Ever had something completely off the wall happen in your Camper/Mobile home? (1 Viewer)

Herbyventures

Free Member
Oct 17, 2019
Funster No
MH
Ford Transit selfbui
Exp
My other half came in from the garage yesterday - he's working on our van conversion and using the garage as a workshop. I thought there was something a bit odd about his hair. '"Well" he said and he took a deep breath. "How about this for a scenario? I had the can of carpet glue on the floor next to me and there was a knife on the floor because I was trimming carpet on the van door. I moved my foot, accidentally kicked the knife, it shot across the floor, pierced the can of glue and the can of glue went off like a rocket, spinning around spraying glue all over the inside of the van. I couldn't get hold of it! I think I've got some in my hair"
Yes, reader, there was glue in his hair. An entire can of solvent later we think we've got rid of it from both his hair and the van interior.... thank the god of van conversions we had covers on the front seats.

PeterCarole29

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 23, 2013
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Renault Master Fleetwood
Exp
20 years
Not quite as bad .Working at home on our new build using expanding foam which i had placed in a tub on the floor dropped a sharp screw it stuck straight in .You have never seen any one run around trying to find a bag to stick it in.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
when we built our self build i put the window in the side door and the blind cassette on to the ply lining. When i tried to open the door the cassette hit the body of the van at the rear.Realised the cassette would need to be recessed i took it all to pieces planed the frame down 25 mm to allow for the recess put it back together and put a screw straight through the side of the door i had reused the same screws and not thought about the extra length

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
Not quite as bad .Working at home on our new build using expanding foam which i had placed in a tub on the floor dropped a sharp screw it stuck straight in .You have never seen any one run around trying to find a bag to stick it in.
window fixer on a job i was on had one explode in the lounge of a house total bill was six grand three piece suite carpets and redec

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Glad he wasn't overcome wit the fumes.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Not quite like that but we went over to another van on the site. when we came back and found this old couple in our then new van. They said they liked it very much. And thanked us and left. ???
Yes, you were very polite to us weren’t you! :cool:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
back when I was working, I spent evenings and weekends when spare on converting a vw LT35, the big old square one, not the sprinter. I had nearly finished the rear shower/ wetroom before going to a show. To empty the cassette toilet, I had to open the back doors and had left them open when going over to do the emptying. On coming back, there was a crowd round my van and 2 people photographing the wetroom.

It turned out that they were from one of the big converters and loved the design. 2 years later my design with a few alterations was then being put into production line vehicles

Jul 10, 2017
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
10 at night , knock at the van door, v pissed lady , from the pitch next door , asking if we had a bottle of wine to sell her / spare as she had run out . We apologised as we were on dry “ Jan / Feb / March / April/ May/ June ( we really were as we were on a proper diet ) , she was NOT happy ?

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
We were parked up at Cleeveleys sea front a few years ago and after midnight there was someone knocking at our door, our then little Jack Russell was going mad.
Pat said to me please don’t go out side, anyway I opened the door and this bloke asked me if we were there for the dogging.
I was that flabbergasted I just said no and shut the door.

John.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
On our very first Moho jaunt to France in our 1 week old Swift Bessacar, there we were on an aire at the seaside when I think a Dutch lady came and asked me if I had any books she could have to read because she enjoyed English books. Oh what sort of books do you like? I asked. Vimmins Books was her reply. Do you mean romances? asked I. Yes.

No sorry said I, I have a couple of detective type novels I plan to read this holiday but haven't started either yet, but that's all. Seemed to find that incredible. So I showed her them - and she stomped off highly disgruntled as clearly - I was at fault!

I'd also got a Brentford Trilogy book too (possibly Sex, Drugs and Sausage Rolls) but no way did I fancy trying to explain THAT to anyone who didn't have a sense of humour ….

Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
A couple of years ago I was overnighting in a laybye just outside of York. That evening a guy walked passed the van and looked through the window, he then paced up the laybye and walked slowly back all the while looking at the van, assuming he was interested in vans I opened the door and asked him if he would like to look inside :unsure:
I have never seen anyone extinguish a cigarette and drive off so fast in my life, discovered a couple of days later that it was a well known dogging site, he must have thought that I was a homosexual and I sincerely hope it gave him a BIG fright :LOL:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Who was it a year or 2 back that stopped in a layby and an amorous man tried to slide his hand up the leg of his shorts? Think it was Vic Barclaybasher

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
There was the time we parked in a panoramic parking spot next to a reservoir in France (not far away from and a day or two later from the place where that asian family were gunned down). We were sitting in the back having lunch, and looked up to see an incredibly evil-looking guy with his nose pressed up against the tinted kitchen window, his hands cupping his eyes so he could see in. But he couldn't see me even when I waved him away. He then went to the driver's side window, obviously thinking the van was empty, looking at the radio and sat nav, etc. The keys were in the ignition. Wifey jumped up and shooed him away, he looked really shocked that he had been spotted, and then went to his car, and got something small and heavy from the driver's door. We thought it was a gun, I jumped in the front and hastily did a tyre screaming 3 point turn and drove off. The gun turned out to be binoculars, with which he was pretended he was using to look at the view.

Moral. Always park with van pointing out.

Or another time when we sat in the back having lunch, and heard a funny groaning noise. Parked on a slope, I hadn't put it in gear or properly pulled up the handbrake.

Clickem

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years
I was sat in the van, opposite my wife, having our lunch in a motorway stop. We had not put up the table, which you could erect between the two single beds/settees, so we were eating off plates on our knees. Looking over my wife’s shoulder and out of the side window, at the van parked next to us, I realised that our van was rolling backwards. I jumped up, to dash forward to the cab to grab the handbrake, sending our dinners flying in all directions

When I arrived at the cab end, I realised that it was the van next to us that was moving away, forward, creating for me, the illusion that we were rolling backwards. I had a lot of apologising to do

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2010
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
About a year ago we were in Belgium (hardly a million miles away) and a man with two small boys in tow came over to us. He asked if his sons could look at the front of the camper as they had never seen a vehicle with the steering wheel on the wrong side!

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
Last month at the start of our tour we arrived at the aire in Arguedas in Spain. Only 2 other vans there and one was an English Frankia. We parked near to them and I couldn't believe it when I clocked the number plates.
050320 Arguedas (3).jpg

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Last month at the start of our tour we arrived at the aire in Arguedas in Spain. Only 2 other vans there and one was an English Frankia. We parked near to them and I couldn't believe it when I clocked the number plates.
View attachment 375041
you were probably in the showroom buying your vans at the same time too

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
I’ve posted this before but I was rudely awakened one night with a frantic knocking on the van door, sleep in my eyes and not able to find my glasses, I made my way to the door and opened it, it was a very attractive older woman, as I opened the door she looked at me for what felt like an eternity, slowly licking her lips as if using her tongue to sew together her thoughts, then she reached forward and grabbed my hand firmly, pulling herself into the van, her grip was soft yet confident; her fingers tightly interloped through mine, gently asserting dominance over my upturned palm, she’d done this before. Suddenly she was swivelling me around to a seat tucked into the corner of the darkened cab area, and sitting down on the other chair to face me, She was in close our knees touched. She swung her hand around to the small of my back, pulled me in close, and kissed me with the intensity of a highschool kid with five seconds to spare before his mom walks in the room. It was electric. I immediately felt an overwhelming desire to be as close as physically possible to her, I pulled her onto my knee and she looped her legs around my back. She took my cue and slid her hand roughly beneath me, pulling herself further toward me in one fluid movement further onto my lap, holding me tightly and kissing me more deeply. I began to ache for her a kind of deep-down ache that made my legs quiver as she threaded her fingers through my hair and tugged back on it to ensure I knew she was in control. Who was this woman? She moved like someone much younger, I leaned in and she whispered into my ear, I’m your bloody wife you pillock, don’t lock me out of the van again, I only took the dog for a walk...................I really must lay off the gin :unsure:

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Yep. Very much off the wall.
A very naïve biker pal and his wife bought a very old m/h, their first. They loaded the cupboards with crockery, pans, tinned stuff etc. and went away for a week with their Husky dog snoozing in the back.
On the third day when he had to brake very hard there was a mighty crash and the loaded wall cupboards one side crashed to the floor with one heck of a racket. The entire body was soggy with damp. The dog has developed PTSD and won't go near it now.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back