Feel as though I have been robbed. (1 Viewer)

Jun 16, 2014
NOTTINGHAM
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savannah
Exp
Almost a Newbie but not quite now.
I realise some have refillable gas systems but I do not and never thought I needed one, but:
We have not used our moho much lately, but last time in Spain (2 years ago) our 13kg calor ran out (or so I thought). Having moved house and just finished refurbishment we were off to Spain this year so decided to change the gas bottle. On removal I found it was still heavy and sloshed with LPG so put it back. Due to lockdown we never went but have just returned from a 5 week staycation and, using CCC CS's used a fair bit of gas. Inevitably the gas ran out so went to change it in Warwick. 1st and 2nd places had none (seems a national shortage of 13kg bottles) but a Shell garage did so charged me £44.95 yes thats correct £44.95 for an exchange. Last time I changed it it cost £27. Do they now add a gold dust to this stuff ?? :rolleyes: Just been checking the Calor site and they are quoting £43 so Shell are only making a little.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I used to do Spain regular, few times a year. Had flogas bottles as it was local and cheaper than calor.
While in Spain I always used their bottles, very easy job to swop over the clip on UK Butane adaptor to a Spanish one, Just unscrew off pigtail. Gas over there so much cheaper, say around €15 ish for 13kg. I always bought back 2 full bottles and used them up in UK before going back to standard bottles..

Last year we changed the motorhome and this one has a large fridge and the ALDE wet heating. Anticipating I may use more gas and no longer doing so many Spainish trips I finally splashed out and bought SAFEFILL.
For me this was best decision as i have a re-fill place very close and now 18 litres of gas in my 10kg bottle costs about £9.. (y) Now have a second one and already both are half paid for with the money i have saved on gas.

Jun 12, 2017
Telford
Funster No
MH
A class Pilote
Exp
I bought a 13kg 10 days ago at our local
BP and it was £34.99 so I can’t see why yours was so expensive

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Clipgate

Free Member
Jan 1, 2014
Folkestone
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Not easy to compare prices here as our currency has devalued and transport costs increased.
Guess from where our major source of LPG is from.

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
I realise some have refillable gas systems but I do not and never thought I needed one, but:
We have not used our moho much lately, but last time in Spain (2 years ago) our 13kg calor ran out (or so I thought). Having moved house and just finished refurbishment we were off to Spain this year so decided to change the gas bottle. On removal I found it was still heavy and sloshed with LPG so put it back. Due to lockdown we never went but have just returned from a 5 week staycation and, using CCC CS's used a fair bit of gas. Inevitably the gas ran out so went to change it in Warwick. 1st and 2nd places had none (seems a national shortage of 13kg bottles) but a Shell garage did so charged me £44.95 yes thats correct £44.95 for an exchange. Last time I changed it it cost £27. Do they now add a gold dust to this stuff ?? :rolleyes: Just been checking the Calor site and they are quoting £43 so Shell are only making a little.
Seems a lot,but look on the bright side,it’ll last for ages so probably still pennies per day :LOL:(y)

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
I paid £20 each for 2 x 3.9 bottles last week the local caravan centre had loads of 6kg bottles

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
I fitted a 44ltr underslung tank and use a local supplier @56p a litre. So much easier to get when abroad than here and of course you can’t get Calor over the ditch.

Plus you get space from the gas locker, we had a 55 litre one fitted.

lfoulger

Free Member
Sep 26, 2020
Funster No
MH
Elddis 275
Exp
I'm a Newbie
I've just purchased 2 off 6kg propane for the new MOHO. it cost £126. Absolute daylight robbery. but whats a guy to do. 6kg is a very hard thing to find in the northeast.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
I've just purchased 2 off 6kg propane for the new MOHO. it cost £126. Absolute daylight robbery. but whats a guy to do. 6kg is a very hard thing to find in the northeast.

Is that a refillable system that you are going to fit you mean?

Aug 31, 2014
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
4th year
I fitted a 44ltr underslung tank and use a local supplier @56p a litre. So much easier to get when abroad than here and of course you can’t get Calor over the ditch.
If you don’t mind me asking how much was your under slung tank as thinking of getting one.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
That £126 is probably 2 x full Calor bottles with the deposits required when new customer with no exchanges
you wont get a refillable system for that kinda dosh

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Never buy or hire gas bottles just pick them up from local tip. If you get lucky they may even be full !

Our local tip wont let anything out, tried to get a plastic dustbin last week that was sat on top of the skip to help out at my Grandsons cadets. No way says Mr Biffa.. They would rather it go into the landfill.. :banghead:

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
I bought a 10 kg Flowgas bottle at local Homebase about 3 months ago cost me £50 !! , seriously thinking about selling Motorhome due to this Virus and ignorance of others not social distancing properly

Hammie

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
Neismann & Bischoff Arto
Exp
newbie/2015
Sounds drastic. The Social Distancing problem is universal not just travel based.
a ‘friend’ told me last week she was going to a doo 5 tables of six people. Then she wants to stop in for a catchup! They were all old enough to know better just selfish! I was away in Cornwall thankfully and won’t be ‘catching up’ as she can’t be trusted. Perhaps we will catchup in two years?

Hammie

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
Neismann & Bischoff Arto
Exp
newbie/2015
I’ve got an empty 7kg blue butane Calor Gas bottle if anybody can use it but I’m in Surrey. They wouldn’t refund the deposit as I had the barbecue so long I don’t have the contract paperwork. They sooo very kindly offered to pick it up for free. Clearly think I came up the Clyde in a Banana boat.

Hammie

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
Neismann & Bischoff Arto
Exp
newbie/2015
If you don’t mind me asking how much was your under slung tank as thinking of getting one.
Have I got it wrong? I thought you couldn’t go on Le Shuttle with underslung??

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back