Eurotunnel, arrival earlier than 2 hours before booking. (1 Viewer)

May 30, 2019
Aberdeen, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin Supreme
Exp
Since 2018
I have an ordinary ticket, no flex etc.

Guidance says to arrive no more than 2 hours before departure time. Has anyone arrived really early e.g. 3 or 4 hours before? What happened, did they let you in or were you refused entry?

Crossing tomorrow but the way things have worked out I can be there 4 hours early. If I could get a much earlier train then more travel time on the other side. Normally we arrive around the 2 hours and they bump us onto an earlier train when we check into the pet reception centre.

Appreciate advice from those who have arrived early and experienced this.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
The only time this didn't work for us was having an early morning crossing and getting there before midnight , don't know if it's different now but apparently then you couldn't be there the day before your crossing as the booking thing only worked for the day so they sent us out again.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
We were turned away last October when we turned up just shy of three hours early. I think at the time there was a lot of works going on and so the car park wasn't its usual size.

We just went and parked up at the local Tesco until we were within two hours.

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
Depends on the time of your booking. The cheaper tickets start after 4pm. I have had a booking for 4.45pm and arrived 3 hours early and was offered crossings at 3.45pm with a large charge to change, but also the offer of a crossing at 4.10pm for no extra charge. I often wonder how desperate and pushed for time would you need to be to pay instead of waiting an extra 30 minutes or so.

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004

Guidance says to arrive no more than 2 hours before departure time. Has anyone arrived really early e.g. 3 or 4 hours before? What happened, did they let you in or were you refused entry?

Crossing tomorrow but the way things have worked out I can be there 4 hours early. If I could get a much earlier train then more travel time on the other side. Normally we arrive around the 2 hours and they bump us onto an earlier train when we check into the pet reception centre.

did it last week, and was put on an hour earlier train, 00:18

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
It seems to depend on how busy they are. We have been as early as 4 hours ahead and been allowed in, usually with an earlier free crossing. We were turned away coming back one busy Sunday afternoon when we were there I think 2.5 hours early.

We have also turned up many days early and at completely the wrong time coming home for a family issue, and the machine offered us an almost immediate crossing at no charge.

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
We are on the train now under the channel, should have been 2020 departure but moved forward to 1920 but actually left at 1905,
I have never seen the car park so empty,
We arrived at Calais at 1800 hours so are quite happy to go early,
Just had time for a cuppa before boarding 😁 obviously we are on French time at the moment,

May 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Last Monday we were allowed on an hour early on the outbound leg and 90 minutes early on Saturday for the return.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Never been on the correct crossing. Always been on an earlier crossing.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
Had crossings altered at both ends a day before by phoning the office at UK/Calais, going across from france ,was asked how soon could i be there ,we were in calais so i said 30 mins. My words !! .. " Get your bottoms..? :ROFLMAO: here you will be on the next one after you arrive." Same from the UK back, had planned on staying at the Black horse...they were closed...... Rang up and was told much the same,this time.. " Keep coming you are on the next train " Have nothing but praise for the tunnel services freight side and private,had only good service at all times. long may it continue.
Tea Bag.
PS. Looking to come across this year if i can Tear myself and Jennifer away from Praia de Mira.Municipal site. All our growlers love/loved it , sitting at the open " Whoosh Bang " door having face rubs and ear ruffling from people going past. (y)

Feb 2, 2019
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740C
Exp
We had a 05.20 train in December but we arrived at 22.00 the night before because our usual park up is no longer available in Folkestone.

When we went into pet check in the following morning they said they were getting worried cause they could see we had booked in but hadn't presented. They did say that we shouldn't really park up overnight, but no harm done.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
We just arrived at the calais side(8am) for a 10.18 train and they have brought us forward an hour to 9.18.no charge.( we had previously brought it forward 2 hrs online without a charge.) But on line other than a couple of hours they did indicate a charge extra and the minimum was £51 .

Billiefarrah

Free Member
Nov 9, 2020
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Since 1984

Yes we have been lucky they have always let us on early

lou020

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 5, 2010
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
autotrail chieftain
Exp
since 2010
we were turned away last November, arrived at 10pm for a 06.30 train. we've always stayed overnight on the car park but not this time.
told to come back no more than 2 hours before booking time. little jobsworth said it was the police who'd made the rule and the car park was full, we went back at 05.00 and the car park was nearly empty...... we stayed on Tesco car park, never saw any parking signs, but ended up with a £30 fine. there was 2 of us and only got one fine(bargain). if we stayed on the Tesco car park again I'd cover the front No plate before going in...as that's what's on the photo.

we did walk around to check for signage, but couldn't see any.

Sep 4, 2022
Funster No
MH
vw grand california

They will offer you an earlier crossing but you will probably have to pay extra.
In Calais I arrived the evening before In heavy rain they offered me an immediate crossing for £70 extra or I could stay in the carpark overnight free and get on my booked crossing.
But this was the dog check in that in Calais is before the main check in

Oct 4, 2018
Funster No
MH
AS Winchcombe
Exp
Not so new now
I think it’s volume and seasonal dependent. Peak times and peak season probably unlikely but my experience, low season is being offered earlier crossing.
Incidentally I brought my last return crossing forward a day, to avoid the M25 closure, by using the ticket edit option on the Le Shuttle app. The fee was only £20, on a standard ticket, which I thought was very reasonable.

Holly's mum

Funster
Jan 29, 2017
nr Huntingdon, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
We just arrived at the calais side(8am) for a 10.18 train and they have brought us forward an hour to 9.18.no charge.( we had previously brought it forward 2 hrs online without a charge.) But on line other than a couple of hours they did indicate a charge extra and the minimum was £51 .
We are in the boarding area now in Calais.
We arrived just over 2 hours early to check-in and were offered a train and hour earlier than our booked one at 11.18 for no charge.
We have usually arrived early and usually get offered an earlier crossing for no charge, I don't bother with crossings were they are going to charge extra.

Sep 7, 2017
Funster No
Last October we were turned away less than two hours before our crossing. I think there were some delays, but the main reason was the parking area was smaller because they were installing the biometric area. We were told to come back no more than an hour earlier. This wasn’t a jobsworth, it was the booking in machine, but a helpful gentleman explained and directed us out.

Ironically when we returned we were put on an warlier train anyway!

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
I think it’s volume and seasonal dependent. Peak times and peak season probably unlikely but my experience, low season is being offered earlier crossing.
Incidentally I brought my last return crossing forward a day, to avoid the M25 closure, by using the ticket edit option on the Le Shuttle app. The fee was only £20, on a standard ticket, which I thought was very reasonable.
Is it really reasonable? You did all the work, everything at their end is electronic - I bet they love all those twenty quiddses (is that a word?)

The airlines are far worse with their drip pricing and false advertising.

Rant over :giggle:

OP
OP
Andy MacD
May 30, 2019
Aberdeen, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin Supreme
Exp
Since 2018
Thanks all. I’m well used to arriving 2 hours early and being put on an earlier train. Like others I wouldn’t pay to travel early.

My question has (not) been answered, if you pitch up earlier than 2 hours then sometimes you’ll get in and sometimes you won’t. 😀

Anyway, by this evening I’ll be in France and in a couple of days by the Med with 21c temps. 😎

Pity it’s going to be a bit cooler next week.

Oct 4, 2018
Funster No
MH
AS Winchcombe
Exp
Not so new now
Is it really reasonable? You did all the work, everything at their end is electronic - I bet they love all those twenty quiddses (is that a word?)

The airlines are far worse with their drip pricing and false advertising.

Rant over :giggle:
Balanced against a night in Calais I probably saved a £100!! 😂

Sep 21, 2016
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740
Exp
since 2007
Thanks all. I’m well used to arriving 2 hours early and being put on an earlier train. Like others I wouldn’t pay to travel early.

My question has (not) been answered, if you pitch up earlier than 2 hours then sometimes you’ll get in and sometimes you won’t. 😀

Anyway, by this evening I’ll be in France and in a couple of days by the Med with 21c temps. 😎

Pity it’s going to be a bit cooler next week.
sorry for wasting your time by not answering :giggle:

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
we were turned away last November, arrived at 10pm for a 06.30 train. we've always stayed overnight on the car park but not this time.
told to come back no more than 2 hours before booking time. little jobsworth said it was the police who'd made the rule and the car park was full, we went back at 05.00 and the car park was nearly empty...... we stayed on Tesco car park, never saw any parking signs, but ended up with a £30 fine. there was 2 of us and only got one fine(bargain). if we stayed on the Tesco car park again I'd cover the front No plate before going in...as that's what's on the photo.

we did walk around to check for signage, but couldn't see any.
Hi.
This is what i was lead to believe. " NO experience of it." If you go and ask the manager,its at their discretion wether you can park or not. However,,, The Car Parking areas in supermarkets are now run by outside agencies.
Would be glad of some RIGHT info on this. TIA.
Tea Bag.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back