Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Sep 13, 2018
Ludlow, UK
Funster No
MH
elddis 105 2015
Exp
before this it was in the 90 s
My wife and I have crossed the Channel numerous times, most usually to Dover with DFDS and the last few trips have caused my wife great distress and no little fear when returning to our vehicle

When we have gone to the correct floor and exited from the stairs to the vehicles we have invariably had as little as 9 inches before the side of a wagon is in front of us The space between bumpers of cars vans or wagons is very often less than 9 inches

Once all the wagons start their engines it is quite a terrifying experience trying to locate our vehicle, so much so that my wife is quite frankly scared

We both understand that space equals money to the Ferry companies so they get as many vehicles on board as possible however is there a straight forward answer to this problem? Do all Ferry companies pack the vehicles so tightly or do any of you good people know differently?

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Some of the older ferries struggle for deck space as cars have got bigger over the years. The distance side to side of the vehicles is thus reduced and the company has no control over this. More modern ferries have marginally wider lanes.

Upvote 0
Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
My wife and I have crossed the Channel numerous times, most usually to Dover with DFDS and the last few trips have caused my wife great distress and no little fear when returning to our vehicle

When we have gone to the correct floor and exited from the stairs to the vehicles we have invariably had as little as 9 inches before the side of a wagon is in front of us The space between bumpers of cars vans or wagons is very often less than 9 inches

Once all the wagons start their engines it is quite a terrifying experience trying to locate our vehicle, so much so that my wife is quite frankly scared

We both understand that space equals money to the Ferry companies so they get as many vehicles on board as possible however is there a straight forward answer to this problem? Do all Ferry companies pack the vehicles so tightly or do any of you good people know differently?
Yes.
Roll On/Roll Off (RoRo) ferries are measured by the lane meter.
Every meter counts.
If you were travelling longer distance by ship they would put foam blocks between the vehicles to reduce the space still further.

They also want to reduce the damage (to the ship) in case of say a rogue wave that causes vehicle to slide around. So it better if they are all tightly packed together.

Upvote 0
Nov 14, 2018
Europe
Funster No
MH
A grey one
Exp
since 1996
In 1988 I took a ferry from Piraeus to Cyprus and once you'd got out of your car they got the next one so close you could not open the doors. The theory was that on exit you had to wait your turn until they'ed moved the car next to you to you could get back in. I'd left something important in the car and had to climb in through the hatchback to get in the car.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
Its how it is on all the ferries Ive been on. Space equals money Im afraid, best advice is get down early I suppose

Upvote 0
Nov 23, 2008
Funster No
Worked on Irish Sea services in 70s and 80s we would sometimes pack em so close together on peak capacity sailings customers had to exit through windows ah the good old days when ferry services had state ownership.

Upvote 0
Oct 20, 2016
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 625
Exp
Since 2016 and caravanning before that
Many years ago we were on a Sea France ferry out of Dover. We had a Fiat Doblo with sliding rear doors which was useful as that was the only way the coach driver taking some Standard Liege fans home was able to get to his coach. A couple of fans used the same route through the back of our car too. Very polite they were too and donated a can of beer

Upvote 1

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Good point regarding size of vehicles, as it’s got to the point that it’s a flippin joke. Like the mini, now bigger than most every other vehicle in its class. Also means very few can use their garages at home, as they were built for the cars of yesteryear. Ferries being one example now as well as the standard size of most car parking spaces.

In my town, big 4x4’s are everywhere and mostly driven by the opposite sex, who honestly struggle in them, usually taking up 2 spaces in car parks. Witnessed many times here.

Shame wages haven’t grown as much 😅

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Some of the older ferries struggle for deck space as cars have got bigger over the years. The distance side to side of the vehicles is thus reduced and the company has no control over this. More modern ferries have marginally wider lanes.

You have solved the problem for the ferry companies - paint wider lanes.

Upvote 1
Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Used to work on the Inter-Island RO-RO.

Space wasn't the crews fault or the shore side crew loading the ship. It was the Company, They sold the tickets, we just got a load sheet as the ferry was docking, so many Cars, Sea-freighters, Trucks, Freezers.

Upvote 1
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years

The ops problem is obviously solved by going on the tunnel.

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I also find it unsettling to squeeze between trucks, especially when some have started their engines. It can be tricky finding the m/h as others have arrived after I've parked and hidden mine. I always take a few moments to stand at the deck exit door and fix a mental picture of where the m/h is in relation to fixtures on the ceiling or walls - water hydrants, hydraulic valves, crew notices etc.

Upvote 0
Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
You have solved the problem for the ferry companies - paint wider lanes.
Wider lanes mean higher prices. Same in supermarkets, try getting out your car when a Chelsea tractor parks next to you ? I have an SUV type car so I just might put a “baby on board sticker” on so I can park in the Mother with kids section. 😎

Upvote 0
Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Wider lanes means building new ferries.

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I have dodgy hips and knees and can only get in or out of my car if I can fully open the door. Most marked spaces aren't wide enough so I usually spread myself into the adjacent empty space if I cant get on the end of a row. I suppose I should try to get a blue badge, but probably not bad enough to earn one.
Much less of a problem in the motorhome as it is much higher and I more slide out or heave myself upwards.

Edit on checking the only way to get a blue badge is if I was entitled to an assortment of benefits, which I'm not. So will just have to carry on with bad parking. Fortunately I hate any sort of shopping so my parking in marked bays is usually of short duration.

Upvote 0

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Here we go, problem sorted 👍🏻

5928611C-F711-46E2-8DE2-B0575CD0B159.gif

5F5B8AD3-E754-485B-A672-8EDD078E425D.gif

Upvote 0

hja

May 8, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit Prim
Exp
Since 2019
I have dodgy hips and knees and can only get in or out of my car if I can fully open the door. Most marked spaces aren't wide enough so I usually spread myself into the adjacent empty space if I cant get on the end of a row. I suppose I should try to get a blue badge, but probably not bad enough to earn one.
Much less of a problem in the motorhome as it is much higher and I more slide out or heave myself upwards.

Edit on checking the only way to get a blue badge is if I was entitled to an assortment of benefits, which I'm not. So will just have to carry on with bad parking. Fortunately I hate any sort of shopping so my parking in marked bays is usually of short duration.
You dont need to be in receipt of any benefits to get a Blue Badge. I have one, and the only benefit I receive is my state pension. For a mobility badge its all about how far you can walk, breathing difficulties, walking up hills, carrying shopping and I always say I need to open door fully to enter/exit cars. I think for a first issue you need a medical assessment, but not usually after that.

Upvote 0

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along

One checking in ask to be parked by the stairs you will see that these spaces are saved for disabled or people with poor mobility but parking near the wall will give you direct access to your vehicle and use the stairs that you went up to go back down also wait until last to go down to the car deck .this should help

Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
You dont need to be in receipt of any benefits to get a Blue Badge. I have one, and the only benefit I receive is my state pension. For a mobility badge its all about how far you can walk, breathing difficulties, walking up hills, carrying shopping and I always say I need to open door fully to enter/exit cars. I think for a first issue you need a medical assessment, but not usually after that.
We used the hospital discharge notes to get FIL's blue badge, when we had to renew it I expected it to be just a form, he is 94 and not ever going to get any better, but we still needed his medical records from his doctor.

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
One checking in ask to be parked by the stairs you will see that these spaces are saved for disabled or people with poor mobility
My DIL has a blue badge (only a partly successful spine reconstruction/scaffolding) and always books a disabled spot next to the doors and lift on the Newhaven ferry.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D
Sep 13, 2018
Ludlow, UK
Funster No
MH
elddis 105 2015
Exp
before this it was in the 90 s
One checking in ask to be parked by the stairs you will see that these spaces are saved for disabled or people with poor mobility but parking near the wall will give you direct access to your vehicle and use the stairs that you went up to go back down also wait until last to go down to the car deck .this should help
Thank you for that info, a very sensible suggestion which I will try- thanks again

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970

No bother on the tunnel.For a real experience of tight parking try a Greek Ferry,,You have to exit your vehicle before the next row park,,probably 3 inches apart.BUSBY

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
DFDS dover > dunkirk , never had a problem can walk between lines of vehicles carrying a bag . Same across the fronts. was like that long before covid & since then I haven't seen a full ferry ?

Upvote 0

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014

The ability to get a Disabled badge has nothing to do with benefits.
If you are not mobile because of disability, your first port of call( Sorry, couldn't resist) is your Dr. If he/she/them/it supports your application, you should get one.

Upvote 0

stuartholmes

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 18, 2022
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1989
I suppose I should try to get a blue badge, but probably not bad enough to earn one.
It's not about 'earning', it's just eligibility. I'm sure you meant that but I thought I'd mention because the subtle difference can matter to some people.

Upvote 0
Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Forte
Exp
10years
It's not about 'earning', it's just eligibility. I'm sure you meant that but I thought I'd mention because the subtle difference can matter to some people.

I understood it as earn as in get something you deserve - he earned her affection, he earned the respect of his crew - rather than an implication it could be bought. I say this earnestly and in all earnest but I myself am eligible to being bribed.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back