Ferries to Spain... Discounts? (1 Viewer)

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Having never gone to Spain I've no idea of the best ferries to use for a 8.5m van
I've also seen a few posts about discounts etc.... How do you get these?

Just having a quick Google search the best prices I'm quoted for January are around £509 single trip with Brittany ferries

Anyone know of better ones?

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Someone will be along to give you a discount code which will save you 10% off the base fare but not accommodation. You can also save money by going on Brittany Ferries economy boat which has fewer facilities than the Pont Aven or Cap Finistre, this will save you about £100. The downside is that a lot of the parking area is on an outside deck and you have to do a 2 hour stint on the oars.
You have no choice but to use Brittany ferries if you wish to go directly to Spain.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
As already mentioned, Brittany Ferries is the only operator that goes to Spain from the UK.

Arrival at Bilbao or Santander. Sail from Portsmouth or Plymouth.

Not cheap, but good service. For a January crossing (or any other time of year, for that matter), I'd choose one of the so-called 'cruise ferries', as opposed to the 'economy'. Bigger ships cope better across Bay of Biscay in bad weather. Pont Aven is the flagship and the largest.

Reactions: Pia
May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
If you use the economy ferry be prepared for your van to be on the open deck. We unknowingly sailed on the economy and on the open deck which cost us dearly. We had damage to the van side and windows along with a fridge full of water and the Sat dish damaged. Brittany wouldn't contribute in anyway but stated the 25 foot waves were an act of god. Best to avoid economy as it's actually more expensive.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
If you use the economy ferry be prepared for your van to be on the open deck. We unknowingly sailed on the economy and on the open deck which cost us dearly. We had damage to the van side and windows along with a fridge full of water and the Sat dish damaged. Brittany wouldn't contribute in anyway but stated the 25 foot waves were an act of god. Best to avoid economy as it's actually more expensive.
I've already decided against the economie there's only £60 of a difference and I'd rather use the bigger boat

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
We only ever use the Pont Aven now.

I can't stand the other ship whose name escapes me.

Pia

Free Member
Jan 16, 2017
staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Supreme 680ST
Exp
We only ever use the Pont Aven now.

I can't stand the other ship whose name escapes me.

same here ...we sailed only once on the Cap Finistre(?spelling) and found it the most dreadful crossing I have experienced since 1965 when I crossed the Irish sea from Fishguard to Rosslare in a force 9 gale. It wasn't particularly rough on the Bay of Biscay just morderate about 5 on the Beauford scale but we were tosssed round like a cork....NEVER again. I'm a good sailor but my OH isn't though he still likes sailing...we always have a Premier cabin and he goes to bed before we set sail and stays there pretty much for the whole journey with me bringing him his meals in bed:D;) to keep him well and happy.....enough of that I said ...NEVER again the Cap F...I hadn't bothered to check the ship I assumed it would be the Pont Avon...what a shock. We mostly use the Eurotunnel as we love camping in France...the only time we sail directly to or from Spain now is if there is talk of industrial action of any kind that might be likely to cause us hassle in France....we then book on the Pont Avon...we've only had to do this once in the last 5 years.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I'm on the cap finistre..... Didn't have much choice

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Pia

Free Member
Jan 16, 2017
staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Supreme 680ST
Exp
I'm on the cap finistre..... Didn't have much choice

....we're just picky because of my OH...hope you have a lovely smooth crossing....the Bay of Biscay can be, and often is, like a mill pond....sometimes it just works out so that there's no choice of ship at all....however, the nice thing about the sea journey is that it's soon over and as soon as you set foot on dry land you're 'as right as rain'...have the best time:D

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Having never gone to Spain I've no idea of the best ferries to use for a 8.5m van
I've also seen a few posts about discounts etc.... How do you get these?

Just having a quick Google search the best prices I'm quoted for January are around £509 single trip with Brittany ferries

Anyone know of better ones?

I've looked into this crossing many times and although we can afford it we just can't justify the cost, plus Sharp gets a bit queasy when it's rocking. We've been down that way and back again crossing at Calais and it's slightly longer in time but if your in no hurry it's an easy journey through France and a LOT cheeper and part of the experience.:france:

If your under time restrictions then it may be worth it but reading your previous threads I don't think you are..(y)

Reactions: Pia

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back