EU migrants add £5bn to UK, report says (1 Viewer)

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
This'll get the left and rights going. My take is it's probably right, you'll get more in a financial sense from an influx of immigrants but it's the very numbers that are causing problems within the housing market, the NHS and the education system.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Not sure how valuable this report is, given that the data is only up to 2011. Also, I note the comment "Immigration minister James Brokenshire said it had not taken account of the pressures on public services."

I've often said that we should welcome people who make a positive contribution to the UK so it's good to see that the overall picture is favourable. However, the figure is obviously a net one so provides no accurate data of how much better it might be if those whose contribution is negative had not been allowed to come.

The overall figure for UK natives for 1995-2011 is a bit frightening but indicates why so much borrowing has been required and how much it went out of control in that period.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Its OK while they are fit and at work but who will pay THEIR pensions and healthcare?
We could always let a few more million in to balance the books!

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I Dont believe a word of it ! the majority of any language that spouts from a politicians mouth is 99% BULLSH!T !
"The report was produced by University College London's Centre for Research and Analysis of Migration." - academics not politicians.

Still confidant in the 99% figure or do you want to change it to 100%? :D

OP
OP
PhilandMena
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Its OK while they are fit and at work but who will pay THEIR pensions and healthcare?
We could always let a few more million in to balance the books!
Well I guess they will in the same we that we do ? Their pension will be based on the amount of N.I. contributions, assuming you are referring to a state pension and not a private pension. As for healthcare , I would have thought they would be entitled to the same health care that any other tax payer would be entitled too. Or, perhaps we should treat them differently because they originate from another country ?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Why is everything reduced to a balance sheet..

There is more, much more to the quality of life than money ..same goes for a state.

Whether they contribute more or less to the economy doesn't change or negate the negative social impact they are having on schools, hospitals, housing, crime, roads etc..
This country is one of the most populated county in the World, yet this report is implying that immigration is a good thing we should welcome with open arms.. the more the better.

The people who benefit, ie the city fat cats and capitalists don't give a toss about the country. They only care about money and how much more it lines their pockets and fills the communal trough.

rant over.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
My earlier comment was directed at the smoke and mirrors which makes up UK economic policy.
We spend more than we earn as a country. Spin it all you like but that is the basic fact.
We don't need more taxpayers to swell our already overburdened Islands, we need an honest appraisal of how much we contribute and how much we receive back.
To carry on with our free healthcare and pensions we all need to understand we need to contribite more.
That means paying higher taxes and making those who dont pay tax become productive and pay tax.
Importing more taxpayers was only a short term solution.

As I said, smoke and mirrors!

Bartyfixedit

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 11, 2014
Maidstone Kent
Funster No
MH
Self Build Ducato L4H3
Exp
Since 1987
I Dont believe a word of it ! the majority of any language that spouts from a politicians mouth is 99% BULLSH!T !
Now come on, Don't be silly.

If they were to talk 99% Bullshit that would leave no room for the 85% Bare Faced Lies:D

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
yeah eu imigrants add 5bill to the country then they take 20bill back out again :)

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
Well it `s saved me money--
We used to go on foreign hols back in the 80`s to enjoy listening to the local language chit chat in the bars and streets.
Now I just stroll down any local street to hear the same lingo and see the European shops there.(y)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
A thought struck me watching people interviewed on TV just now. If so many of the migrants are such hard working successes with thriving businesses how come they have to come here and why are their own countries not so much more successful?

I guess it is that the people rolled out to give credence to the story are (as with most nations) a minority but simply find it easier to be successful here where a more advanced infrastructure exists.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back