Fiat clutch problem, (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jul 18, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
Since 2017
Hi, I’m looking for advise on Fiat ducato 2014, have just had invoice in for £7.5k ! Fort replacement clutch and flywheel, they now inform me(fiatmaindealer) that still not working, so want to charge me a another £3k to for actuator, which I advised them from contacts that this be the cause of the wagon ‘Juddering’ when in reverse and low gears, could some kind knowledgeable person out there help me please thanks in advance.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I can't help but you have my sympathy, that bill sounds outrageous, and still not fixed ???
Disgraceful treatment if it's a Fiat professional workshop. Can you detail a bit more how they arrived at this amount and the story behind it ?
I thought juddergate was resolved before 2014 ? Do you a x250 or the later model x290 ?
PS I've just had a new clutch on my x244.

OP
OP
F
Jul 18, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
Since 2017
Thanks for responding, they charaged me 39 hours labour at £120 ph, plus recon clutch and flywheel , they put it back together, then advised of another 16.5 hour labour to fit new actuator that I told them that this might be the cause, so they now have to take everything back out to put in actuator ! Still seeking advise and help thanks.

Apr 17, 2016
Peterborough, Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic E Line
Exp
Since March 2004
Contact another Fiat main dealer but NOT a commercial Fiat dealer also selling motorcars. Their labour rates are always high. Try someone like Motus or Guest Truck & Van depending on where you live. Ask how many hours do Fiat require for that work. Query why a recon clutch? Does not make any sense. If you have paid the invoice was it via credit card? You may need to talk to them.
To me it sounds like they have little knowledge with excessive labour rate and good imagination for length of time worked on your vehicle. Good luck.

Dec 5, 2022
Lichfield, UK
Funster No
MH
autotrail navajo
Exp
4 yrs
Shocking as it is when my clutch went I found the fiat agents(guest trucks) only fit recon clutches as recommended by fiat.
I used too work on the spanners and any garage worth there salt would have changed the slave cylinder at the same time.
Mine cost £1200 18months ago and done in a day by an independent garage...I would definetly be going back and having a word.

OP
OP
F
Jul 18, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
Since 2017
Contact another Fiat main dealer but NOT a commercial Fiat dealer also selling motorcars. Their labour rates are always high. Try someone like Motus or Guest Truck & Van depending on where you live. Ask how many hours do Fiat require for that work. Query why a recon clutch? Does not make any sense. If you have paid the invoice was it via credit card? You may need to talk to them.
To me it sounds like they have little knowledge with excessive labour rate and good imagination for length of time worked on your vehicle. Good luck.
Thanks well on case now, all comments have been greatly appreciated

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
What would be the arguement in favour of using a recon clutch ?
Seems extrodinary a main dealer would do that

Jul 31, 2022
Norfolk Broads
Funster No
MH
Adria
Exp
Another thing I don't understand is they charged you 39 hrs the first time & now want 16 hrs to do the same again, more or less. How do they justify this? is it because they know how to do it now!!!???

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
Recon clutch may just be a light reface of DMF/Flywheel which given the mileage is still probably OTT

OP
OP
F
Jul 18, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
Since 2017
FYI everyone, Fiat customer services now based in Albania! And best of luck to you trying to get any UK based details from them ! 😡. My saga with my mo/ho re- clutch continues, however the comments received so far have been very encouraging and gratefully received, and certainly will be useful when I next see the garage. I will keep you posted.

Dec 5, 2022
Lichfield, UK
Funster No
MH
autotrail navajo
Exp
4 yrs
Recon clutch may just be a light reface of DMF/Flywheel which given the mileage is still probably OTT
A dual mass fly wheel should never be refaced, a recon clutch consists only of the drive plate and clutch cover assembly.

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
A dual mass fly wheel should never be refaced, a recon clutch consists only of the drive plate and clutch cover assembly.
We're talking main stealer here so if skimming a DMF with an in spec spring saves them a few Bob they will do it.

May 29, 2021
Kotka, Finland
Funster No
MH
Hymer Van
n ‘Juddering’ when in reverse and low gears, could some kind knowledgeable person out there help me please thanks in advance.
I had the same problem in my 2011. Had the clutch replaced (no DMF so the flywheel wasn't changed) and also the engine mounts (bushes?). Didn't really help. The clutch required very gentle and precise operating to not make the whole car shake when starting from standstill. If I had some special situation (tight parking, deep snow, mud) which required fiddling with the clutch, it was terrible for many days after that. On the other hand, it might have worked for a month just fine.

That was very stressing for the years we had it so the next will be the 9 speed auto if it ever arrives.

And that 39 hours is terrible. My clutch was done at my friends carage where he was working alone, and even he got it done in one day with all the customer service and other stuff that stopped the work many times during the day.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back