Exporting a motorhome to NZ (1 Viewer)

Elliotts

Free Member
Aug 23, 2017
Funster No
We are emigrating to NZ and leaving these shores and thinking of taking a new motorhome with us. I'm contemplating buying one from Germany for export, as if it's not complicated enough buying one in the UK, I am wondering if there is a deal to be struck still despite the appalling EURO rate from buying in Europe. As it's for export I understand I have 12 months.
Failing that I'll get one from the UK

Lots to consider as we pretty much are hoping to be leaving within 6 months ... so little time to get it ordered and bought...
There are only certain manufacturers I'd be looking at as it's ultimately for the NZ market and resale over there.
My budget can stretch to a small A class but I'm not yet sold on the idea as I'd like to keep it under £75k if feasible ...
Any thoughts/guidance very much appreciated

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
There is a good article in this months MMM about a couple that purchased a new MH as it is a lot easier to get into NZ with rather than s/h..
They had it for the duration 4 or 6 months I think then sold it for what it cost them in total trip and MH.
Apparently big A class are not a good resale in NZ because of regulations, there was a chap from the UK who lives in NZ that sorted all the paperwork out and got the MH road legal when it landed.
Worth having a read I think, I cannot see how it would not work coming from Germany, in this country they had to have the new MH delivered on a lorry to the docks so they could buy it VAT free.

Upvote 0

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Some one on here exported their MoHo from here to NZ and was going to sell when they finished touring.
Theirs wasn't new but they would know about costs etc.
Might be worth a search :D

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
I don't know if things have changed, but a few and more years ago my brother took a S/H car with him back to NZ, import was very expensive and very very difficult. It had to be steam cleaned everywhere, fumigated and almost put in quarantine

Malcolm.

Upvote 0
Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
I don't know if things have changed, but a few and more years ago my brother took a S/H car with him back to NZ, import was very expensive and very very difficult. It had to be steam cleaned everywhere, fumigated and almost put in quarantine

Malcolm.

That's why it is recommended to take a new one..apparently they are very very fussy about secondhand vehicles coming into the country.

Upvote 0
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
I think you will find that it needs to be rhd with at least one door on the leftside.

Good idea though as they are a ridiculous price and limited choice over there.

Jon

Upvote 0

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I think you will find that it needs to be rhd with at least one door on the leftside.

Good idea though as they are a ridiculous price and limited choice over there.

Jon

As above... RHD will be far more desirable.. Autotrails are very popular down there, I am on the Facebook owners group and we have several members from NZ.. Some UK owners have bought vans, taken them to NZ, toured and then sold and got most if not all of their cash back.. Cant offer any further advise..

Upvote 0
OP
OP
E

Elliotts

Free Member
Aug 23, 2017
Funster No
Thanks for the replies, I have already been in touch with Paul Graveling about helping me on the import.
I was aware of the A class thing, but I've always wanted one!
I'm probably going to end up with a Burstner or something - although having been to the motorhome shows in Brum for years I was watched the quality and finish degrade on them.
The wintering/weathering of whatever the term is .. is appealing though.
My plan would be to buy one here, run it across to southern europe for the winter this winter , having sold the house, sort out any gripes and minor issues and then export it ...
that way it depreciates a little bit and the NZ customs guys hit we will a smaller bill :)

Sounds like a plan?

I suppose the question is - is there any discount in buying in Germany at the moment with the Euro at 1.09, probably not! I might be better getting an end of 2017 season deal from a dealer in the UK...

Lots to ponder!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
E

Elliotts

Free Member
Aug 23, 2017
Funster No
yup i'm only looking at a RHD UK spec vehicle for sure - to aid resale after 12 months or so

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back