when it did happen it happened in minutes came down the field behind us, that was the only time it had sugar beet in there, it came in the back and out the front the soil that came with it blocked our cesspit pit up and all the drain offs all the sewage obviously went everywhere, the fire brigade pumped us out and advised us to throw all the carpet outside because the insurance company would try and clean them. 🙄

An awful experience but very little you can do about it, the worst thing was it had never flooded before, and we lived there 12 years, and the insurance went sky high and we was put in a flood plain, even though the river never caused it. 🤔
That was the only reason we sold and moved in 2006, and the people that we sold to still live there . 👍

We now live not much above sea level, we are in the second apartment block ground floor, block one has flooded. 🤔
We can't help it, 😉 living life on the edge. 😁

Good luck with the clear up, many people get flooded in places you wouldn't think possible. 🤔 Bob.

P3290139.JPG View.JPG

Last edited:
May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
Sorry to hear such sad news. I went to work on Thursday morning and there was 3 inches of thick muddy water everywhere inside the factory. Third time in a year. It had never happened before then, it was an awful mess to clean up. Can't imagine it in my home. :(

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Some poor bloke in Bewdley on the news yesterday saying they hadn't yet moved back in after the February floods as the contractors hadn't yet finished putting their house right- and the temporary flood barriers at Beales Corner overtopped again in the early hours this morning. They promised to install permanent flood barriers on the Kidderminster side of the river in February, same as they had already all along Severnside on the opposite bank and which have frequently been needed and employed. Practically none of this type of water ingress used to happen at Bewdley when Trimpley reservoir was used as a run off for the flooded Severn - but then the sailing club started whinging that boats were being damaged by great tree trunks and suchlike carried by the river crashing into them.

You let them run a sailing club on a reservoir that was only created in the first place to drain the river ... exactly what is it about the words 'flood plain' and 'run off' that you don't seem to be able to grasp?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back