Lenny's Modding the new Gin Palace (2 Viewers)

OP
OP
Lenny HB

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Our dealer showed me
Did you find where they had hiddent the built in solar cables in the trunking at the top of the cupboard there, it goes right down through to the back of the controller or wherever you want them all neatly bundled up ready for connection with the correct connector on???????
Mind you mine is a different model but they seem to make allowances for the optional bits when at the basis of the building of the bodywork. Just in case.
My dealer showed me where they were, they are only 4mm sq, I extended them to the roof with 6mm sq cable. did think about swapping them out for 6mm but you get the biggest loss when you have the most output, volt drop is small in the winter when the panels aren't giving out much so probably won't bother.

skylinersi

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
On this van Hymer fitted the Fantastic vent in the bedroom area (pricelist on the option said over the kitchen-Grr!!!). Great for cooling the bedroom but on a 7.5m van has no effect on the lounge, last van it was over the kitchen and worked a treat.
So for now I have fitted a Fiamma Turbo Vent in the main skylight which is over the kitchen, not a that impressed with it but it is cheap and we will see how it goes, doesn't work very well on extraction. Worst can may have to look at fitting another Fantastic vent, thats if they are any good after being taken over by Dometic, could turn into another pile of dometic crud.:)

I had to take all the rooflight surround out (sorry forgot to take photos) to find the the trunking that the cables for the lights ran through the roof in. Fitted a DPDT centre off switch in the little cupboard above the TV, switch wired to reverse the polarity so I can switch the fan between blowing & extracting.
For cooling the lounge idealy the fan need to be at the front of the rooflight but by mounting it at the back I can still pull the blind half way across to block out sunlight when it's hot.

View attachment 175510 View attachment 175511

did this in ours and felt really smug, till i saw you beat me too it, extraction isnt great agreed !

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
@sallylillian Hi Michael it's worse than expected. Went out to the van this morning, it's been on hook up over the weekend, fridge was running on 12v. Virtually no solar as raining and overcast, can only assume as the mains charger is on the Votronic sees the batteries as fully charged so sends a signal to the fridge.
A quick rumage round to find a switch and some connectors before setting off for the ferry.
Mine is an 8505.
@Lenny HB I have been thinking about this, and it seems to me that as the Dometic fridge has limited intelligence there needs to be another form of control and whilst a manual switch does the job it is requiring user input. I wonder if you could insert a relay that opens and closes the S+ connection wire. So when the EHU is connected the circuit is broken to avoid going to DC when there is AC. Maybe a task for @Gromett

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Lenny HB

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Good idea just needs a mains relay to disconnect the S connection, next project when we get back.
Last night when we stopped fridge went to 12v for about 30min before turning to gas, I can live with that.

One day Dometic might design a product that works - we live in hope.:)

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Good idea just needs a mains relay to disconnect the S connection, next project when we get back.
Last night when we stopped fridge went to 12v for about 30min before turning to gas, I can live with that.

One day Dometic might design a product that works - we live in hope.:)
Excellent let me have the solution when you have it, I may then reconnect my S+

OP
OP
Lenny HB

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Done a bit more playing, problems all come down to the stupid Domestic fridge having Solar/12v as main priority.
On a nice sunny morning I was pleased the fridge was still on 230v so I turned off the mains fridge went to gas then after a while changed to 12v. I left it for an hour then turned the mains back on fridge stayed on 12v, 2 hours later fridge still on 12 v, so I've fitted a switch in line with the S+ for now.

Jul 11, 2016
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Ixeo TL680g
Exp
returnee
Hi,
I have been following your comprehensive guide to improvement and I have a question on best practice when adding accessories requiring 12v power. I am in the process of adding a couple of USB charging points and ideally I would like it to be powered via the Schaudt so they are switched off when the control panel is switched off, but by far the easiest approach is to connect direct to leisure battery with fuse etc. I did not want to just tap into any handy cabling as the USB can pull a few amps so next step was going to see if I had any free switched ports on the EBL 119 and if so find some suitable connectors. What is the recommend approach?

OP
OP
Lenny HB

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Normally one or two free outputs on the EBL, pins available on eBay or from CPC, they are made by both Amp & Molecular I think they are called mate&lock could have given you the part number but in Spain until 20th April.
Or you could tap into an existing feed using Wagon connectors.
Two of mine are fed from a spare output on the EBL and the other from the back of a 12v socket. I do switch the USB sockets as they are cheap Chinese junk already had one die.
Switch the panel off what's all that about, don't think I've switched mine off since I've had the van.:D

Jul 11, 2016
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Ixeo TL680g
Exp
returnee
Thanks Lenny - appreciate you taking the time to respond while hopefully enjoying the Sun in Spain

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
I fitted 3 double usb sockets, and 2 additional 12vdc sockets, bought a 6 way fusebox on fleabay and took feed directly from leisure batteries circular rocker switches fitted to usb sockets, 2amp fuses for usbs, 10 amp for sockets. Inline 20a fuse between fusebox and batteries, Like Lenny I have never switched panel off in almost 15 months of ownership.

OP
OP
Lenny HB

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
A little mod that will make life more comfortable.
@Norman Jones & anyone with a concealed in the cupboard loo roll holder will like this one. As you well know the loo roll jams its self against the door when you pull it and it tears off flush with the door and you have to open the door to get at more paper problem is you are in the way sitting on the bog, literally a pain in the arse.

Simple solution I used a pice of 15 mm speedfit pipe and cut a couple of notches in it so it clips on the basket side rails.

P1130695.JPG

P1130696.JPG

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
I removed the basket and bought a cheapie bog roll holder with spring loaded centre roller, brilliant.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
A little mod that will make life more comfortable.
@Norman Jones & anyone with a concealed in the cupboard loo roll holder will like this one. As you well know the loo roll jams its self against the door when you pull it and it tears off flush with the door and you have to open the door to get at more paper problem is you are in the way sitting on the bog, literally a pain in the arse.

Simple solution I used a pice of 15 mm speedfit pipe and cut a couple of notches in it so it clips on the basket side rails.

View attachment 235372

View attachment 235373
My kind of 'fix' but I can't see the point in wasting valuable cupboard space for a silly toilet roll holder ... I'm sure I could think of a much better use for the 'rack'!

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
My kind of 'fix' but I can't see the point in wasting valuable cupboard space for a silly toilet roll holder ... I'm sure I could think of a much better use for the 'rack'!
Not if you got a big hymer with loads of space(y)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
What else am I supposed to do with all the empty cupboards.:)
Fill them ... the extra weight may make the ride better! :LOL:

Norman Jones

Free Member
Jan 13, 2015
Nr Aberystwyth
Funster No
MH
A class, Hymer 620 mli
Exp
since 1982
Dear Lenny, Really worried, have you got a bug in my bog ??? Good idea, I find the upright bog roll on the shelf much easier!!!

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
After a couple of bottles of Nuit st George the old aim goes a bit off so you need something to soak it up

Norman Jones

Free Member
Jan 13, 2015
Nr Aberystwyth
Funster No
MH
A class, Hymer 620 mli
Exp
since 1982
Lenny is obviously a man on my wavelength who enjoys the subtle pleasure of a sitty down wee in the night, with nice warm feet !!!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
It’s a carpet square guys give us a break and my aim is spot on.
.... but which precise spot is your 'aim on' is the question .... :D2

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Lenny is obviously a man on my wavelength who enjoys the subtle pleasure of a sitty down wee in the night, with nice warm feet !!!
... are the warm feet as a consequence of your aim also being off the mark???? :LOL:

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
... are the warm feet as a consequence of your aim also being off the mark???? :LOL:
I lost the accuracy-enhancing portion a few years back (it's in a jar somewhere in Manchester) so I'm now a sitty-downer with a warm, dry carpet. And under-floor heating (but I don't like to brag) :D.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back