Fiat 130 multijet ( 2011 ) Challenger 36 Spares to carry. (1 Viewer)

Nookie Bear

Free Member
Mar 18, 2018
France
Funster No
MH
Challenger 36
Exp
Since 2005
Bonjour all
A simple question from me, a newbie to Motohoming ; having read lots on here about motorhomes ; I am trying to get together a list of spares etc to carry with me at all times incase of breakdown etc . So whats your opinion , Oh experienced ones ? Read the scare stories about the fuel filter etc . I have also invested in a spare wheel , although our M H came with a jack and wheelbrace and the famous tyre kit !!!!
So dear friends whats your thoughts .
Sure this has been asked before but I cant find anything here about the subject.
kind regards to all
Mike ( Nookie Bear )

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Only spare I take is another pack of beer and a extra bottle of Vino blanco for the wife.

Europe is well stocked for everything you may need and if you have to wait a day or two for a part is that really a problem. :)

Upvote 0
Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Prevention is better than cure, have it serviced, check brakes, check tyres, is cam-belt due for change? take credit card.
Sorted

Upvote 0
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
As above, good breakdown cover..... believe it or not vans work best when being used and driven regularly and you can’t take another van with you if you smash it up.....
I’ve dumped all the spares I did have as I’ve carried 20-30 kilo around for nothing for the last few years..

Having a spare wheel though is always a good idea..

Upvote 0

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
Bulbs & Wiper blades - although I'm sure I could get them wherever I was, it just avoids the hassle of getting them, especially if I have a ferry to catch.

Plus some in some countries bulbs are compulsory.....

Upvote 0
OP
OP
N

Nookie Bear

Free Member
Mar 18, 2018
France
Funster No
MH
Challenger 36
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks all for your advice . Yes I did get a fuel filter and housing and guess what its been needed . Just had a full service in a proper garage . Did 100 kms fuel filter leaking !!! Lucky fitted new one now OK . Having read up on the subject just ordered the proper tool to change the filter and torque it up correct . best service myself next time !!!! So thanks for the recomendation Gus
Regards to all Mike

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Spare wheel.
Basic tool kit to deal with problems on the habition side, Inc., gaffa tape & cable ties.
For chassis & engine rely on breakdown cover as there are very few things you can sort on a modern vehicle at the side of the road.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
One spare is not enough what happens if you get a second puncture down the road before you have time to get the first one fixed. You will also need a complete set of Snapon Tools and the tool chest that goes with it. You should also carry the following spares. Cambelt, Complete Clutch, Bulbs, Spare Gearbox, Injectors, Filters, Brake Pads, Headlamp Clusters, Fuses, Gaffer Tape and spare Windscreen and glue to fit it.

There are bound to be lots of other things I have missed but you are certainly going to need a trailer of some sort.

As it's a Fiat and loads of garages about you could just get some Breakdown Insurance and enjoy life. Put some chairs in and top the fridge up with some cold cokes and let someone else sort out the problems if and when they happen :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Deleted User
there are very few things you can sort on a modern vehicle at the side of the road.

The fuel filter on a Ducato being one of the things that you can fix, well worth carrying a spare.......even I managed it:)

Upvote 0
Apr 12, 2013
Shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
Carthago 144
Exp
ok carrying a spare wheel but check if your wheelbrace will remove wheelnuts ,
I did not have a chance of removing mine.
Invested in 30 inch breaker bar, now sorted.

Upvote 0

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
ok carrying a spare wheel but check if your wheelbrace will remove wheelnuts ,
I did not have a chance of removing mine.
Invested in 30 inch breaker bar, now sorted.
Breakdown Technician will be able to remove mine

Upvote 0

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
Spare wheel.
Basic tool kit to deal with problems on the habition side, Inc., gaffa tape & cable ties.
For chassis & engine rely on breakdown cover as there are very few things you can sort on a modern vehicle at the side of the road.
And WD40

If it's supposed be separate- use wd
If it's supposed be stuck together- use gaffa tape :D

Upvote 0
Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
Mention has been made of fuel filter and housing. Is there a difference and how do you tell?

Having just replaced mine - my cannister was metal and had a white cap at the bottom that can drain water away. Then they switched to a cannister (plastic?) with internal replacable element - think that caused problems as it can bend and go oval as it is thin. Modern units have returned to metal cannister again.

Metal..... https://images.app.goo.gl/ynQkebdmbX7FL7GG6

Element version....... https://images.app.goo.gl/s3jWoGqBsfyijqxn6

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
One spare is not enough what happens if you get a second puncture down the road before you have time to get the first one fixed. You will also need a complete set of Snapon Tools and the tool chest that goes with it. You should also carry the following spares. Cambelt, Complete Clutch, Bulbs, Spare Gearbox, Injectors, Filters, Brake Pads, Headlamp Clusters, Fuses, Gaffer Tape and spare Windscreen and glue to fit it.

There are bound to be lots of other things I have missed but you are certainly going to need a trailer of some sort.

As it's a Fiat and loads of garages about you could just get some Breakdown Insurance and enjoy life. Put some chairs in and top the fridge up with some cold cokes and let someone else sort out the problems if and when they happen :)

That reminded me of the spare gearbox I used to carry in the back of the old Morris van. :cool:

Upvote 0

Steve N Tracy

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 Years
Spare bulbs, gaffer tape, superglue and double sided tape, fitting a fuel filter is best left to the experts, so good breakdown insurance.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back