LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2017
Chester
Funster No
MH
Self Build W907 PVC
Exp
Sept 2017
Heard a Chinook pass overhead and wondered what he was up to at this time of night...

200 ft passes down the Broughton Runway...?

Screenshot_20240306-205822_Flightradar24.jpg

On his way back to Wem now.

Cheers
Red.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
During Covid lockdown a lot of RAF fighters and transport did that on local airports Liverpool and Manchester taking advantage as there were no commercial flights around. Stunning to see a Hercules nearly standing on a wingtip in a tight bank.

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
Nothing really just pointing it out. I tried to upload AdS-b screenshot but it was too big a file 🥴
A Typhoon going into Liverpool doesn’t happen often, after it left Scouseport it flew over us 👍🏻
No I was just interested.....
We regularly see touch and go landing at Prestwick Airport by all sorts of planes both military and commercial but Prestwick does tend to be quite quiet..
Used to love going down to see Concorde doing training flights there..

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
No I was just interested.....
We regularly see touch and go landing at Prestwick Airport by all sorts of planes both military and commercial but Prestwick does tend to be quite quiet..
Used to love going down to see Concorde doing training flights there..
Prestwick is a full service airfield with all the electronic equipment used to land aircraft such as ILS etc, and because it is quieter than Glasgow it’s a good airfield on the West coast to use. If you watch ADS-B or Flightradar24 most weekdays you will see an A400m Atlas fly up the east coast,cross over to Prestwick then back home to Brize Norton 👍🏻
When I was flying we often flew into Prestwick for fuel before flying onto Mull, Skye and once even Stornoway.

Jan 17, 2014
Wellington, Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
Heard a Chinook pass overhead and wondered what he was up to at this time of night...

200 ft passes down the Broughton Runway...?

View attachment 872143

On his way back to Wem now.

Cheers
Red.
Playing, out from RAF Shawbury helicopter pilot training school and air traffic training I believe, certainly used to be.

You will notice A400Ms fly over Shawbury on most of their sorties northwards out of Brize Norton very often do the same on their return south to BZZ.

Jul 26, 2018
Funster No
About 8pm tonight there were eight typhoons out, two apache helicopters and a chinook…..don’t recall seeing that many out at the same time?

OP
OP
monzer
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
Reports of a spitfire crashed in to a field near Coningsby. Going to check playback in FR24 to see if anything shows up.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Reports of a spitfire crashed in to a field near Coningsby. Going to check playback in FR24 to see if anything shows up.

It was at a Battle Britain event.
Fingers crossed for the pilot, but the Spit looks to be well wrecked. :cry:

1716649716133.png

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Deserves it's own thread. I just drove past on the way to my mum's and all the roads leading to New York appear to be closed. Sad loss of the plane, I really hope the pilot is ok.

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
Deserves it's own thread. I just drove past on the way to my mum's and all the roads leading to New York appear to be closed. Sad loss of the plane, I really hope the pilot is ok.
Indeed.. very sad, for valuable historic plane and even more so the pilot.. no word as such, but hope they ok...
Hoever. On another note, as they say every day a school day...
Never knew there was a New York in England..

dna

Jan 17, 2010
Llandudno
Funster No
MH
AT Tribute 680 pvc
Exp
since 2009
Bradford had the Walls of Jerico (in a hamlet called Egypt) which were a challenge for learner drivers. These survived until the 1980's when they were eventually replaced by a new road due to the walls becoming unsafe

1716721414831.png

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Feb 2, 2019
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740C
Exp
Paulypaul if your comment was referring to bobnick and Twatt, I believe he was adding to the list of places in Scotland, which indeed includes one called Twatt, and not to the pilot.
No I did know that so wasn't having a pop at anyone. I was just referring back to the original subject as it seemed to be digressing into a place name thread.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I was just referring back to the original subject as it seemed to be digressing into a place name thread.
The original topic was Flight 24. The spitfire crash and pilot death were also a digression.
I expect most of us can hold more than one thought at once.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005

First picture of RAF pilot killed in Spitfire crash​

Squadron Leader Mark Long was due to take over the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight next year
Sqn Ldr Mark Long

The pilot of a Spitfire involved in a fatal crash in Lincolnshire has been named.
Ministry of Defence officials named the pilot as Squadron Leader Mark Long, who was due to take over the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight next year.
Sqn Ldr Long was killed when the Spitfire he was flying crashed shortly after takeoff from RAF Coningsby, Lincolnshire, on Saturday.
It is believed that a catastrophic event happened at a very low level, leaving Sqn Ldr Long with few options to avoid the subsequent crash.
The pilot was flying as part of the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight (BBMF), which operates a number of Second World War RAF aircraft to commemorate the 1.2 million people who served in the Air Force between 1939 and 1945.
His senior officer Group Captain Robbie Lees, Commander Display Air Wing, said: “It is with great sorrow that I must confirm the death of Squadron Leader Mark Long.
“Mark was a Typhoon pilot here at RAF Coningsby and for the last four years, he has been a pilot with the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight. A great friend, colleague, and a passionate, professional aviator he will be sorely missed by all that knew him.
“An investigation into the cause of this tragic event has now begun. The RAF will not be offering any comment on the accident until that investigation has concluded, and likewise, we ask others not to speculate.
“I would like to extend a sincere thank you to the RAF personnel, and our emergency services colleagues who responded so swiftly yesterday.
“Our thoughts remain with Mark’s family and friends to whom we offer our deepest sympathies. We ask that their privacy be respected at this tragic and shocking time.”

Sqn Ldr Long was flying as part of the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight (BBMF)

Sqn Ldr Long was flying as part of the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight (BBMF) Credit: Charlotte Graham

Sqn Ldr Long qualified to fly Spitfires in 2021 and was due to take over running the BBMF from its current commanding officer in 2025.
Like all BBMF aircrew, he was a regular RAF pilot who volunteered his time with the flight while holding down a ‘regular’ job in the Air Force.
His most recent RAF posting was as a flight commander on 29 Squadron at Coningsby, flying Eurofighter Typhoons.
Sqn Ldr Long joined the Air Force in 2003, having graduated from the University of Warwick.
As well as being the RAF’s Typhoon display pilot in 2016 he was also the last RAF Harrier pilot qualified to fly from an aircraft carrier.
During his career on the Typhoon force, Sqn Ldr Long was posted to 11 Squadron at Coningsby, deploying to the Baltics and the South Atlantic.
A further posting to 29 Squadron, also at Coningsby, saw him return to instructing.
He lived in Lincolnshire with his wife and two daughters.

Police in hazmats enter the tent covering the crash site

Police in hazmats enter a tent covering the crash site

Tributes were paid to the pilot on Saturday night after news spread of the fatal crash.
The Prince and Princess of Wales said in a post on X, formerly known as Twitter: “Incredibly sad to hear of the news this afternoon from RAF Coningsby.
“Our thoughts this evening are with the pilot’s loved ones, the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight, and the wider RAF family. W & C.”
Rishi Sunak said in a post on X: “Awful news to see the life of a serving RAF pilot cut short in this tragic event. My thoughts are with their family and loved ones.”
Sir Keir Starmer said: “Deeply saddened by news from Lincolnshire. Thank you to the emergency services for their response. My thoughts are with the pilot’s family at this awful time.”
Accident investigators are now examining the wreckage of aircraft which was overhauled during winter, with engineers dismantling and inspecting it to ensure it remained safe to fly.
Footage published by the BBMF in recent weeks showed the single-seat fighter, serial number MK356, having its engine tested during ground runs.
RAF Coningsby, where the Spitfire took off from, is home to the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight (BBMF).
It is also the training base for Eurofighter Typhoon pilots and is home to two frontline combat-ready squadrons.
The BBMF is the RAF’s collection of wartime fighter and bomber aircraft that take part in air shows and memorial displays.
The flight was inaugurated on July 11, 1957, at RAF Biggin Hill, just south of London.
It was originally known as the RAF Historic Aircraft Flight and consisted of three PR Mk XIX Spitfires and the RAF’s last airworthy Hurricane, LF363.
It was then renamed as the Battle of Britain Flight before a final rebranding in 1969 when the word “memorial” was added to its name as the four-engined Lancaster bomber joined the flight.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back