Ferry Cancelled > Change of plan > Any advice for Switzerland? (1 Viewer)

May 22, 2015
Wem Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line 51QB
Exp
Been getting away since 2008
Lauterbrunnen is a good base and Camping Jungfrau is excellent.
It’s a lovely walk down the valley to Stechelberg and then the cable car up to Murren or take the cog train up to Wengen which is on the opposite side of the valley, then as mentioned, the cable car up to Mannlichen which the views are amazing.
The train to Interlaken is very frequent, this will also go up to Grindelwald if you change at Zweilütschinen.

Loads to do in the area.

BriannYe

LIFE MEMBER
May 4, 2017
Southampton, UK
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
We are meandering our way down through France and hope to be in Interlaken on the 2nd April. Weather forecast is mainly rain/sleet right up until 8th (as far as the 10 day forecast goes.
We have purchased the e vignette for Switzerland through the govt site.
ACSI have 2 camp sites in Interlaken on accepting discount rates from 1st April and the other from 8th April. Both sites give a guest card for free bus travel in Interlaken and you can buy the Junfrau travel pass for 3 or more days from the 2 stations in Interlaken. Worth searching online the pass as it gives a reduced price for the final trip up to the top of the Jungfraujoch.

Screenshot_20240328_042244_CampingCard ACSI.jpg

Screenshot_20240328_042252_CampingCard ACSI.jpg

Screenshot_20240328_042356_CampingCard ACSI.jpg

Screenshot_20240328_042404_CampingCard ACSI.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
Rather than hit Disney on the way back try Parc Astrix the kids (and you) will love it Alton Towers/Chessington World of Adventure with attitude!

OP
OP
Next Stop
Oct 29, 2019
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
VW LWB Crafter
Exp
Since 2009
We are meandering our way down through France and hope to be in Interlaken on the 2nd April. Weather forecast is mainly rain/sleet right up until 8th (as far as the 10 day forecast goes.
We have purchased the e vignette for Switzerland through the govt site.
ACSI have 2 camp sites in Interlaken on accepting discount rates from 1st April and the other from 8th April. Both sites give a guest card for free bus travel in Interlaken and you can buy the Junfrau travel pass for 3 or more days from the 2 stations in Interlaken. Worth searching online the pass as it gives a reduced price for the final trip up to the top of the Jungfraujoch.

View attachment 880263

View attachment 880264

View attachment 880265

View attachment 880266
Thanks for the info, we may see you around, it's looking like Interlaken is a popular hub so, I think after Italy we might head there.

OP
OP
Next Stop
Oct 29, 2019
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
VW LWB Crafter
Exp
Since 2009
Plan B you take the train from Iselle to Brig if your van is max 3.1m
We are now looking at Interlaken as a base for a few days so, coming from Italy I presume if we head for the Simplonpass and the weathers not looking too good then we just take the Car Train? I presume this take you through the mountain and under the worst, then once on the other side the roads down to Interlaken shouldn't be too bad?
As said before we are not prepped for this so don't have winter tyres and I would be extremely dubious driving on snow, it's a fast changing plan:oops:
Currently taking out the shorts and t-shirts and trying to find our hats and gloves:LOL:

Just found this website which look informative:
https://alpen-paesse.ch/en/alpenpaesse/simplonpass/

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Hi All,
We had planned a trip to Spain and Portugal leaving today but due to a storm coming in the ferry was cancelled, so rather than mope about it we've decided to change plans.
Now, We've always fancied going to Switzerland so we drew up a rough plan to see if it was doable. The plan (very rough plan as we've had no time to research) is to hot foot it from Roscoff to Lyon then cross over into Italy, spend a few days there then go through the Gotthard Road Tunnel into Switzerland, spend 4-5 days there and then meander back to Roscoff.

A few questions spring to mind:

Does this sound doable? (bear in mind, we are not yet retired, only have 2 weeks and fully understand that it will be a whistle stop tour.)
What's the weather like this time of year?
We'd love to go on a mountain lift or train to see snow, but don't fancy driving in it.
Is it safe to drive there this time of year? (please excuse my ignorance on the weather/road conditions)

Any tips or suggestions of things to see would be much appreciated.

Cheers in advance.

Martin
Drive south from Roscoff to the Mediterranean either France or Spain. It's going to be damp this weekend but then sunny next week. Switzerland is a glorious place but I wouldn't go in April.

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
We are now looking at Interlaken as a base for a few days so, coming from Italy I presume if we head for the Simplonpass and the weathers not looking too good then we just take the Car Train? I presume this take you through the mountain and under the worst, then once on the other side the roads down to Interlaken shouldn't be too bad?
As said before we are not prepped for this so don't have winter tyres and I would be extremely dubious driving on snow, it's a fast changing plan:oops:
Currently taking out the shorts and t-shirts and trying to find our hats and gloves:LOL:

Just found this website which look informative:
https://alpen-paesse.ch/en/alpenpaesse/simplonpass/

Fortunately here we learnt that it‘s better to remove the snow from the road, i know in the UK you like to leave it there for as long as possible😂 in a worse case scenario that it snows in the evening then yes there can be snow on the road early AM but all communes and cantons are obliged to remove it early doors. In a camper just sit back, opo the kettle on and wait for it to be cleared in case you meet any snow but on any main roads they‘ll be cleaner than in the UK at present. Just stick to those larger roads and if you go Simplon then you can always take the train if you‘re concerned (without winter tyres i would take the train).

OP
OP
Next Stop
Oct 29, 2019
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
VW LWB Crafter
Exp
Since 2009
Fortunately here we learnt that it‘s better to remove the snow from the road, i know in the UK you like to leave it there for as long as possible😂 in a worse case scenario that it snows in the evening then yes there can be snow on the road early AM but all communes and cantons are obliged to remove it early doors. In a camper just sit back, opo the kettle on and wait for it to be cleared in case you meet any snow but on any main roads they‘ll be cleaner than in the UK at present. Just stick to those larger roads and if you go Simplon then you can always take the train if you‘re concerned (without winter tyres i would take the train).
So, as we don't have the winter tyres I think we'll take the car train from Iselle to Brig, from there would this route be OK or should we take the other car train?

I don't mind about the extra time it takes as it would be nice to soak up some scenery!

Sorry for all the questions but, I really appreciate your local knowledge!

I'll leave you to your day now😂

Screenshot_2024-03-28-09-18-02-862_com.google.android.apps.maps.jpg

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
So, as we don't have the winter tyres I think we'll take the car train from Iselle to Brig, from there would this route be OK or should we take the other car train?

I don't mind about the extra time it takes as it would be nice to soak up some scenery!

Sorry for all the questions but, I really appreciate your local knowledge!

I'll leave you to your day now😂

View attachment 880331

Sorry missed this:

Yes the route down from Brig (where you‘ll come off the train) down to Aigle is all motorway/dual carriageway (actually a bit is still single carriage) but it‘s all 100% OK. The road once you then come off at Aigle and head up to Thun is also OK although that is a regular country road, easily OK for a HGV/coach and is always clear, my office mate lives in Leysin and travels down it every day. Speaking of Leysin there‘s a very nice toboggan park there for the youngsters, very cool place that even has an airbag ride if you like a thrill. It‘s actually a great route from Aigle to Thun and worth stopping at Saanen or better still Gstaad to see how the other half live😉.

It‘s warmed up here in the last day or so although i know there‘s been snowfall at 1500m.

Enjoy and PM me if you get stuck and need a hand

OP
OP
Next Stop
Oct 29, 2019
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
VW LWB Crafter
Exp
Since 2009
Sorry missed this:

Yes the route down from Brig (where you‘ll come off the train) down to Aigle is all motorway/dual carriageway (actually a bit is still single carriage) but it‘s all 100% OK. The road once you then come off at Aigle and head up to Thun is also OK although that is a regular country road, easily OK for a HGV/coach and is always clear, my office mate lives in Leysin and travels down it every day. Speaking of Leysin there‘s a very nice toboggan park there for the youngsters, very cool place that even has an airbag ride if you like a thrill. It‘s actually a great route from Aigle to Thun and worth stopping at Saanen or better still Gstaad to see how the other half live😉.

It‘s warmed up here in the last day or so although i know there‘s been snowfall at 1500m.

Enjoy and PM me if you get stuck and need a hand
Thanks very much for this, quite reassuring info!
We are currently in the middle of France heading towards Lyon tomorrow and then trying to find the most economical way through into Italy, the French seem to like their toll tunnel charges! Although I bet it cost a few euros to carve a hole through those mountains!

OP
OP
Next Stop
Oct 29, 2019
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
VW LWB Crafter
Exp
Since 2009
Two days of solid travelling and we are now at the foot of the French alps!
Found a nice free aire next to a church in a car park behind a pizza place, lovely view of the alps and we are the only ones here!
Experienced our first toll roads today, and having to dig deep into my Cornish pockets tomorrow as we have to pay for the tunnel into Italy, better be worth it 😂
IMG_20240331_190831.jpg

OP
OP
Next Stop
Oct 29, 2019
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
VW LWB Crafter
Exp
Since 2009
Well, we've made it over the alps and currently in a nice little campsite near Turin.
Not the cheapest of places, I think we paid around 45euros a night but for that we have spotless sanitary facilities a good sized plot with hedges either side and a view of the snow covered French Alps.

IMG-20240401-WA0017.jpg

They also have a shuttle bus service that connects you to the local village where you can pick up the number 59 bus right into Turin.

Fab city, spent most of the day just walking around soaking up the architecture.

Not sure where we are off to tomorrow, will be planning that one later, any suggestions welcome👍

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Not sure where we are off to tomorrow, will be planning that one later, any suggestions welcome👍
If you are heading down you can’t miss Venice😁
We stayed over the other side of the water on a aire type place as easy to get no frills but as much room as you need.
2 minute walk to the water taxi that takes you into the back of Venice so you get to see all the little shops/cafes normally missed if you come straight into the main square.
Not sure if you have a dog with you but good walks in a massive park next to the site.

OP
OP
Next Stop
Oct 29, 2019
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
VW LWB Crafter
Exp
Since 2009
Spent the day hunting for the "right" spot to park up next, nothing seemed right but finally stumbled upon a nice Aire in Cannobio, right next to the river.
25euros so not cheap for an Aire but the location is stunning and the price includes electricity, showers, toilets and the usual waste and water.
All within walking distance to the town which we are going to explore in the morning.

IMG_20240403_191355.jpg

https://www.searchforsites.co.uk/marker.php?id=12704

OP
OP
Next Stop
Oct 29, 2019
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
VW LWB Crafter
Exp
Since 2009
Lauterbrunnen is a good base and Camping Jungfrau is excellent.
It’s a lovely walk down the valley to Stechelberg and then the cable car up to Murren or take the cog train up to Wengen which is on the opposite side of the valley, then as mentioned, the cable car up to Mannlichen which the views are amazing.
The train to Interlaken is very frequent, this will also go up to Grindelwald if you change at Zweilütschinen.

Loads to do in the area.
Hi Rob,
Lauterbrunnen looks like a good base, can you remember how much the Cog Railway costs to get up to Wengen? I've looked online but I can't find much info on it!
Hoping to cross over to Switzerland in a few days 🤞

BriannYe

LIFE MEMBER
May 4, 2017
Southampton, UK
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
We arrived at Interlaken last night at Camping Jungfrau5 . Staying for 5 nights which cost us £134 with ACSI card. As against sf350 without card. One thing to beware off. If you have a cheap sim card they do not cover Switzerland.

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Cannobio is a nice little town but it’s best bit is actually looking back at it from the lake or from the other side due to its multicoloured houses, very Tobermory 😘

We’re on the way back up so are now just down the road from you in Baveno😉

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
And PS: from where you are you two ways to get to Iselle. The GPS will likely suggest the Centovalli route ie west out of Locarno. Super nice route but very narrow and often a wing mirror loosing road, think small Italian cars squeezing through gaps that don’t really exist. Otherwise you go back down to Verbania and pick up the main road, bit longer.

Jan 27, 2019
Teesside
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
Since 2016
Thanks for the info, we may see you around, it's looking like Interlaken is a popular hub so, I think after Italy we might head there.
I can vouch for Interlaken, Camping Alpenblick was fine last year and will be there again this year in Sept. Make sure you ask for the free bus pass at the check in as its usefull, bus stop is at the site gates. The only thing to watch out for is very long connections on some pitches to the EHU post if you want electric.

OP
OP
Next Stop
Oct 29, 2019
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
VW LWB Crafter
Exp
Since 2009
With the weather looking good we decided to go over the Simplon pass which was, hands down, the most epic drive we've ever done. At 2000 meters above sea level there was plenty of snow! The roads however were perfectly clear.
IMG_20240405_163315-PANO.jpg
IMG_20240405_171558.jpg
IMG_20240405_173240.jpg

Currently parked up at an Aire just above Sion looking over the alps pondering our next move, a nice remote spot, highly recommended if just only for the views!
IMG_20240405_193500~2.jpg

https://www.searchforsites.co.uk/marker.php?id=31897

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
I always stay at camping Breithorn, cheaper than Jungfrau (yes I’ve stayed there a couple of times) and the owners super friendly, I always bag a pitch by the river. Transport is very easy round those parts and loads of hiking trails too. Two main attractions are the mountains, Jungfrau and schilthorn, both breathtakingly beautiful👌🏼

Reactions: DBK

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
With the weather looking good we decided to go over the Simplon pass which was, hands down, the most epic drive we've ever done. At 2000 meters above sea level there was plenty of snow! The roads however were perfectly clear.
View attachment 882976View attachment 882977View attachment 882978

Currently parked up at an Aire just above Sion looking over the alps pondering our next move, a nice remote spot, highly recommended if just only for the views!
View attachment 882982

https://www.searchforsites.co.uk/marker.php?id=31897

Excellent 👍🏻 we passed through yesterday and stopped for lunch on the way.

May 19, 2014
Keynsham, Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote
Exp
Since 2005
I always stay at camping Breithorn, cheaper than Jungfrau (yes I’ve stayed there a couple of times) and the owners super friendly, I always bag a pitch by the river. Transport is very easy round those parts and loads of hiking trails too. Two main attractions are the mountains, Jungfrau and schilthorn, both breathtakingly beautiful👌🏼
The advantage of Camping Jungfrau, when you have a Jungfrau Pass, is that it's a 15 min walk to the station; you just don't think about it. On another trip we stayed further south along the Lauterbrunnen valley, at Camping Rutti, like Breithorn, cheaper and prettier, but the bus along the valley is not included in the Jungfrau Pass and at twice a day more than made up the difference in the cost to Camping Jungfrau. Though Breithorn is closer to Lauterbrunnen station than Rutti, it's still a ~50min walk each way, which on top of the day's hiking, means a bus.

Dave

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back