Fiat Ducato 2.8jtd (2003) intermittent key recognition and starting. (1 Viewer)

Oct 30, 2023
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato 14 2.8 J
Hi all first post!

Persistent problem with intermittent starting after the first successful start of the day. All to often ill stop for fuel turn ignition back on and the orange key symbol of doom won't disappear. Sometimes multiple turns will do it and suddenly it gets the signal through to ECU and away we go.
Alotbof times I've had to disconnect battery for 10 mins and it will clear ut and it starts, but not always.

I've broke smdown to many times to mention.

I've had the immobiliser unit changed by an uti electrician and he swapped the chip from the old one so the keys will work and after that problem still persists. I've used contact cleaner on the antenna connector to the immobiliser and I've used contact cleaner on the start to ECU and earned the eath to chassis.

I've changed the fuel fter as occasionally it will cut out of power as if no fuel, but that still happens.

Another auto electrician garage suggested I get a new ECU immobiliser and keys and change it a out to resolve issue, but I can't source them.

I am really fed up with it and want the immobiliser bypassed or removed. I saw a post on here that ericvanbis I think new a way and I emailed him with copy of my V5 but no reply as yet.

If any one here can help me I'd be so grateful 🙏

Thanks in advance

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
w2f
There was a recent thread on here and the cause of difficult starting was another set of car keys interfering with the signals.
Do you have another set in close proximity ?

You could also check key fob battery and cab battery earth strap often gets mentioned as a cause of random faults. Put a jump lead from negative terminal to chassis

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Fiatducatonewbee
Oct 30, 2023
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato 14 2.8 J
w2f
There was a recent thread on here and the cause of difficult starting was another set of car keys interfering with the signals.
Do you have another set in close proximity ?
Hi no other keys nearer present. I've also taped a spare key to the antenna hoop which doesn't make a difference still intermittent

Upvote 0
Jan 10, 2015
East sussex
Funster No
MH
2002 Eura mobile
Exp
Since 2014
At the very least I’d unplug The ignition barrel & clean contacts. If that don’t work change the barrel. I had similar on my last van & after changing (coastal motor homes) it was fine.

Upvote 0
Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
Many auto electricians try and fix replace the ECU or the immobiliser unit but often best method is to cut the old immobiliser out altogether.

If you have the Orange "Key Code" light illuminated then don't waste your time trying to start - it won't until the light goes out.

There is a small circuit board bolted to the fuel pump at the front of the engine and this can be cut out by hand (takes time and sharp chisels) and a new 12V live feed wire simply run from battery to pump. This all assumes it is the same as my old 2.5TD Ducato engine.

1698744481926.png

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Fiatducatonewbee
Oct 30, 2023
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato 14 2.8 J
Have you tried replacing the engine to body earth cable which is the one that can often cause problems even if it looks ok .
www.vantuner.co.uk have a immobiliser removal service for Iveco Daily vans and may be worth talking to them to see if they can help.
Thanks alot, I've cleaned the earth on the right side front and tightened, but no difference.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Fiatducatonewbee
Oct 30, 2023
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato 14 2.8 J
Many auto electricians try and fix replace the ECU or the immobiliser unit but often best method is to cut the old immobiliser out altogether.

If you have the Orange "Key Code" light illuminated then don't waste your time trying to start - it won't until the light goes out.

There is a small circuit board bolted to the fuel pump at the front of the engine and this can be cut out by hand (takes time and sharp chisels) and a new 12V live feed wire simply run from battery to pump. This all assumes it is the same as my old 2.5TD Ducato engine.

View attachment 829470
Hi thanks yeah I've had the intermittent orange key symbol for months which will crank but won't start. Would you be able to put a pic up of where this should be located please ?

And once found your saying simply cutting it out and putting a 12v live from the battery ro the fuel pump will resolve the issue. Is that then essentially bypassing the immobiliser? Where exactly does the live go to on tbe fuel pump?

Sorry for all the questions but I'm no mechanic.

Thanks.

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Oct 10, 2018
Bracklesham Bay, West Sussex
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks alot, I've cleaned the earth on the right side front and tightened, but no difference.
If you mean the engine to body/chassis earth cable (not the battery one ) they can look ok but still cause problems (resistance in the cable to terminal connection ) , if you add another earth cable from the engine to the body it would eliminate it as a possible cause of the problem and would not cost much for an cable (Halfords or local auto factors )

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back