LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
First time trying to fill the gaslow today, I bought gasit adapters and they screw into the filling point fine. When I tried to fill the tank the gas just escaped round the fitting not from the screw thread. Luckily a Belgian lent me his fitting which worked fine, no leaks. Just seeing if anyone had issues with gasit adapters or was I just unlucky.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
First time trying to fill the gaslow today, I bought gasit adapters and they screw into the filling point fine. When I tried to fill the tank the gas just escaped round the fitting not from the screw thread. Luckily a Belgian lent me his fitting which worked fine, no leaks. Just seeing if anyone had issues with gasit adapters or was I just unlucky.
Was his fitting just like yours? Did you compare them (Ooer Mrs) washers etc? I've got a set from gasit and they are all completely different so the right one should have been the obvious one to use?

Oct 20, 2010
Burry Port South Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
I used this type at a Total station in Macon this morning no problems.
Cheers
End
download (2).jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
MichaelT

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2016
Yes in fact I pointed out to him what one to use. The only difference was his had a bayonet fitting that screwed into the fill point then the French dish fitting was screwed onto that. Now wondering if I had tightened it enough but the gas seemed to escape from around where the pump fitment attached to the adapter. Course it was Saturday morning and everyone was getting fuel so caused a bit of a queue as the gpl pump used the same card machine as the normal diesel pump.

OP
OP
MichaelT

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2016
This one

Attachments

• 14995308147752031114200.jpg
    14995308147752031114200.jpg
    195 KB · Views: 29

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Mine has leaked once in probably ten fills but it was my fault for not tightening it up enough.:rolleyes:

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
I had the same problem when I first filled using a French 'cup' adapter. May not have been the best scientific solution but I inserted a thin flat washer (purchased in a 'Brico' in Spain) inside the cup and have never experienced the problem since.

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984

I experience an uncalibrated pump a few weeks ago. It's caused the bottles to overfill so I was forced to let gas out. After talking to the station manager he said that over 40 percent of fuel stations are stopping gas sales. This means they aren't bothering to spent money on annual calibrations.
I've never had any issues with the gas fittings anywhere in Europe, yet.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
I experience an uncalibrated pump a few weeks ago. It's caused the bottles to overfill so I was forced to let gas out. After talking to the station manager he said that over 40 percent of fuel stations are stopping gas sales. This means they aren't bothering to spent money on annual calibrations.
I've never had any issues with the gas fittings anywhere in Europe, yet.
Were you using standard calories bottles? Or refillable that should have an 80% cut off?

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
I have also found French GPL pumps, with badly maintained C cap pump fitting, over a number of years, so it is not a new phenomenon or because they are about to close the pump. There was supposed to be a Euro wide fitting being adopted, so far Spain seems to be the only country to have complied.

Yes it does seem the washer C cap pump washer on the nozzle gets damaged and they just ignore it.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Mine did the same in France but it turned out I had not tightened the adapter enough, it was scary at the time!

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
I had a similar problem last year in Gruissan.
Tried to fill with gas at the fuel station that we have used several times before but the gas just spurted out between the nozzle and dish adaptor. Tried three times and then gave up and filled elsewhere. No problems with that adaptor since so I assumed it was the nozzle at fault.
Fortunately I was wearing the new gloves I had just bought after hearing about folk being burnt by spilled liquid gas.

Richard.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Used ours for the first time this year worked better than the uk bayonet fitting which tends to be hard to get off after filling

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
Were you using standard calories bottles? Or refillable that should have an 80% cut off?
They were GasIt refillable. I wouldn't chance suidide by filling standard bottles. In theory they have an 80% cut off but apparently sometimes this doesn't happen.

OP
OP
MichaelT

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2016
OK quick update. Stopped at the services on the motorway this morning, really tightened the adapter and all worked fine, can only think it was not tight enough first time or dodgy filling point.
Thanks for all your help and advice, hopefully will work again next time.

OP
OP
MichaelT

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2016
OK quick update. Stopped at the services on the motorway this morning, really tightened the adapter and all worked fine, can only think it was not tight enough first time or dodgy filling point.
Thanks for all your help and advice, hopefully will work again next time.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back