Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Ive heard they are unreliable if glued down, but has anyone fitted them on a rail or similar to give rear ventilation.
Will this make them reliable? They are very cheap now, a 130w for under £70 so thouht of getting one to either put on my windscreen when parked , or fitted on ali sections on the roof to allow ventilation.
Any thoughts from those in the know?

Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Ive heard they are unreliable if glued down, but has anyone fitted them on a rail or similar to give rear ventilation.
Will this make them reliable? They are very cheap now, a 130w for under £70 so thouht of getting one to either put on my windscreen when parked , or fitted on ali sections on the roof to allow ventilation.
Any thoughts from those in the know?

Being aware of failures of semi-flexibles due to overheating when bonded to a roof with no air gap for cooling and along with the expansion and contracting of the panels causing conductor joints to fail, I went for mounting my two semi-flexible on lightweight multiwall polycarbonate roofing sheet which gives stiffness to the panel and also allows airflow to dissipate heat away from the panels. Each panel is secured to the roof in six places on 18mm thick mountings.
They have been up there for 6 years now and neither has failed, so either I'm just lucky or my mounting method is keeping them alive.

1716549636595.png

Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now
Maybe ‘unreliable’ if glued and sealed to a metal surface with no provision for ventilation underneath?

If mounted to a roof correctly with beads of mastic in a ‘ladder’ pattern then no problem (that I’ve experienced).

That's how I fitted them on my last van along with penny washers. still working well 3 years down the line as far as I am aware

Nov 2, 2022
Gloucestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Eliseo C602
Exp
Since 2016
I have had 3 flexible panels fail on previous vans. All the panels were premium brands I paid extra for, German cells, ETFE coating and reinforced backing.

All had strips of flexible Sika adhesive with 4mm ventilation air gaps over whole area, water drainage outlets, etc.

I would never buy a semi-flexible panel again.....

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 11, 2018
N Wales nr Chester
Funster No
MH
Citroen Relay pvc
Exp
16yrs
I have no choice other than semi flexible solar panel - what adhesive is best for fitting into a GPR / ‘plastic’ roof ?

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
I have no choice other than semi flexible solar panel - what adhesive is best for fitting into a GPR / ‘plastic’ roof ?

You don't have to bond a semi flexible solar panel directly to you roof.
I made my own mountings to mount my semi flexible solar panels, but these mounts are available to give you an air gap under semi flexible solar panel.

Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
Being aware of failures of semi-flexibles due to overheating when bonded to a roof with no air gap for cooling and along with the expansion and contracting of the panels causing conductor joints to fail, I went for mounting my two semi-flexible on lightweight multiwall polycarbonate roofing sheet which gives stiffness to the panel and also allows airflow to dissipate heat away from the panels. Each panel is secured to the roof in six places on 18mm thick mountings.
They have been up there for 6 years now and neither has failed, so either I'm just lucky or my mounting method is keeping them alive.

View attachment 900791
Sounds a good idea, but I wonder if it sounds like,
from behind. 🤣.
Mike

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp

View attachment 900791
I'm unconvinced that a tiny channel that's probably nearly a metre long will pass much air without it being forced. Which way is the air going to flow? Where is the cool air to replace it coming from? Note that the same stuff is used as cheap double glazing because it doesn't encourage air flow.

What's the advantage of making it non-flexible? Isn't it easier just to mount a solid panel?

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
What's the advantage of making it non-flexible? Isn't it easier just to mount a solid panel?

On a curved roof it's not, which is why I suspect Vikdikdok has said that they have no chose but to fit semi flexible.

I'm unconvinced

Unconvinced you may be but my 6 years of real life experience appears says different. (y)

Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022

I used Dekasyl MS-2

Oct 24, 2020
Funster No
MH
VW
Exp
Since 2017
I’ve got my fingers crossed.

2x panels fitted 2019 on my nice and smooth fibreglass super high roof and still going strong.

🤞🤞

IMG_3862.jpeg

Apr 19, 2022
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Was in El Campello last week and spoke to a guy who was changing a flexible panel. It had burned his roof in several places. He was replacing it with a rigid panel but having to re position it due to the roof curve.

Jul 8, 2020
Funster No
MH
Don't yet own one
Exp
Flexible panels, and I mean truly flexible, are very different from semi-flexible ones.
They use a different cell technology that is not very heat sensitive, and have no metal or other backing.
The ones I've had on my narrowboats roof for about 15 years were so flexible that they were delivered rolled up into cylinders about 250 mm in diameter.
They have self adhesive backing, so you just peel off the backing paper & stick them down onto a clean, dry surface.
They can be walked on (no hobnail boots of course), work well even when the steel of my boat roof is too hot to touch and are highly resistant to damage & attempted theft.
The only downside is that they are pricier per kW than conventional panels, but even that problem has reduced a bit since I bought mine. They are only about 3 mm thick, so no profile rather than low profile.
Bimble Solar were the suppliers of my last one.

Oct 24, 2020
Funster No
MH
VW
Exp
Since 2017
Flexible panels, and I mean truly flexible, are very different from semi-flexible ones.
They use a different cell technology that is not very heat sensitive, and have no metal or other backing.
The ones I've had on my narrowboats roof for about 15 years were so flexible that they were delivered rolled up into cylinders about 250 mm in diameter.
They have self adhesive backing, so you just peel off the backing paper & stick them down onto a clean, dry surface.
They can be walked on (no hobnail boots of course), work well even when the steel of my boat roof is too hot to touch and are highly resistant to damage & attempted theft.
The only downside is that they are pricier per kW than conventional panels, but even that problem has reduced a bit since I bought mine. They are only about 3 mm thick, so no profile rather than low profile.
Bimble Solar were the suppliers of my last one.
Thanks for that, ours arrived in a narrow diameter roll 👍

Apr 19, 2022
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Was in El Campello last week and spoke to a guy who was changing a flexible panel. It had burned his roof in several places. He was replacing it with a rigid panel but having to re position it due to the roof curve

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back