Eurotunnel France. (1 Viewer)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
If my family, children and grandchildren were under threat and likely to be harmed or killed then I know what I would do.

Abandon them and travel thousands of miles to try and force your way into foreign country that's known as a soft touch for handing out benefits to anyone and everyone?

Can't say that I would but each to their own.

Emmenay

Free Member
Dec 11, 2011
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-tiki 600
Exp
Since 2011
  1. seems to me that an accident of birth sees us in our mobile palaces looking down on these unfortunate wretches who will go to any lengths to try to improve their lot, where is your compassion gentlemen?

Emmenay DOES NOT like this.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
These are all well fed ,well clothed young men, they aren't under any danger, just think its clever to get to England to doss like they're doing now but get paid for it into the bargain, doesn't matter what hardship they cause for anyone else.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
For the most part these people aren't desperate or oppressed or in danger or any other nonsense that the bleeding hearts would have you believe. They are nothing more than criminal scum that want to get into the UK for no other reasons that to take advantage of our soft benefit system and even softer, barely fit for purpose, criminal justice system.

It really is time that they were forcibly removed and if the French don't have the stomach for it then maybe the offer to help them do it should be made in stronger terms.

OP
OP
Tom A
Apr 26, 2014
Thornton Cleveleys
Funster No
MH
2004 Bessacarr E735
Exp
3 years
Silly question, we return from France via the tunnel tomorrow morning and will be running the gauntlet for the first time, are there any specifics I should be aware of to avoid sitting in freight queues? Is that where MHs are directed as "high vehicles", or can I jump in with the cars?
Has you come along the motorway drive past all the trucks and turn onto slip road at last minute.
Heading from Dunkerque truck lane is to the right and to need to bear left after you come off.
Beat of luck and don't worry.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
We have booked the tunnel for next month and starting to think it's a bad idea.. and certainly not relishing the return trip..

If this situation is ongoing I'll be looking for an alternative crossing .. It was on the news that a lot of fright companies are now using Dunkirk ..

I think the problems are focused more on the freight terminal than the car one. Leave someone in the van to keep an eye open when you're at pet passport, other than that I wouldn't be too concerned.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I think the problems are focused more on the freight terminal than the car one. Leave someone in the van to keep an eye open when you're at pet passport, other than that I wouldn't be too concerned.

I'm concerned if we get stuck in traffic on the approach roads .. but will keep an eye on the news.. if it looks iffy on the return leg would rather pay for a single ferry trip from Dunkirk than risk running the gauntlet..

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I'm concerned if we get stuck in traffic on the approach roads

I understand your point but there shouldn't be any unless there's another strike planned. Another member on here came back at 9AM the day after the strike and told me the car backlog had already been cleared by that point. They even got an earlier train! The lorries at that point were still in a mess.

Trying to remember from another thread a while ago if we're travelling back the day before or the day after you. If it's the day before I'll let you know how we find it (y)

Oct 5, 2009
anglesey
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
since 1999
We came back via the tunnel on a Thursday in mid April, the trucks were backed up down the slip roads and onto the motorway but we drove straight past in the outer lane into the car section.
Took the dog into his passport check and the girls doing the checks said that it is always busy with trucks on Thursdays and they sometimes block both lanes might be a day to avoid in future

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
We came back via the tunnel on a Thursday in mid April, the trucks were backed up down the slip roads and onto the motorway but we drove straight past in the outer lane into the car section.
Took the dog into his passport check and the girls doing the checks said that it is always busy with trucks on Thursdays and they sometimes block both lanes might be a day to avoid in future
Thanks for that Thursday advice, no Thursday's booked but I now know to avoid it.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
it is always busy with trucks on Thursdays and they sometimes block both lanes might be a day to avoid in future

too late for us.. we have booked return leg on 13th Aug.. a Thursday :(

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
too late for us.. we have booked return leg on 13th Aug.. a Thursday :(
We have travelled on a Thursday before im sure... We have never really had a problem.. But if you're a little flexible you may be able to change your booking day for a small amount... If that would help. Same time the day before or after may not be too much different. I think we paid £12 extra for a oneone day change in Sept

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
seems to me that an accident of birth sees us in our mobile palaces looking down on these unfortunate wretches who will go to any lengths to try to improve their lot, where is your compassion gentlemen?

I certainly have compassion for them and their situation up to the point when it becomes obvious that they have no compassion for my personal situation or my country and will do pretty much anything to get what they want, at my or my countries expense. At that point my compassion goes out the window and I really couldn't give a s..t

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
This was our first trip to France and we used the tunnel we returned last weekend and didn't see any sign of trouble and hoping to return in September. Must admit it looks very frighting when you see it on the TV.
return booked for the 13th Aug

well at least its not Friday the 13th:giggle:

while i'm aware the situation could always deteriorate further. Its really a freight transport problem.....As long as you drive straight in and out I really see nothing to worry about

Reactions: DBK
Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
well at least its not Friday the 13th:giggle:

while i'm aware the situation could always deteriorate further. Its really a freight transport problem.....As long as you drive straight in and out I really see nothing to worry about

Yes so long as they don't bring thread to a standstill, its fine, we came back last Thursday with not a sign of and trouble or migrants. I think if there were obvious problems I would just drive away and try the next day.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Some very disturbing comments on here which show peoples real side, any chance that we remember they are human beings.
Question; What would you do in their situation for you and your family?
Probably many of those who have commented here have distant relatives who were economic migrants, for example the Scots and Irish who went to the USA or perhaps some Italian blood which came here to make ice-cream? Not to mention, looking further afield the legions of Portuguese who went to Brazil or the Galicians who went I think to Argentina. And the Welsh to the tip of the same continent.

Different times now, but it has been going on for centuries. And of course those countries welcomed the immigrants, well except for the indigenous population who were turfed off their tribal lands to make room for the settlers.

Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Some very disturbing comments on here which show peoples real side, any chance that we remember they are human beings.
Question; What would you do in their situation for you and your family?

Answer; The lads at calais don't appear to be doing much for anyone except themselves, there is a marked absence of "families". Yes they are human beings and of course they deserve sympathy and perhaps help but if anyone imagines them welcoming us with open arms if the situation were reversed they are, I suggest sadly mistaken. These people come from places where human life is worth little and practically nothing if you happen by accident of birth to be female, or belong to the wrong tribe. I doubt they would have any sympathy for us at all.

I wonder, if some Funster suggest we all load our vans with food and clothing and drive overt Calais to park near the jungle and feed and cloth them and let them sleep in and use our vans facilities whist awaiting their change to get the UK, how long the que of "Migrantaid" campers would be.

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
Does this change any minds
image.jpg

Nov 8, 2014
DORSET
Funster No
MH
AutoSleeper Nuevo EK
Answer; The lads at calais don't appear to be doing much for anyone except themselves, there is a marked absence of "families". Yes they are human beings and of course they deserve sympathy and perhaps help but if anyone imagines them welcoming us with open arms if the situation were reversed they are, I suggest sadly mistaken. These people come from places where human life is worth little and practically nothing if you happen by accident of birth to be female, or belong to the wrong tribe. I doubt they would have any sympathy for us at all.

I wonder, if some Funster suggest we all load our vans with food and clothing and drive overt Calais to park near the jungle and feed and cloth them and let them sleep in and use our vans facilities whist awaiting their change to get the UK, how long the que of "Migrantaid" campers would be.

And do you really believe that barbaric comments that appear here and in the press will help the situation, I think not.
Your second paragraph was shall we say a little flippant but not a bad idea, however, greed in todays society does not equal others need.

Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
And do you really believe that barbaric comments that appear here and in the press will help the situation, I think not.
Your second paragraph was shall we say a little flippant but not a bad idea, however, greed in todays society does not equal others need.

I think the comments reflect people's true feelings and I don't think refusing entry or sending them back to the first country that they landed in and should have stayed in is barbaric. I am not commenting on the poor souls adrift in boats. I am talking only about those who are in Calais. They are there voluntarily because the choose to come to the UK. They could and should have stayed in the first safe country.

As to my suggestion being flippant. Perhaps it was but I haven't yet seen anyone on here who espouses how they should be pitied and helped actually suggest doing anything about it themselves. I say yet as it could happen, but I doubt it. So who's to be first in the que

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
So exactly how many of these migrants with iPads are also members of Fun to be be offended by the comments posted??
So you think it is fine to call us barbaric because we do not share your views? Are you first in line for the mobile funsters food bank & hotel at Calais. I very much doubt it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back