first time in france advice (1 Viewer)

Sep 11, 2016
nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
we getting the tunnel over Thursday night and are away till the following Saturday. 9 nights. Looking at the weather its a bit hit and miss. I thought of driving straight down to La Rochelle over a couple of days and then spending the rest of our time coming back along the coast.
what do you people think
I am open to any ideas

OP
OP
L
Sep 11, 2016
nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
i don't have the time to go further south this time going to for 3 weeks in september

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Just go, if the weather is bad in La Rochelle, move inland , lots of aires and places to visit, just enjoy.

Reactions: f6c
Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Buy a paper with the tourist weather forecast then plan your destination. The Auchan at Coquelles is where we go to fuel, store and buy the paper.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
You could get to La Rochelle in a couple of days taking it relatively easy and travel back up the coast towards St Nazaire. Or, if you don’t want to go that far, the south Brittany coast is nice to visit with some stunning beaches although I don’t know what the weather will be like. We live in the middle of Brittany and have had temperatures of up to 27 degrees in the last week.

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
or to buy MH's or get gainful employment :LOL:

and Germany instead of France??

Means to an end dear boy, means to an end;) With sufficient ‘perks’ to make it worthwhile :drink::rofl: Looking forward to seeing you both there:party:;)

And yes, I’d take Germany over France every day, nicer, cleaner, friendlier, cheaper, and the only country I’ve ever visited where the bar staff give you a large beer every time without asking what size you want :clap2:

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
If you haven’t already done it download a couple of weather apps plus CamperContact.
Let the weather be your guide and use CamperContact to find where to stop.
Loads of lovely places to find inland as well as on the coast.

Just shout if you want advice on places.

Richard.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Looking at Ventusky.com, I would stay east and not worth long journeys south when there is so much to see.
Try Arras, a lovely town square and if wet, you could visit the Wellington Caves, tunnelled out by New Zealander’s, it provided a hiding place for 20,000 troops before a big push to move the Germans back. Very moving as ultimately no ground made.
Then there is Rheims and the Champagne trail.
There are some aires around Lac du Der if you want cycling and walking.
Ventusky.com allows you to track the weather for about 10 day’s selecting precipitation or temperature etc.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
If you head west then ensure you have a plan for getting round/through Rouen.
I thought we had it sussed after a few atempts but got taken through Rouen to the other side of the rocade. Probably cost me an hour and the only stress on this journey. Going round Paris from now on as same stress only quicker.
Alsace and champagne regions are excellent alternatives to la rochelle etc. A dam site more to see. The sea is still only for the brave or wetsuited up atm near Charente-Maritime so interesting stuff would be my plan with 9 days and you can pop over germany and pick up cheap diesel in luxembourg. Enjoy

Oct 9, 2017
Wisbech
Funster No
MH
2007 Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2005
Why not drive down to the Loire around Saumur and then head west to St. Nazaire and then down southwards down the coast. If the weather is good on the Loire (often warmer there than coast) then you will likely want to stay longer than planned. Lots to do and see along the Loire and not so far.
As others have said, follow the weather. We tend to have an idea of which direction we are going to turn when we get off the ferry, but often change our destination/itinerary when we get over there. Enjoy the near empty roads. Loads of Aires and campsites.

Oct 30, 2010
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
I have an excellent plan for getting safely round Rouen.
We make a long diversion to the west via La Mailleraye-sur-Seine where we stop on the excellent Aire for a day or three.
Absolutely no stress or agro. (y):D:D

Richard.
PS. On our way there in the next hour or so, after breakfast.

Apr 20, 2016
Donny
Funster No
MH
Toyota convertion
Exp
Since 2018
Is it the £3.99 one.
I love to find the sun but my oh does not.
Happy travels

OP
OP
L
Sep 11, 2016
nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
We make a long diversion to the west via La Mailleraye-sur-Seine where we stop on the excellent Aire for a day or three.

Richard.

If we arrived here at 8pm do you think we would get on at this time of year

Oct 30, 2010
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
If we arrived here at 8pm do you think we would get on at this time of year
Sorry, just seen your post. Been too busy sitting in the sun.
There is loads of space here at the moment.
20 pitches free when we arrived at 2pm and about 8 have arrived since.
After they installed the credit card barriers there seem to be fewer vans on the aire. The French do like to be FLT's so having to pay €6 without being able to nip out when the man came round to collect the money doesn't seem to have gone down well. :whistle:

Richard.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
In Montmaralt, free aire, suns out, wine bottle open already - it'll be an early night
(y)

France is dearer than Spain though- by a lot!
Diesel 20 cents a litre more(n) for starters

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13

Richard.

We do the same, also the Pont de Brotonne is FREE !
Easy parking for fuel and food at Intermarche Yvetot on the roundabout shortly before destination (y)

OP
OP
L
Sep 11, 2016
nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Sorry, just seen your post. Been too busy sitting in the sun.
There is loads of space here at the moment.
20 pitches free when we arrived at 2pm and about 8 have arrived since.
After they installed the credit card barriers there seem to be fewer vans on the aire. The French do like to be FLT's so having to pay €6 without being able to nip out when the man came round to collect the money doesn't seem to have gone down well. :whistle:

Richard.

Thanks for replying we have arrived at st valery sur Somme for the night. First night in France in mh. Just settling the nerves lol. What’s the French protocol for roundabout ‘s as if going for the third exit do you start in centre and come out or say in outside lane all the way round

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Thanks for replying we have arrived at st valery sur Somme for the night. First night in France in mh. Just settling the nerves lol. What’s the French protocol for roundabout ‘s as if going for the third exit do you start in centre and come out or say in outside lane all the way round

French rules of the road......

There are no rules......

Expect the unexpected;)

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time

Richard.

Ditto!
Don’t know what your interests are but Concarneau is pleasant with it’s Close Ville, old buildings, restaurants and fort walls to walk along.
We found a 'pub' that served very nice Moules and lovely cold Guinness!

Oct 30, 2010
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
In a large vehicle I always stay on the right all the way round keeping the indicators flashing to show that I’m going all the way round. The French boy racers will almost certainly belt round on your left and cut across your bows as they exit before you. Just watch your mirrors while watching the road ahead.............there are times when being cross eyed might be an advantage. :D
Also, don’t expect French drivers to indicate their intentions on roundabouts, it’s all part of the guessing game.
You will soon get used to French habits and within a couple of days you will feel as if you are an old hand.
Most importantly.................enjoy.

Richard.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Approach roundabout so cautiously that traffic behind you is nervous. Take up all available lanes and no indication until you have passed the penultimate junction. Use bot mirrors constantly.
Tactics differ if there is an impatient audio or BMW driver behind you. Just let them go as they will try anything to cut you up.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back