First time out but cut short.... (1 Viewer)

Kerry9

Free Member
Sep 16, 2018
Torbay
Funster No
MH
Motorhome owner
Exp
Rimor Sailer 645 2.7 TC fixed rear bed on Mercedes chassis and engine.
We took our newly-bought pre-owned 02 plate Rimor Sailer 645 out for the first time this weekend but we are back home because it was wet, cold and stormy ( at the C and C Club site at Minehead) - because we couldn't get the gas fire to ignite. Gas feed to the cooker and hob worked, as did the fridge on gas ( couldn't get it to cool on EHU feed). Water pump and boiler also worked. To stay warm we lit the oven and left the door down for an hour. Wind was so strong we couldn't have done without the stabilizers!

So its back to Alan Kerr Motorhomes to get the gas feed to the gas fire sorted.

On the digital display screen there was one selection that displayed the message 'parallel on' or ' parallel off' - what does that mean please?

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Did you remove the cover from outside if it has one? In fact thats for the boiler.

OP
OP
Kerry9

Kerry9

Free Member
Sep 16, 2018
Torbay
Funster No
MH
Motorhome owner
Exp
Yes.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 11, 2016
ipswich
Funster No
MH
Not sure
Exp
1 year
The fire in my 02 Kontiki has an AA battery to produce the spark and has caught me out a couple of times. Always carry a couple of spares now.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Did the fire actually light? Is it a gas fire? Have you tried changing the little battery at the fire?

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
To stay warm we lit the oven and left the door down for an hour.

Should never use a gas oven with the door open or the gas hob for heating

If the oven can't vent it will give off CO - it can't vent properly with the door open

OP
OP
Kerry9

Kerry9

Free Member
Sep 16, 2018
Torbay
Funster No
MH
Motorhome owner
Exp
Yes, we changed the battery in the 'clicker' - it was clicking away - but no gas. So, no, the fire did not light at all - and no hissing of gas feeding.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Have you got a carbon monoxide alarm?

OP
OP
Kerry9

Kerry9

Free Member
Sep 16, 2018
Torbay
Funster No
MH
Motorhome owner
Exp
Yes, all red switches under the sink were in the lateral position with the arrows at nine oclock and three o clock. And yes, we have a CO alarm.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Have you tried it again now that you are home and the wind has subsided? On our auto trail we needed a flue extension as the wind kept blowing the fire out. Worth a try?

Feb 16, 2017
Southampton
Funster No
MH
AT tracker 2002
Exp
On n off fer years
If it doesn't light on the spark lift the front cover off because maybe the previous owner's been lighting it with bits of paper and the pilot burner is full of ash so won't light . that was the problem with mine.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I'm parked on the shore at Arbroath just now waves are crashing winds blowing and the vans rocking. ....brilliant

Had to turn the heater off as too cosy lol

I wouldn't use the oven or hob for heating too dangerous.
Can't help with hookup stuff as I never use it but gas problems can be caused by the wind

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
@Kerry9.

Hi there. :)

I'm really sorry that you have had a crappy first outing with your MH, and are now seeking the advice of others re your heating system. :(
So far, you appear to have evaded a safety issue, and not responded to the best advice yet, as quoted below. That advice alone, could save your life. :eek:

Should never use a gas oven with the door open or the gas hob for heating

If the oven can't vent it will give off CO - it can't vent properly with the door open

The contributors mean well, and their advice is absolutely spot on.

Stay safe. (y)

Jock. :)

OP
OP
Kerry9

Kerry9

Free Member
Sep 16, 2018
Torbay
Funster No
MH
Motorhome owner
Exp
@JockandRita

PLease be assured that we certainly have taken on board the sober advice re CO poisoning - apologies to all - please accept my thanks for your posts and advice.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I dont want to point out the bloody obvious but you did push down and hold the knob in fully on the fire? otherwise could be a gummed up or blocked gas jet

OP
OP
Kerry9

Kerry9

Free Member
Sep 16, 2018
Torbay
Funster No
MH
Motorhome owner
Exp
We did the light- up drills by the book. Let's see what our local motorhome folk find out.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I take your gas is propane as this time of year you will not get enough pressure or flow rate from butane if the temperature drops much below 10° C.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
I thought about that possibility too Lenny, but kerry9 did say that everything else worked on gas, including the boiler. :(

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
My Carver heater in the 1991 Eriba had a 'spark generator' powered by 2 AA batteries.

The condition of the 'generator', batteries and leads meant no spark and therefore the fire would not light.

I fitted an 'old fashioned' piezo unit - lights first time every time

Could you see the spark?

Last edited:

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
2 common issues on the gas fires are igniter battery but you should have a view hole to see if you have a Spark.
Next is air lock, many times after being stood the fire will be the hardest to get going, ours just needs enough gas to bleed through.. just your luck you will get to dealer and it fires up after a few clicks ;).

Glad to see you took and responded to advise about CO2 and not to use the oven or hob as a source of heat. (y)
Better trip next time, don't let it put you off.

soreeyes

Free Member
Feb 21, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Sunlight T69L 2017
Exp
im a newbie
Might sound silly but did you depress the knob as most fires and fridges need some lighting operations to overcome the flame failure device .

Even if items don't light as they need purging to get the air out before gas you should hear a slight hiss . The fact the oven worked for an hour sounds like the gas was working from the bottle be it butane .

As said hobs and oven create poisoning gases .

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Yes, all red switches under the sink were in the lateral position with the arrows at nine oclock and three o clock. And yes, we have a CO alarm.
Hopefully it’s sorted by now.

As a thought, I have all the red gas isolation valves under the cooker, however there is another one on the other side of the van, just for the fire, could you have the same?

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
I'm parked on the shore at Arbroath just now waves are crashing winds blowing and the vans rocking. ....brilliant

Had to turn the heater off as too cosy lol

Can't help with hookup stuff as I never use it but gas problems can be caused by the wind
There was a time when you didn’t need the wind to get the van rocking :)

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
We took our newly-bought pre-owned 02 plate Rimor Sailer 645 out for the first time this weekend but we are back home because it was wet, cold and stormy ( at the C and C Club site at Minehead) - because we couldn't get the gas fire to ignite. Gas feed to the cooker and hob worked, as did the fridge on gas ( couldn't get it to cool on EHU feed). Water pump and boiler also worked. To stay warm we lit the oven and left the door down for an hour. Wind was so strong we couldn't have done without the stabilizers!

So its back to Alan Kerr Motorhomes to get the gas feed to the gas fire sorted.

On the digital display screen there was one selection that displayed the message 'parallel on' or ' parallel off' - what does that mean please?
Sorry to hear you had to cut short your first trip.

Would be interested to know the outcome, once you'd been back to the dealer?

May 19, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1995
As you were on EHU why didn't you pop out and spend a tenner on a cheap fan heater.

As for a bit of wind we love it on a cliff top on the west coast of Portugal a few nights ago gale blowing, van really rocking. Love it always sleep well when it's like that.

Was the wind inside or outside.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back