Fiat Ducato Cab Door Security - New Product (1 Viewer)

May 12, 2019
Tyneside-Cadiz: All points between!
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Years Tugging - Newbie MHing
One of my main security concerns when travelling has been the ease of pricking the driver's side door lock, which will instantly unlock the vans central locking, just by inserting a screwdriver under the door handle - between the plastic and the door metal. Thus allowing entry at any time, most worrying when possibly sleeping in the van. I've tried the cable between the door handles as a method to secure the doors at night but it's so inconvenient because the cable interferes with the chair backs. Also tried a cable from the door to the seat base but also not the answer, the cable slips around on the door or base.

So I decided, after seeing several videos of the Heosafe Cab Door Security Locks they would be a better solution. Pricy at £150 a pair, but worth it for peace of mind. However, they require cutting of the Remus Blinds to actually attach them, the entire corner of the blinds casing needs to be trimmed to a specific shape, a permanent mod which (from the videos I have seen) does not leave a very attractive finish.

I was going to fit these Heosafe Cab Door Security Locks to my Autotrail tomorrow, but in the meantime (YouTube Addiction) I came across this on a YouTube channel 'Travel Time NI'.

A company in Germany is making a very simple plate that fixes over the driver's door lock (inside the door) and solves the 'pricking of the lock' problem. They also have a great little pair of 'chain' ties that pretty much do what the 'cable between the doors method' does but without the inconvenience. A bracket is fitted to an existing screw on the door and a chain is attached - which when the door is closed can then be hooked onto the seatbelt bracket of the van. Essentially stopping the door from being pulled open.

Here is a link to the plate for the lock and below it on the webpage the ties for the doors.

The Heosafe Locks will be on their way back to Amazon tomorrow! These, together with the (now widely known) motorcycle disc lock on the seat swivel measure will probably be the extent of my security mods for the cab. Unfortunately, the Hab door is not so easily secured as there is little space between the door frame and the cabinetry to fit a Had door lock such as the Fiama. Currently, I'm just using a torch to wedge the door handle to ensure the hab door is not openable from outside. But the hab door is still not secure when we leave the van.

Any ideas on that would be appreciated.

OP
OP
I
May 12, 2019
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
I fitted Proplates to the outside of locks a couple of weeks ago. Some security products are not a visible deterrent, so damaged can be done before access is restricted.
I looked at those first but the price and fitting put me off.

I think a sticker comes with the kit which I can put just under the lock that 'MIGHT' persuade the nefarious to just 'move on'?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
I fitted two of these........ £22 for four.

1593077375627.png

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
One of my main security concerns when travelling has been the ease of pricking the driver's side door lock, which will instantly unlock the vans central locking, just by inserting a screwdriver under the door handle - between the plastic and the door metal. Thus allowing entry at any time, most worrying when possibly sleeping in the van. I've tried the cable between the door handles as a method to secure the doors at night but it's so inconvenient because the cable interferes with the chair backs. Also tried a cable from the door to the seat base but also not the answer, the cable slips around on the door or base.

So I decided, after seeing several videos of the Heosafe Cab Door Security Locks they would be a better solution. Pricy at £150 a pair, but worth it for peace of mind. However, they require cutting of the Remus Blinds to actually attach them, the entire corner of the blinds casing needs to be trimmed to a specific shape, a permanent mod which (from the videos I have seen) does not leave a very attractive finish.

I was going to fit these Heosafe Cab Door Security Locks to my Autotrail tomorrow, but in the meantime (YouTube Addiction) I came across this on a YouTube channel 'Travel Time NI'.

A company in Germany is making a very simple plate that fixes over the driver's door lock (inside the door) and solves the 'pricking of the lock' problem. They also have a great little pair of 'chain' ties that pretty much do what the 'cable between the doors method' does but without the inconvenience. A bracket is fitted to an existing screw on the door and a chain is attached - which when the door is closed can then be hooked onto the seatbelt bracket of the van. Essentially stopping the door from being pulled open.

Here is a link to the plate for the lock and below it on the webpage the ties for the doors.

The Heosafe Locks will be on their way back to Amazon tomorrow! These, together with the (now widely known) motorcycle disc lock on the seat swivel measure will probably be the extent of my security mods for the cab. Unfortunately, the Hab door is not so easily secured as there is little space between the door frame and the cabinetry to fit a Had door lock such as the Fiama. Currently, I'm just using a torch to wedge the door handle to ensure the hab door is not openable from outside. But the hab door is still not secure when we leave the van.

Interesting name ;), although could be most appropriate.

OP
OP
I
May 12, 2019
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
I tried that Milenco but the cabinetry inside the van was too tight for the inside lock and handle, but I have to say the idea of locking from the inside and outside is a good one. Also, I have seen some discussion about these locks (much like the Fiamma) leaving a wide gap between the door and the lock allowing an easy lever to be inserted to pull the lock (and presumably the wall of the van) away and open the door. Fiamma has now introduced spacers to solve this with their lock but not sure if the Milenco has a similar issue.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970

The good thing about heosafe is that they would have to climb in through a broken window to enter the van and also exit the same way which to me is a deterrent. BUSBY.

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
Another vote for heosafe on the cab doors. Fairly simple fix - but We don't have remis blinds!
About £30 cheaper from Amazon.de than from Amazon.co.uk!

Also copied the idea from .....

<Broken link removed>

for the habitation door. Cut from 3mm sheet stainless offcut. On the Hartal hab door on our Burstner needed an Elefant 2.

1024x1024.jpeg

Barry

OP
OP
I
May 12, 2019
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
The elefant is a great idea for security when in the van, beats wedging a torch into the door handle - though same result LOL. Just couldn't find one for the Autotrail.

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
We have had a couple of Womo Tuning (now renamed to Camper Protect) products (for sliding door & rear doors) for over a year now & they do work well - see https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/foru...ding-accessories-discount-codes.184590/page-7 from post #192 onwards. There are some photos of the cab door lock version on post #199 for anyone considering those.
A new product is their OBD lock which is one that we are considering adding <Broken link removed>

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back