Ever been broken into on a CMC site? (1 Viewer)

Sep 3, 2019
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Benimar tessoro 463
Exp
Since 2019
Evening all, I’m looking at upgrading security on my motorhome, before I do, I would like to pose the question to you all....

Has your motorhome been broken into on a managed UK site such as a CMC site?

I know some of you swear by spending hundreds of pounds on security, and some of you choose to leave your door unlocked so as not cause damage. Just be interesting to get feel for actual numbers rather than companies marketing.

Thanks in advance for all your comments

Dec 13, 2019
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2019
In our caravan years, never. We have just crossed over to a MH. I still would not worry on a CAMC site but, with a MH we are finding that we are going further afield and stopping in nice places to go for walks (something we would not have ever done with a caravan on the back). In view of this we have gone for Millenco visible secondary locks on the garage and hab doos, Heosafe locks on the internal side of the cab doors. Finally, we are having a Growler alarm fitted by Vanbitz. All of the above decided on with the invaluable assistance of posters on this forum.
Nothing will stop a determined thief but, out thinking is that we hope they will go for a softer target.
Safe travels 👍

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Years ago, on our way home from France, someone tried to steal our bikes at Chester Fairoaks. We reported this to the wardens who informed the police. Local CID phoned us after we had left to say that they had collared the guy. Site staff were great, since then extensive CCTV has been installed and we still use the site.

Dec 25, 2015
Nelson New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
Since 1998
There are warning signs about thefts at Abbey Wood site. “Do not leave anything outside your motorhome. Foxes about”. Neighbour lost an expensive pair of Berkenstocks.

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Never, anywhere.

Aug 31, 2014
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
4th year
Not on site, it did get stolen off my drive though!

Aug 22, 2017
Funster No
MH
Wildax Europa PVC
Exp
Since 2014 -- cycle-camper before that
There are warning signs about thefts at Abbey Wood site. “Do not leave anything outside your motorhome. Foxes about”. Neighbour lost an expensive pair of Berkenstocks.

And don't leave your swimming goggles out when this cat's about:

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
We was questioned one day, walking out of a Camping and Caravan Club site in the forest of dean, not only had they smashed the gate and barrier down 😯 they had stolen a big twin axle caravan from right in front of us. 😁
We hadn't spotted that gone or or the thing's they had disposed of and left on the pitch. 😆
Apparently not the first time from the site. 🤔 Bob.

Jan 14, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2007
Not exactly broken into, but had a brand new caravan stolen from a compound on a managed CMC site back in the day when we were tuggers.
Had all the locks on it , wheel hitch etc and they never heard or saw a thing! And the compound was at the back of the site, furthest point from the entrance and past where the wardens were pitched.

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
We were broke into but not and club site, we were on a CL, they broke in through window and left the same way so the alarm didn’t sound, the signal movement detectors didn’t work. I think it would be different now we have the Van bitz growler.

Eggs

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Suffolk
Funster No
In over thirty years on and off of living in/on caravans, Moho, and narrowboats I've never been broken into. Never had an alarm but used to have a dogs.

Nov 19, 2010
Walking the dog
Funster No
MH
Hymer 680 Starline
Exp
since 2012
No.

There was a post here about a month ago from someone having their bike and quad bike stolen at Tredegar Park, Newport.

Jan 6, 2019
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Burstner TD690G
Exp
Since 2018
No, Phantom alarm & tracker and a anchor bolted through garage floor to protect bikes when out walking.
Unfortunately you will not prevent the determined thief. just best to make yours more problematic!

Better to be born lucky.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
It has always semed to me that collecting many MHs in one place could be like puttinh a honeypot out and being surprised if bees collect.

As for 'safety in numbers', I doubt whethe the wardens or any MH/Caravan occupants could identify all those legitimately on site and differentiate from outsiders scouting around.

I think we are safer on our own wilding as I think thieves do not drive miles around country lanes on the off-chance of finding someone parked up. Any noise made approaching such a unit must be a stranger and cannot be the neighbours. Immediate Alert!

Just my take on the differences.

Geoff

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
It has always semed to me that collecting many MHs in one place could be like puttinh a honeypot out and being surprised if bees collect.

As for 'safety in numbers', I doubt whethe the wardens or any MH/Caravan occupants could identify all those legitimately on site and differentiate from outsiders scouting around.

I think we are safer on our own wilding as I think thieves do not drive miles around country lanes on the off-chance of finding someone parked up. Any noise made approaching such a unit must be a stranger and cannot be the neighbours. Immediate Alert!

Just my take on the differences.

Geoff
Our van was the only one on a small rural CMC CL when we got broken in to.

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
I know of motorhomes and caravans having been broken into or stolen from club CLs when I was involved in investigating vehicle crime. It's not a regular occurrence, but it does happen. Don't automatically assume they are more secure just because they are on a site. Assess the location, and if you think a thief could access the field or wherever your van is parked without being noticed by the owners, treat it no differently to a public car park.

A few years ago we stayed at the C&CC site at Bellingham and were told to be aware that there had been a spate of what they believed to be local youths entering the site at night and helping themselves to whatever they fancied from unlocked lockers, awnings or left outside not tied down. We set the Growler each night and when we went out, but I wasn't personally aware of any problems whilst we were there.

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
Edinburgh CAMC site had a problem with bike theft. They now have secure bike lock-ups and strongly encourage you to use them - nice site though!

Sep 7, 2010
cardiff
Funster No
MH
Frankia 7900 Platin plus
Exp
since 2010
Never had any problems camping over 40 years. Cardiff site has a reputation for bike thefts.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Evening all, I’m looking at upgrading security on my motorhome, before I do, I would like to pose the question to you all....

Has your motorhome been broken into on a managed UK site such as a CMC site?

I know some of you swear by spending hundreds of pounds on security, and some of you choose to leave your door unlocked so as not cause damage. Just be interesting to get feel for actual numbers rather than companies marketing.

Thanks in advance for all your comments
I think you are looking in the wrong place. :) Your MH is more likely to be broken into when parked at home, in storage or when parked while you do some shopping.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Not broken into, but we have had Lafuma chairs nicked off the pitch.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back