First time in France - lots of questions (1 Viewer)

rosemaryd

Free Member
Sep 3, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2015
Hi all

Off to France for the first time. Travelling on the ferry to Caen and then planning to tour along the Normandy/Brittany coast.

What do we need to take to France?

Special stuff for the vehicle?
Different electric lead/adaptor?

Going end of next week and haven't booked anywhere to stay so starting to panic! Will we need to book, everyone on here seems to wing it and turn up at aires but I'm a bit worried about security on them. Travelling with two kids so want to feel safe.

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance. Rosemary

JackieP

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006
Security wise you'll be fine. You'll soon get a feel for it as soon as you pull up and if you don't feel comfortable then move to the next one (probably just up the road when you're in France).

Have you downloaded Camper Contact to your phone? You can download the maps for France and use them offline. Lots of aires listed and lots of reviews and tops about individual aires. 5 squids a year it costs but well worth it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
One of these will be useful, not all sites use the three pin connector used in the UK. www.amazon.co.uk/Streetwize-European-Electric-Adapter-SWTT44/dp/B006B3QTJ6
You can probably find it cheaper elsewhere but eBay deliveries can be very slow.
Aires are very safe in France, but avoid the "aires" on motorways, they are a different thing and not always very secure.
You should be able to get into campsites but popular ones on the coast could be busy but the end of August is after the main rush. I wouldn't book.
The ACSI books will identify good campsites for you although you won't get the discount until probably the beginning of September.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
It will be towards the end of August so there should be plenty of space on sites and aires. Don't drive too far in one day so that you arrive early to mid afternoon and you will be fine.
If you need EHU you might need a 2 pin French style adaptor to plug in the end of your cable although most sites now have the standard 3 pin socket, same as UK.

There are a few rules and regs. that you must abide by and can be found on various websites, AA, Caravan Club etc. For instance, you must carry hi-vis vests for each person and they must be stored in the vehicle and worn in the event of breakdown etc.

By the way, Aires are great and we have never felt uncomfortable on one. As many others have said 'If it doesn't feel right just move on'.

Enjoy your trip.

Richard.

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
If you manage to get out of Britain without being mugged, burgled, raped, road-rage-attacked, pick-pocketed, or murdered, you'll be safe as houses until you get back there again.

Crime rates in most mainland European countries are only a tiny fraction of those in Britain.

The time to worry is when you are IN Britain, NOT when you are in France/Spain/Portugal/Germany etc.

OP
OP
rosemaryd

rosemaryd

Free Member
Sep 3, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2015
Thanks all for your replies - much appreciated. And yes, my hubby reckons if it can happen in France, it can easily happen here too so he's not too worried.

OP
OP
rosemaryd

rosemaryd

Free Member
Sep 3, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2015
I forgot to ask - is it expensive in France. I sort of feel it's no longer cheap but have nothing to base that on. What do you think is a reasonable amount of euros to budget for each day - campsite or aire, maybe a meal. I realise that can give a very open ended answer but roughly? And what do you do about travel money - pre paid cards, credit cards, cash, mix of all?

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I forgot to ask - is it expensive in France. I sort of feel it's no longer cheap but have nothing to base that on. What do you think is a reasonable amount of euros to budget for each day - campsite or aire, maybe a meal. I realise that can give a very open ended answer but roughly? And what do you do about travel money - pre paid cards, credit cards, cash, mix of all?
I don't think there is an average for how much folk spend - it varies a lot I think.
Fuel - work on about ÂŁ1 per litre, supermarkets generally the cheapest and easiest to find to fill up at. Avoid motorway service stations as you do in the UK. :)
If you can find a Lidl or Aldi you will be able to shop quite cheaply. Carrefour are one of the more expensive ones in our experience. We find we spend less in France on food than we do on the UK but you can spend a lot more if you want to eat steak for example. We live on pasta, salads, fruit and cheap cuts of meat like burgers, sausages and chicken bits. Rarely buy beef.
For money a debit card in an ATM will generally give you a good rate but if offered the option select to be charged in Euros not Pounds. If you select Pounds you will get the bank's own rate which could be very poor. If you select Euros you will get the official Visa/Mastercard rate. There might be a transaction fee so best to use ATMs rarely but take out a good wodge of money when you do.
There are cards you can load money onto but it is probably too late to get one. Avoid the Post Office card as it gives a poor rate. In slower time you could investigate the Revolut card. The ATMs speak English, either by selecting this option initially or some ATM's do it automatically - by identifying pale knees or something like that. :)
Aires vary between free with free water, through free to park but say 2 euros for water to more expensive ones taking a card - except some don't like UK cards but these aren't too common although they exist. In many you have to buy a "jeton" or token to use in the water dispensing machine from somewhere. There will be a sign saying where you can buy them. On popular aires don't leave it too late to arrive or you may find it full.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Tea bags.
Food in France can be expensive, especially in the markets. You'll find lots of artisan sellers, I always found the cheese very expensive (€40 a kilo :Eeek:) You will find very fresh fruit, veg and fish though.
Auchan is a good mid priced supermarket, and you'll find Aldi and Lidl. Major roads will have hoardings showing which supermarkets are in the next major town.
Coastal holiday resorts tend to be a bit dearer than further inland but again if there's a major supermarket shouldn't be too bad.
Fresh milk can be a challenge to find. You won't find huge supplies and choice as long life milk is the norm.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Last Friday evening - for the first time ever - we were turned away from a campsite because it was full! However, it was mid-August, weekend, and a site recommended on here at the resort of Binic on the north Brittany coast. Found another site in the same resort, but more expensive at 31Euro with a hook-up for the two of us (came out at ÂŁ28 sterling on the credit card). Most campsites round here seem to be from about 23 Euro upwards for two with electric at the moment, but starting to reduce as the season progresses. And as others have mentioned, ACSI discounted prices will soon start becoming available again.

At the place we were turned away the lady said they would have space from the middle of this week onwards, so you should be fine.

Things have obviously got a bit more expensive because of the poor exchange rate. Best price we've been finding supermarket diesel is 1.16 Euro per litre, so a little over a ÂŁ1 at 1.09 Euro to ÂŁ1 - but still a tad less than in the U.K. I think?

Have a great trip in any case.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Fresh milk was one thing we found a challenge in France, Aldi and Lidl only sell long life. Carrefour and Auchan sell fresh.
I need fresh cold semi skimmed for my cornflakes !
Also for the men, swimming pools often don't allow swimming shorts ! Budgie smugglers only, no idea why ?
We did find cost of living quite high, drinks and eating out particularly and exchange rate has worsened since June !
You won't get much change from 50 euro for a main course meal for two with small beer or coffee and that's in an ordinary basic type restaurant.

OP
OP
rosemaryd

rosemaryd

Free Member
Sep 3, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2015
Last Friday evening - for the first time ever - we were turned away from a campsite because it was full! However, it was mid-August, weekend, and a site recommended on here at the resort of Binic on the north Brittany coast. Found another site in the same resort, but more expensive at 31Euro with a hook-up for the two of us (came out at ÂŁ28 sterling on the credit card). Most campsites round here seem to be from about 23 Euro upwards for two with electric at the moment, but starting to reduce as the season progresses. And as others have mentioned, ACSI discounted prices will soon start becoming available again.

Thanks - what was the site in Binic called? We are planning to head to that area I think.

OP
OP
rosemaryd

rosemaryd

Free Member
Sep 3, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2015
Thanks all for your replies - gives me a good idea of spend. Heard about fresh milk from hubby - seems bizarre in a nation that prides itself on fresh food.

Swimming trunks are to prevent paedophiles apparently - a friend with a house in France told me that's the reason. I'd forgotten about that. Have to sort something out for hubby, can't imagine him in speedos. :)

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
Fresh milk was one thing we found a challenge in France, Aldi and Lidl only sell long life. Carrefour and Auchan sell fresh.
I need fresh cold semi skimmed for my cornflakes !
Also for the men, swimming pools often don't allow swimming shorts ! Budgie smugglers only, no idea why ?
We did find cost of living quite high, drinks and eating out particularly and exchange rate has worsened since June !
You won't get much change from 50 euro for a main course meal for two with small beer or coffee and that's in an ordinary basic type restaurant.

To stop/reduce the amount of loose pubic hairs floating in the water. Same in many (most?) other countries around Europe.

If you want to eat cheaply in France you'll need to eat in-van, not out at a restaurant. Prices for restaurant meals and bar drinks are NOT cheap in our experience.

Pete5996

Free Member
Sep 18, 2016
Deep in the Lot
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2002

Not too sure about the paedophile/pubic hair reasons, to be honest......:D

It's a matter of hygiene and pool cleanliness - swim shorts or similar may, as far as the owners know, have been worn for days or weeks beforehand and harbour all sorts of unpleasantness.

There's another factor, too - water conservation. Big baggy Bermudas etc soak up a lot of water, so it doesn't take a group of lads very long, diving in and climbing out of the pool, to deposit a significant quantity on the pool surround.

Quite a few also insist on swim caps too, for both male and female.

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
I don't think there is an average for how much folk spend - it varies a lot I think.
Fuel - work on about ÂŁ1 per litre, supermarkets generally the cheapest and easiest to find to fill up at. Avoid motorway service stations as you do in the UK. :)
If you can find a Lidl or Aldi you will be able to shop quite cheaply. Carrefour are one of the more expensive ones in our experience. We find we spend less in France on food than we do on the UK but you can spend a lot more if you want to eat steak for example. We live on pasta, salads, fruit and cheap cuts of meat like burgers, sausages and chicken bits. Rarely buy beef.
For money a debit card in an ATM will generally give you a good rate but if offered the option select to be charged in Euros not Pounds. If you select Pounds you will get the bank's own rate which could be very poor. If you select Euros you will get the official Visa/

Camping Gaza

Free Member
May 7, 2016
La Châtre, Centre-Val de Loire France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low profile
Exp
Converted a Fiat Ducato PV a while back
Some very interesting theories on swimwear today. Water conservation? Pedophilia? Hairs? It'll be for the amusement of gay lifeguards next, ha ha.

But seriously folks (taken from an article in the guardian) :

Why the enforced parading of Frenchmen's bulges? "Hygiene," says Emmanuel Dormois, a head pool attendant in Paris's 11th arrondissement. "Small, tight trunks can only be used for swimming. Bermudas or bigger swimming shorts can be worn elsewhere all day, so could bring in sand, dust or other matter, disturbing the water quality. By banning them outright, we're not forced to stand there measuring what can be defined as swimming shorts. I accept that some men feel very ill at ease wearing small trunks, but others don't mind."

Similar reports of enforced Speedos come from traumatised English visitors to a Belgian water park where bigger swimming shorts were also banned.

Yet on the comparative freedom of French beaches men's crack-splitting tangas and tight nylon slips have gone out of fashion. The smallest tasteful covering is what French stylists call the "boxer" trunk, tight, Daniel Craig-style mini-shorts that look less like ladies' knickers. Not that public pool rules are never challenged. A feminist group has staged topless protests for the right of women to wear only bikini bottoms in line with men. Others argue that if bald men have to wear swimming hats how come others don't have to shave off their beards? And so the debate continues.

Last edited:

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Ooooops sorry old fartitis
Fresh milk is available in all French supermarkets but not Aldi and Lidl, food wise chicken and pork is a really good buy. Eating out, many restrauants have mene du jour from around 12 euros each including beverage.

The savings you can make using some of the excellent free or very cheap aires will soon offset any higher prices, oh and driving over here is so much easier, in fact France can become habit forming as you may detect from our location.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
mikebeaches said: ↑

Thanks - what was the site in Binic called? We are planning to head to that area I think.
It was Camping les Fauvettes at Binic, a municipal site:

http://www.binic-etables-sur-mer.fr/camping-municipal-les-fauvettes/

We were disappointed not to get in, but found a pitch at Camping Panoramique, which is on the side of town that you enter the resort. It was perfectly fine and had a covered swimming pool, but not terribly 'panoramic' from my perspective. ;)

Binic is a lovely little resort, bustling with quayside cafes and restaurants.

Reactions: DBK
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
If you want to eat out then try lunch rather than dinner. Many restaurants are open and usually offer good value 2 or 3 course meals, sometimes including wine in the price. Much cheaper than they charge for similar food in the evening, and often very good quality.

Or do what many of the French do and use the Flunch chain for lunch, which can be found in shopping centres such as Cite Europe. Cafeteria type service but the food is fresher (often cooked while you wait) and better than the equivalent in the Uk and at a reasonable price.

We do not like UHT milk, which is common in France. But we can usually find the fresh semi skimmed alternatives in even small supermarkets. Needs looking carefully though because there will only be a few bottles of it.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Ooooops sorry old fartitis
Fresh milk is available in all French supermarkets but not Aldi and Lidl, food wise chicken and pork is a really good buy. Eating out, many restrauants have mene du jour from around 12 euros each including beverage.

The savings you can make using some of the excellent free or very cheap aires will soon offset any higher prices, oh and driving over here is so much easier, in fact France can become habit forming as you may detect from our location.
Get truckfly app on your phone , tells you where all the plait de jour truck stops are also loads more.

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Budgie smugglers only, no idea why ?

:Eeek::Eeek::Eeek: Really? you can't guess why?

A nice drawing may be to explain? Ok going to try and find the right words to make you face some hard reality: You've got to be aware that , NO, not everyone showers everyday. Those shorts can let everything in and out, and so in France we don't want people to wash their private bits in our clean swimming pools. Therefore you have to keep them tight with you in your budgie smugglers. Hygiene I think it's called:whistle2:

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
The smallest tasteful covering is what French stylists call the "boxer" trunk, tight, Daniel Craig-style mini-shorts that look less like ladies' knickers.

Ohoooo I do LOVE boxers . I think that men are at their best in those shorts. But then, I'm French after all, aren't I?:sneaky::love::p:LOL:

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Thanks all for your replies - much appreciated. And yes, my hubby reckons if it can happen in France, it can easily happen here too so he's not too worried.
Thousands of us go every year and most of us return unharmed,,BUSBY:D:D

OP
OP
rosemaryd

rosemaryd

Free Member
Sep 3, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2015
Thanks everyone for your replies, they've been helpful and amusing too! I'm busy making lists now!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back