Extra fridge fans WHY!!! (1 Viewer)

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
I have a new MH with a Dometic fridge freezer that I think is pretty standard in a lot of MH's not sure of the fridge model but the MH is a carthago 2018, I have not had any issues with it but I have only used it in temps max 26 deg outside so why do people fit fridge fans and is my model the type that needs an extra fan or not.

I am asking as we are thinking of heading to the south of France again in the summer and need to be prepared as we are going for about 4 weeks.

Also in plain English please how does the extra fan help keep the fridge cooler than it is now

Also are there any funsters that use this type of fridge regularly in hotter climates and have no issues and all works fine

Thanks

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I have always fitted fridge fans, they work well at keeping inside fridge and freezer temperatures lower than without them on hot days.
We have a new van with Dometic fridge. From new, they don’t get that cold. I think the ideal temperatures inside should be around 4 degrees C for the fridge and -18 c for the freezer.
Mine goes down to about 7 in the fridge and -12 in the freezer.
Anyway, I just fitted the fridge fans and after a couple of hours running, the freezer dropped to -14 and the fridge to 6. That was with outside temps at 26c.
I don’t know the technicals of exactly how they work but they clear the warm air out of the fridge vents quicker so allowing more heat to be dissipated from the cooling fins
Whatever, they do make a difference.

Here’s the new fans fitted in the top vent.

6CFDCDBA-177F-4076-95E9-28FFC0A5E374.jpeg

Apr 2, 2017
Maidstone, UK
Funster No
MH
Laika Kreos 5009
Exp
Since 2010
Hi, I fitted external and internal fridge fans and they work brilliantly, I followed Lenny HB’s post on how to fit them and found it relatively easy. His post is called “modding my new gin palace”

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
This is the first hot trip with our fans. They have been working overtime on automatic setting for over a week here in Bavaria. I’ve noticed a definite improvement in frozen things staying frozen and I’ve only had the setting on one above the lowest.
I’m sure that it’s used a lot less gas too, we’ve not been on EHU at all and normally would have used up a lot more. Free solar to run the fans seems like a good deal !
Got the same or similar to those above that come with a frame and a controller.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I got a toilet extractor fan from the bricolage, used a sucker to hang it on the top vent outside and connected it to 240 volts. Very simple and does work.
Would be better if 12v ?

As an edit to my post above, we went out one day and left van in full sun on over 30 deg day. I forgot to turn fridge to gas from battery when we stopped. The fans obviously kept running and I was pleasantly surprised to find all contents of fridge still nicely frozen and chilled upon our return over 4 hours later. So even with the fridge “off” the vent fans produce a change of temperature over the cooling fins.

OP
OP
Lanerboy

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
Just read Lenny HB thread on fridge fans and i'm embarrassed to say it may as well be in Chinese as I don't understand a word of it. I can just about put a 3 pin plug on if I follow a diagram but that's my limit. Who could I get to install some fans like Lenny has in the Midlands area

Thanks

Apr 2, 2017
Maidstone, UK
Funster No
MH
Laika Kreos 5009
Exp
Since 2010
Sorry can’t help you there as I live in the Deep South but dometic do their own version and I think the instructions on those are relatively straightforward. Isn’t Dave Newell in the midlands

SandJ

Free Member
Sep 14, 2007
North Yorks
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Too long lol
Just read Lenny HB thread on fridge fans and i'm embarrassed to say it may as well be in Chinese as I don't understand a word of it. I can just about put a 3 pin plug on if I follow a diagram but that's my limit. Who could I get to install some fans like Lenny has in the Midlands area

Thanks
Hi try Alan DMS he can sort it for you he is a Dometic supplier as well

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging

Thanks
If you can't follow my simple instructions :D

Here are a couple of easy ways of doing it.

CBE Fridge fan kit.

Vento Fridge fan kit.

Did you read about the internal fas as well as that makes a bit different at recovering temperature after the door has been opened.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
This is my (simple) understanding of the process:
The fridge relies on circulation of the refrigerant by means of natural circulation.
This is achieved by the fact that a warm fluid will naturally rise to the highest point in a system (where it will cool and fall back down to the heat source to be heated again and the cycle continues).
In a fridge circuit, the refrigerant is cooled by the cooling fins at the top of the fridge. This provides a differential temperature between the top of the circuit and the bottom of the circuit (where the heat source is applied). The greater the differential temperature, the higher the natural circulation flow rate and hence the more effective is the cooling effect in the fridge/freezer.

Thus providing a means (fridge fans) to increase the differential temperature will increase the effectiveness of the cooling medium.

The above makes no attempt to explain how the refrigerant medium works and seeks only to explain the means of circulating the cooling medium.

Ian

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
Would be better if 12v ?

As an edit to my post above, we went out one day and left van in full sun on over 30 deg day. I forgot to turn fridge to gas from battery when we stopped. The fans obviously kept running and I was pleasantly surprised to find all contents of fridge still nicely frozen and chilled upon our return over 4 hours later. So even with the fridge “off” the vent fans produce a change of temperature over the cooling fins.
No, I specifically wanted 240v. 2 fans running on 12v for a long time have the potential to flatten the battery.

OP
OP
Lanerboy

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
Lenny HB thanks for the links I have read the bit on your thread about the fans arriving and you fitting them over and over but its just mumble jumble to me sorry but I just can't take it in, I can't find any post on there about internal fans though. I understand that the ones on the outside behind the vent push more air over the unit (I think) but that's about it I will have to get someone to do it for me.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
No, I specifically wanted 240v. 2 fans running on 12v for a long time have the potential to flatten the battery.
They take so little current and if operated by a temperature controller the current over a 24hr period is negligible. Also when off grid the power taken by an inverter to run 240v ones would take far more power.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Lenny HB thanks for the links I have read the bit on your thread about the fans arriving and you fitting them over and over but its just mumble jumble to me sorry but I just can't take it in, I can't find any post on there about internal fans though. I understand that the ones on the outside behind the vent push more air over the unit (I think) but that's about it I will have to get someone to do it for me.
Just to make your day a link to my internal fan.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I don't know if this is any easier, I installed a kit and it only needs a couple of wires, ignore the bit about the diode as it was only me messing about with solar and AES,

Martin

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Also in plain English please how does the extra fan help keep the fridge cooler than it is now

Also are there any funsters that use this type of fridge regularly in hotter climates and have no issues and all works fine

Thanks

A fan is not essential which is probably why the manufacturers don't fit them. All that happens is the fridge doesn't get as cold as it does when ambient temperatures are lower.

Absorption fridges work with a touch of magic as they achieve what intuitively shouldn't happen - the creation of cold out of heat.

The cold is generated when a gas evaporates, which it can only do by drawing heat from somewhere, say your beer or cheese inside the fridge.

The evaporated gas is then absorbed into a liquid, typically a brine.

Heat (gas or electric) is then used to boil the gas out of the brine. The hot gas rises until it reaches the finned tube at the back of your fridge. The fins cool the gas and this cooling can be aided by fans drawing air over them. The finned tube isn't horizontal but slopes downwards slightly. As the gas cools it condenses back into a liquid which runs down the slope. This is why absorption fridges don't work if they are tilted and the liquid can't run downhill.

The now cooled liquid runs back into the fridge where the magic happens because it will now boil at a much lower temperature. This happens because it shares this space with hydrogen and the low partial pressure means it can boil at -18C or even lower.

There are variations and different gases etc can be used.

A few vans now have a top fridge vent on the roof. This acts like a chimney and these don't need fans from what I've read.

But as suggested at the start, they are not essential and probably 99% of vans don't have them and their owners are still alive*. :)

Try without, see how you get on. I didn't fit fans for the first few years.

*Warm beer is not harmful but cold beer is nicer.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
If you get the CBE kit ( other kits are available) or a kit with an automatic controller, the fans don’t always run at full speed unless you use the manual setting or the internal temperature is very high, so power usage will be very little.

Oct 16, 2018
CHESTERFIELD DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
PILOTE
Exp
Long enough
We were in France for a month last year with the temperature over 38 and we noticed no drop in temperature inside the Dometic fridge/freezer.
The beer was still cold and no obvious problem with frozen food.
We have thermometers in both sections of the Dometic to check for any drop in temp.
Adding extra fans may do some good but from my experience they are rarely necessary.

?

TCG

Jul 6, 2017
Salford Priors
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Dometic AR-VKIT
I have this fan, (£60) very easy to fit the fan screws into pre drilled holes left hand side of back of fridge, just below pipework. the thermostat clips onto the pipe as directed and the supply wires just literary clip into the rear of the fridge 12 volt supply... it really is a plug and play system...
does it work...... umm did not help our fridge to cool below 9c last week in France.:(
so thats being ripped out and two vent fans will be fitted

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Reactions: DBK
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Put simply a fridge works by extracting heat from the inside and dissipating it on the outside. The faster the heat is able to dissipate the more effective the fridge will be. Hence the fans

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
One tiny fan with a bimetal temp switch for £55 they are taking the pee.
One good thing about the thermostat is that it doesn't continually use 150ma like the OTT (imo?) controllers.

My 555 circuit uses virtually nothing too ????

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
The temperature across the cooling fins on the back of the fridge has a sweet spot which gives the optimum performance of the fridge.

This is our fridge fan setup.

3 x 140mm whisper quite fans.

An internal fan to push the air around in the fridge to even the temperature top to bottom.

And temperature controllers for the fans. The fridge was not on when the photo's were taken hence the temperature readouts on the controllers.

Attachments

• 1561028356453.png
    1561028356453.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 21
  • 1561028546968.png
    1561028546968.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 20

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Thankfully it’s been so sunny our 100w solar has been keeping up as I have also been running a Thule omnivent in the roof and a John Lewis 12v desk fan by my bed

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
This doesn't really sound sensible. A 12v fan won't run down your battery if you've got ehu as the battery will be on charge and will still work if you haven't. A mains fan won't work if you don't have ehu unless you run it off an inverter which will flatten your battery more. A 12v fan uses negligible current and is much cheaper.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010

Our fans are thermostatically controlled and normally only run for maybe 30 to 40 seconds dependent on the outside temperature in a 10 to 15 minute period to maintain the fridge cooling.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back