Fiat Ducato Dpf Sensor | Page 5 | MotorhomeFun | The Motorhome Support and Social Network

Fiat Ducato Dpf Sensor

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Languedoc, France
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
Hi @Deneb,
Thanks for the above.
As you say finding how to disassemble the connector in such a confined space is practically impossible so it would need to be cut off. So the vehicle is unusable until a replacement is found.

I suspect that it is a broken wire as by clamping it up so the weight of the loom is not hanging on the wires as they enter the plug it has made the connection, but for how long with the movement of the vehicle. Unfortunately this sensor cable combines with the other two CAT sensors into one bundle which then enters an ever increasing bundle towards the ECU and one very large plug as far as I can see.

The wires are all green but do have the faintest trace of a coloured line on them which is a bonus if I do have to cut it off.

I suspect that there is a repair kit as I am sure I am not the only person to experience this. Although the cost of a repair does not seem to be a deciding issue nowadays with labour charges as they are in dealerships. We have heard above that people have been charged £500 upwards for this problem. The sensor was an exorbitant €72 and with a pit or hoist the job would have taken a maximum of ten minutes which would include walking to the spares department so even €150 would be unreasonable.

Once I had bought the MultiEcuScan the diagnosis was just a few minutes and the fix would be a similar time with the correct spares or tools. My problem is an €80 round trip to get spares and always it would require being ordered in and that is if I know the part number. At the Fiat garage in Narbonne even having the part number was no use. There is a breakers i know of 80km round trip the other way in Carcassonne so I will try there on the off-chance they have a Ducato.

What I was really hoping for was that one of the Mechanics (Technicians now) on here, would look at my picture and say "Oh that is an XYZ plug you just push this little button and it opens up to change the wires". I am ever the optomist!

Vary many thanks to you and everybody else who has participated in this saga and given fantastic support.

Oh well better get back out to the van to do a few more mods while I can't use it for touring. But even with very bright sun it is still very cold here 14 deg but a biting North wind.

Steve

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Languedoc, France
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
Might be a Delphi connector of some sort - maybe one of these?
Thanks for that, I seem to be useless at searching, I must ask the wrong questions. Was about to order one then the OH said we need to go shopping and I needed to get some more logs so it was worth the 80km round trip to Carcassonne.
I know of a breakers yard there but have never been in. It was similar to the UK ones with a counter. I took the old sensor and said I needed a plug to fit this and after looking under the counter where he had boxes of different sensors disappeared out to the yard for about fifteen minutes. Eventually he came back with the correct plug in very good condition with about a foot of wires attached obviously just cut off a vehicle. Yippee! And the best bit was "Gratuit" no charge! What a nice man.
Today's job is checking that the continuity is good then cutting the old plug off and soldering the cables together and insulating them while laying on the ground under the Camper. Hopefully that will be "job done" as while in Carcassonne I made an appointment for a re-test on Monday (hope it's not on other €115 :eek: ).
Thanks for all the fantastic help from everybody who contributed. I have learned a great deal about DPF's and also Bought the MultiEcuScan which I think will be of great help in future. It tells me that I need to buy a "yellow" plug though as my Bluetooth one will not allow me to reset the service indicator for some reason.
Next job is to learn about the EGR valve which I know absolutely nothing about except for reading @Techno 's write-up some time ago but he has a different engine. But MultiEcuScan says I have one, so I presume it is true. But the plug I do have has allowed me to re-calibrate for the new pressure sensor.
The most pleasing thing has been to find that the DPF has been regenerating OK and is not full as I feared even though this sensor cable problem has been causing the engine light to come on and go off for about a year now until it finally gave up when In Portugal occasionally putting the camper into semi limp-mode when going up hills, max speed 45kph. It has obviously connected for long enough to trigger a regen.
Great work guys, another success at least I hope so after today.
Steve

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
2 years + Caravanner for 20+ years
So glad its all coming together for you.
Also thanks to all who posted, I have learnt from your experience, sure others have too.

Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
Good to see you got lucky! Can I make one more suggestion, which will delay your repair a little but will hopefully make it more durable and less likely to reoccur.

Fiat's approved method of connecting cables when looms have to be cut, involves the use of heat shrink solder connectors to join the individual wires:

https://www.switchelectronics.co.uk...p-connectors-splices/solder-sleeves?limit=all

The link is just by way of an example. You can buy them on eBay, Amazon and elsewhere quite cheaply.

The cuts in the existing wiring and the corresponding wire lengths on your new plug should be staggered so that you don't end up with a bunch of the solder sleeves all in one place. When reconnected, cover the whole repair in another length of plain heat shrink tubing (which you have to put over the loom but slide out of the way before connecting the new plug, or you will never get it on).

I would then wrap the whole repair in self amalgamating tape for good measure.

You need a heat source for the solder connectors and heat shrink tubing, but it doesn't have to be expensive. My wife has a hobby type heat gun which cost less than £10. Alternatively, you may already have a paint stripper heat gun. Also a good idea to buy a glass fibre heat resistant mat to place behind the loom whilst completing the repair (about £5 or less) to prevent the risk of heat damage to any nearby components.

Hopefully, you will then have a durable repair which is unlikely to cause further problems bearing in mind the constant exposure to the elements beneath the van!

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Languedoc, France
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
Thanks once again Deneb. I had seen those connectors online and thought they would be useful in the toolbox but not enough time to get them now and because it is so tight in there without a pit I think a soldering iron would be safest. I have plenty of shrink sleeve to do the job, self amalgamating tape and a temperature controlled soldering iron and pretty good soldering skills.
I think the Fiat preferred method is because the average minimum wage grease monkey who would be given the job probably has no idea how to solder and those things look pretty foolproof. But thanks for pointing them out I will get some ordered when I come to the UK because I carry a mini blow-lamp/soldering-iron in the van and they would be great for a permanent cable repair on the road rather than Weico connectors.
Steve

Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
No problem Steve, sounds like you're sorted! I think the other benefit of those connect ford is that they also clamp the car either side of the solder, reducing stress on the joint.

jopim

Free Member
Mar 23, 2019
Funster No
MH
van
Exp
since 2000
What should be the choice of multiecuscan that will make the calibration pressure difference between the sensor? i have multiecuscan 3.1

jopim

Free Member
Mar 23, 2019
Funster No
MH
van
Exp
since 2000
Korvattiin uusi anturi rikki. Haluaisin kalibroida anturin. se näyttää nyt 1000mbarilta

jopim

Free Member
Mar 23, 2019
Funster No
MH
van
Exp
since 2000
I replaced the new sensor with a broken one. I'd like to calibrate the sensor. it now looks like 1000mbar

jopim

Free Member
Mar 23, 2019
Funster No
MH
van
Exp
since 2000
i try alfaobd "differential pressure sensor replacement" DPF but not work.this function resets the sensor pressure delta parameters stored in the ecu

Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
You want the DPF pressure sensor recalibration function, same as the one you tried in AlfaOBD. It would be on the same page that you have uploaded an image of in MES.

It's either not listed because the function isn't available in your ECU (which could be why selecting it in AlfaOBD doesn't work) or you need a newer version of MES.

You can try downloading the current version of MES and see if the function is listed when connected to your van. If it isn't, it would confirm that your ECU doesn't support it.

If it is listed, I think you might have to buy a new licence for MES if yours has expired for updates, as I think the software has to be licensed to perform programming functions.

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Languedoc, France
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
Just to finalise the above saga. I soldered the new plug on with no bother except having cut the old cable none of the conductors seemed to be broken but one of the openings in the plug looked a little larger than the others so that may have caused the bad connection. So all fault codes cleared I took it for the retest yesterday which it passed so I now have a two year CT (MOT) as the law in France on heavyweight Camping Cars has now changed from every year to two years like below 3,500 kg. So apart from the €55 retest fee all is well.
So a further THANK YOU to all who contributed and sympathised with my problem. :thanks3:
Steve

:merci:

Jul 9, 2018
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
thats the dpf end the sensor is at the other end of the 2 pipes you refer too. it will likely have 2 flexi pipes going into it with 2 clips on and 2 bolts holding it to the chassis .

if your chassis is a Ducato its right hand side on the chassis above the exhaust in front of the dpf. and look like this...

if its a Merc i dont know where it is but will look similar.

whatever you have you should not need to unscrew the pipes from the dpf unless you got an internal problem as they are just hollow pipes that transfer the air pressuire to the sensor.
fault code P2454 is related to dPF sensor readings so "probably" and most likely means your sensor is at fault. or its a partially blocked dpf.

View attachment 288680

you will not notice any normal regenation as its controlled by the ECU in simple terms it causes the engine to run hotter thus burning off the soot in the dpf.
the sensor controls when to tell the ecu to do this.

you will need to reset the codes after changing the sensor then the engine light should go out and hopefully stay out.
Thanks for that had the same issues with the code took off sensor and there was water in it read somewhere that can cause the issue. Drained it out and blew with air, seems to be working ok now with cleared fault codes.
If it persists or happens again may change it.

West Country Motorhomes
Rhino Installs
Friendly professional service from qualified technicians