Europe my basics food (1 Viewer)

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
Ok enjoy english mature cheddar - bacon and sausages being that it is not easily available abroad i'm stocking up for end of week trip down to spain - if i can keep frozen should last a few weeks although will run out

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
Ok enjoy english mature cheddar - bacon and sausages being that it is not easily available abroad i'm stocking up for end of week trip down to spain - if i can keep frozen should last a few weeks although will run out
chedder cheese and bacon will keep for months, ideally keep the cheese in a fridge ,but bacon if left in its packaging will keep well just in a cool place .
very often have still had bacon to eat at santander port after a winters travel.
i also take nice gammon and bacon joints . either boil or roast . or slice for gammon steaks . again keep really well if wrapped and in a cool place.
food in spain is getting dearer than uk these days so load up well. no point in wasting a few shillings .

Reactions: mfw
Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Believe it or not Chedder cheese, bacon and sausage are available throughout Spain and lots of Europe..Decent tea bags are not so easy to find but most other things are plentiful.BUSBY.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
yes chedder is for sale at two or three times the uk price.
danish style /uk bacon is not easy to find , i never have like spanish style bacon.
i like instant coffee and thats cheaper in uk.
but if you like spanish style then buy it in spain.
i do like spanish mortadela and buy lots of that .
bit like spam.
bring lots home for family and friends .
fry it chop it in cubes mixed with cooked veg . sliced in sarnies . or dipped in batter and fried .mmmmm

Deleted User
Spanish/Catalonian butifarra sausages, much better than any UK apart from possibly a good Cumberland.

French good quality sausages are excellent but expensive.

Cheddar cheese easily available in most Lidl's near where there are any Brit's and not really expensive.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
I remember, pre MH days we used to rent a villa for the winter about 30 mins inland from Gibraltar.
Bought a new 12 volt cool box that plugged into the car and took 10 kg of Lake District cheddar, made just down the road from us in Aspatria, Cumbria.
Arrived at the villa and put the cheese in the fridge.
Two weeks later decided it was time for a look into GiB for some fuel at Morrisons Called into the store for a look see and what were they selling?.... Lake District Cheddar.o_Oo_O

Incidentally, to OP, you can buy Irish cheddar in most Lidl's in Spain
Barry

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
The only things we take to France are English Breakfast and Darjeeling tea bags and marmalade. My wife makes the marmalade once a year and it's my preferred preserve with a fresh croissant. Otherwise we buy local fresh produce whenever available

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Find an 'Iceland'. All sorts of bacon /sausages available in there.
English Mature cheddar is far cheaper than Old Amsterdam .
7,50/kg in Iceland last time I was in. mercadona sell irish & some other cheddars. Carrefour also + marmite & bovril.

... is like gold dust abroad, and just as expensive.
Not around here & this is mainly a spanish area?
Incidentally, to OP, you can buy Irish cheddar in most Lidl's in Spain
& mercadona/carrefour. various irish beef cuts available in carrefours also, if that is what you want.

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
We always take YorkshireTea Bags, Tartare sauce, Branston Pickle, Gravy granules, Salad Cream, Marmite, Lurpak and Nescafe Espresso Coffee (instant).

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Can't abide Toulouse sausages too much salt in them and as for French bacon,, I can't think of anything nice to say about it.. Lol

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
,but bacon if left in its packaging will keep well just in a cool place .
Maybe if it's proper butchers cured bacon Al, but that shite you get at the UK supermarket in a rasher shaped plastic tray will push the fridge door open in two weeks to get out.
Hard cheese (chedder etc) I would keep for weeks in the fridge and just cut any mould off.
Soft/semi soft cheese I would eat by its use by at the very latest.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
In Poland we can get all of the things mentioned above, mostly from Lidl(200m away), but the bacon we buy from our delcatessen in hunks and slice it ourselves - it is delicious, same with sausages. And the delicatessan lady, who also sells fresh meat, will get us almost anything if we order it - and from excellent suppliers, never been disappointed.

Lamb is only available rarely, so we stock up with chops and leg in the freezer.

The only thing we bring back from UK is jars of Bovril - I am partial to it on hot buttered toast, but we also use it for sauces etc.

Prices in Poland for most things are less than UK by 10-20%. Same applies to eating out.

Geoff

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
Maybe if it's proper butchers cured bacon Al, but that shite you get at the UK supermarket in a rasher shaped plastic tray will push the fridge door open in two weeks to get out.
Hard cheese (chedder etc) I would keep for weeks in the fridge and just cut any mould off.
Soft/semi soft cheese I would eat by its use by at the very latest.
i buy bacon usually in packs rom asda or lidl. you want the tight sealed cryovac pacs .
yes it spits when cooked but take a few slices out today for tomorrow and let it dry its ok.
in the butchers shop we used to do that years ago.
i know after a winter in spain etc i very often cook bacon while in the ferry port waiting to come back. used to see forum members that cursed me still having bacon.
look for no trays tight pack and lots of them.
get cheese packed in similar packs as well. keeps for months . farm stores do nice cheese.
best buy it when its on special offer and save a shilling.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back