EU.. 90 Days..Ireland .. Common Travel Area (1 Viewer)

Dec 2, 2013
West Yorks
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Back after a 3 year break.
I'm just wondering;.... If the new regulations mean that we can only visit the EU for 90 days in a 180 day period ... How will that affect visits to Ireland which is part of The Common Travel Area ? Will it be possible to visit continental EU for 90 days and then head straight over to Ireland or vice versa... put another way; Will time in Ireland count as part of the 90 day rule ? Any ideas ?

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Great question, and one I'd also like the answer too.

Would also like to know if there will be extra requirements taking my dog to N.I.?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Clipgate

Free Member
Jan 1, 2014
Folkestone
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
The common travel area predates the EU in fact it was agreed in 1922 from memory, it bestows far more rights than many area aware of, for instance no passport required, just a photo identification reciprocal rights of residence etc.
Thus no 90 day rule for UK citizens.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
The common travel area predates the EU in fact it was agreed in 1922 from memory, it bestows far more rights than many area aware of, for instance no passport required, just a photo identification reciprocal rights of residence etc.
Thus no 90 day rule for UK citizens.
Just make sure your photo ID has your home address on it !

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
I'm just wondering;.... If the new regulations mean that we can only visit the EU for 90 days in a 180 day period ... How will that affect visits to Ireland which is part of The Common Travel Area ? Will it be possible to visit continental EU for 90 days and then head straight over to Ireland or vice versa... put another way; Will time in Ireland count as part of the 90 day rule ? Any ideas ?
Ireland isn't in Schengen so don't see why existing rules would change - so your allowed 90 days there and then 90 days in Schengen

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Answer to pets here, rather a lot to take in, section 5 is the relevant one
Just a quick read, but it seemed that entering N.I. will be treated the same as entering the EU (pet wise)?

If so, not at all the same as here:

Guess it will all become clear(ish) soon :rollingeyes:

dipsie

Free Member
Jan 29, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
A/Trail V Line 635
Exp
26 years
Is Switzerland in the Schengen area, if not could you stay there for over 90 days ? That is if one could afford it.

EdwardFT

Free Member
Aug 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2010
Switzerland is in Schengen.

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
The Irish will check your address. Apparently a Pole, their most prolific law breaker, Prawo Jazdy, gave them the run around by having numerous addresses.

Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
Just a quick read, but it seemed that entering N.I. will be treated the same as entering the EU (pet wise)?

If so, not at all the same as here:

Guess it will all become clear(ish) soon :rollingeyes:
Found the quoted site after a friend in NI was worried about taking her dog over the border, thinking she might need a health certificate for every trip.

OP
OP
B
Dec 2, 2013
West Yorks
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Back after a 3 year break.
My original question was not about Northern Ireland, but about legal and pragmatic realities re. EU, 90 days and the Common Travel Area with the Republic of Ireland. Entering Ireland through N.I. would involve 100's of extra miles and mean no direct travel from/to mainland EU. from Ireland. Also would there be ANPR on the border roads that would register your visit.

Aug 28, 2017
Leicester
Funster No
MH
None at the mo.
My original question was not about Northern Ireland, but about legal and pragmatic realities re. EU, 90 days and the Common Travel Area with the Republic of Ireland. Entering Ireland through N.I. would involve 100's of extra miles and mean no direct travel from/to mainland EU. from Ireland. Also would there be ANPR on the border roads that would register your visit.
Who knows,all speculation at the mo ,nothing agreed until everything agreed :giggle:

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
I read that British Citizens can stay as long as they like in the Republic of Ireland . 👍
Just below the eu calaculator link.

So all us British Citizens ........... 😉 Spanish residents are sorted. 😁 Bob.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Great question, and one I'd also like the answer too.

Would also like to know if there will be extra requirements taking my dog to N.I.?

Answer to pets here, rather a lot to take in, section 5 is the relevant one
The document mentioned gives clear information that in addition to the AHC the worming treatment will need to be done too if you intend to take your furry friend from GB to NI or Ireland, something that has never been needed before.

In addition, prior to entry into Finland, Ireland, Northern Ireland, or Malta from Great Britain, pet dogs will have to be treated against Echinococcus multilocularis and this treatment must be attested by the official or authorised veterinarian in the animal health certificate.

Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
The document mentioned gives clear information that in addition to the AHC the worming treatment will need to be done too if you intend to take your furry friend from GB to NI or Ireland, something that has never been needed before.

In addition, prior to entry into Finland, Ireland, Northern Ireland, or Malta from Great Britain, pet dogs will have to be treated against Echinococcus multilocularis and this treatment must be attested by the official or authorised veterinarian in the animal health certificate.
I don’t understand why that should be necessary. It is not required for entry into the EU

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I don’t understand why that should be necessary. It is not required for entry into the EU
Agreed, but that's what it says ...

Dec 31, 2016
southampton
Funster No
MH
Hobby Toskana 750
Exp
Since 2019
I make no comment on the pros and cons of the ‘B’ word, but…when things settle down, I would be amazed if there isn’t something similar to the ‘long term tourist visa’ that’s available to US citizens? This applies to just one country and you need to prove you have sufficient savings etc, but surely Spain and Portugal will want to encourage UK citizens to stay in local campsites and spend money through the winter? They won’t make it that difficult. You would probably be able to apply based on your UK pension income.

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
I make no comment on the pros and cons of the ‘B’ word, but…when things settle down, I would be amazed if there isn’t something similar to the ‘long term tourist visa’ that’s available to US citizens? This applies to just one country and you need to prove you have sufficient savings etc, but surely Spain and Portugal will want to encourage UK citizens to stay in local campsites and spend money through the winter? They won’t make it that difficult. You would probably be able to apply based on your UK pension income.
we have fingers crossed🤞

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I agree, it would be extremely unlikely for their NOT to be something like this in place otherwise the UK would be being unfairly treated in relation to all other countries.

Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
I agree, it would be extremely unlikely for their NOT to be something like this in place otherwise the UK would be being unfairly treated in relation to all other countries.
All non EU countries are affected by the 90 days rule at the moment and quite a lot also need a Tourist visa, so the U.K. is just being treated the same.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
All non EU countries are affected by the 90 days rule at the moment and quite a lot also need a Tourist visa, so the U.K. is just being treated the same.
Yes I know, we weren't talking about the 90 days rule itself but about being able to extend your stay longer - other non-EU country travellers have the visa available to them so they can go into the EU for longer (obviously if they meet the criteria), which is what I believe will happen for UK travellers too, ie come in line with other non-EU countries - as we are still part of the EU it is something we don't need at present so may not yet 'exist' for us in the same way it does for others therefore will need to be included in the new rules.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back