First photos from Samsung S24 ultra (1 Viewer)

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Last phone I went for an A53. The camera was average, to poor.
Took my new S24 ultra out today and took a few photos to test it.
1000003151.jpg
1000003148.jpg
1000003143.jpg
1000003137.jpg
1000003132.jpg
1000003131.jpg
1000003126.jpg
1000003116.jpg

1000003152.jpg

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Stunning photos, have you done much apart from cropping ?

Edit: just looked, it's a pricey phone but no need for a DSLR with that quality šŸ˜€

pwilmo

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 17, 2009
Kings Lynn, Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Auto Roller 747
Exp
Since 2005
Absolutely Cracking Photos.

Thanks for sharing.

I see from the picture metadata that the phone is managing as low ISO 32, no wonder they are such hi res.

My goodness how phone photography tech has really advanced.

What a good advert for a Galaxy S24 Ultra phone.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
The photos are amazing... A lot of that is down to the huge processing power high end phones now have. An enormous amount of analysis before you even press the shutter to guess the correct settings. Then loads of tricks like comparing and merging multiple shots together to eliminate blur. Plus a touch of AI to literally guess the details... like recognising fur on the squirrel, so it can turn a blur into individual hairs. It's incredible technology.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Nice photos, the Apple 15pro gives same or similar results phones are quite amazing these days and the Tech companies are all competing

JRT

Feb 28, 2023
The former North Riding of Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Nearly did....but...
Exp
40 years caravanning.
Good to see such excellent photos from a Samsung device, I gave up on them after very variable results with an S10 and have been on team Pixel since. My camera rarely goes with me these days.

Those are excellent pictures though.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I now find myself lusting after a Samsung S24 Ultra.
As well as a DJI drone.
Oh these tech companies know how to push buttons.

And I used to think I saved money being on here :rofl:

Nov 8, 2019
Surrey
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2017
Very good photos but I think there will always be a requirement for dslrā€™s. A direct comparison would show the difference, inevitably given the quality of the additional lenses etc

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Very good photos but I think there will always be a requirement for dslrā€™s. A direct comparison would show the difference, inevitably given the quality of the additional lenses etc
I think you're quite right for the enthusiast photographer, but for most who just want decent snaps the convenience of a phone camera is compelling compared to carrying around a dslr kit

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I think we're now at the point where a DSLR is better, but only if you're skilled. And even then, a phone will capture more of the lucky shots. Phones are so good at getting the settings right, and the processing literally makes up for a lot of the lens through shear maths and clever techniques.

JRT

Feb 28, 2023
Funster No
MH
Nearly did....but...
Exp
40 years caravanning.
The problem with DSLR's is that so many times you spot the perfect shot but by the time you decided which lens you need the moment is gone.

I now have a Panasonic Lumix super zoom bought many years to counter this but even that now doesn't get taken out very often.

All that said, you could get a very nice DSLR for the price of a Samsung S24 ultra. (But you won't be able to phone anybody on it šŸ¤£šŸ¤£)

OP
OP
jezport
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
I'm a complete amateur. But bare in mind that will birds only stop for a second, so getting a good photo is more difficult if you have to alter settings or change lenses etc.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Very nice photos jezport, hope you have more fun in finding out more about your phone camera settings for stills & video. Hopefully there will be some Help & Tips with this on You Tube which is where I end up a lot of the time in trying to understand tech.
I have noticed over the last 4/5 the main difference between a new phone & and its predecessor is the camera, this seems to be where the R&D money is being spent, cant imagine where it will take us in another 5/10 years.
I did hear a Tesco Mobile advert on the car radio earlier, advertising The New Samsung 24 with plenty of Data for the average person, on a 2 year contract with guaranteed monthly price that will not rise during its term for something like Ā£56/58 per month, and I thought to myself....Sod being a young teens parent these days, as there will be I Pads to buy them also.:eek:
LES

pwilmo

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 17, 2009
Kings Lynn, Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Auto Roller 747
Exp
Since 2005
Yes I hope to see more of jezport's photos on here, I wouldn't describe Jezport as he said "complete amateur" .. he took the photo not the camera and they are good.

JRT

Feb 28, 2023
Funster No
MH
Nearly did....but...
Exp
40 years caravanning.
Yes I hope to see more of jezport's photos on here, I wouldn't describe Jezport as he said "complete amateur" .. he took the photo not the camera and they are good.

Whilst that is true, what is also true is that all you really have to do is frame the shot.

'Computational photography' does the rest, I personally have no problem with that but it does rile some 'expert photographers' that a lot of the skill of taking a great shot has been rendered surplus to requirements by the very latest smartphones, (like my Google Pixel).

You can of course still use full manual modes on some modern phones (limited on Pixel phones as it happens) but I reckon most people just don't bother.

Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
The older A40 is not to shabby either.

20240331_183534.jpg

pwilmo

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 17, 2009
Kings Lynn, Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Auto Roller 747
Exp
Since 2005
Yes but " expert photographers and lost skill " .. do you need to understand how a combustion engine worrks or how to code an engine management unit to drive a car !?

JRT

Feb 28, 2023
Funster No
MH
Nearly did....but...
Exp
40 years caravanning.
Yes but " expert photographers and lost skill " .. do you need to understand how a combustion engine worrks or how to code an engine management unit to drive a car !?

No I agree, you don't and you can take that even further and remove the driver eventually).

However the point is some photographers derive great pleasure from setting up their camera manually to take a great picture like the ones in the OP, (much like some people enjoy driving their cars rather than let their car do it, when that is even possible).

Most modern camera phones have a great deal of computational power behind the pictures they take, with some taking many versions of a shot and combining it into the 'best shot', whereas most cameras rely on a single shot or multiple shots taken manually (though that too is changing). As I say I don't think think there is anything wrong with it but it does annoy some 'purists'.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
The iPhone takes good quality images, but I prefer photography with my Fujifilm X100F , this a 'fixed lens', mirrorless camera..

taking good photos with the iPhone is relatively easy.. using a modern mirrorless camera is whole different ball game, one you have to master to get the best out of it....

yes, it has auto settings, great when learning, but when you master 'fully manual' You are in control, not the software .. ... it is so rewarding.. images you create not AI

however.. as the saying goes, the best camera in the world is the one in your pocket... many amazing images have been captured simply because someone had a phone handy

JRT

Feb 28, 2023
Funster No
MH
Nearly did....but...
Exp
40 years caravanning.
One of my favourite photographers is Henri Cartier-Bresson. He captured some great candid shots using his Leica (film) cameras.

(I've always lusted after a Leica but the nearest I can get is a camera that claims to have a Leica lens, my Panasonic Lumix FZ-200).

OP
OP
jezport
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Whilst that is true, what is also true is that all you really have to do is frame the shot.

'Computational photography' does the rest, I personally have no problem with that but it does rile some 'expert photographers' that a lot of the skill of taking a great shot has been rendered surplus to requirements by the very latest smartphones, (like my Google Pixel).

You can of course still use full manual modes on some modern phones (limited on Pixel phones as it happens) but I reckon most people just don't bother.
Actually you need to find the subject, get the correct light direction, set the area to focus on, wait for the exact split second the subject is in the correct "pose" and is still enough then set the zoom, and then wait again because it flew off!!!

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Actually you need to find the subject, get the correct light direction, set the area to focus on, wait for the exact split second the subject is in the correct "pose" and is still enough then set the zoom, and then wait again because it flew off!!!
Is "shutter lag" an issue - I've read there's a relatively long time [presumably while it does all the clever electronic stuff] between pressing the button and the picture being taken.

JRT

Feb 28, 2023
Funster No
MH
Nearly did....but...
Exp
40 years caravanning.
Is "shutter lag" an issue - I've read there's a relatively long time [presumably while it does all the clever electronic stuff] between pressing the button and the picture being taken.

I think that depends on the camera phone. I've not really found it to be an issue on any of my Pixel phones (current one is a 7a). In fact I would say it's marginally quicker at setting up the right shot than my Panasonic Lumix FZ200. Especially in lower light.

Other cameras may (will) be quicker though, mine is getting on a bit now.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back