EU.. 90 Days..Ireland .. Common Travel Area (1 Viewer)

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
I agree, it would be extremely unlikely for their NOT to be something like this in place otherwise the UK would be being unfairly treated in relation to all other countries.
Getting a visa for more than 90 days is no simple process. You have to apply for temporary residence.

Hopefully countries will look for reciprocal agreements with the UK and make the process easier, but as of 1st Jan we will be treated like all the other countries that are not in the EU

Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
Yes I know, we weren't talking about the 90 days rule itself but about being able to extend your stay longer - other non-EU country travellers have the visa available to them so they can go into the EU for longer (obviously if they meet the criteria), which is what I believe will happen for UK travellers too, ie come in line with other non-EU countries - as we are still part of the EU it is something we don't need at present so may not yet 'exist' for us in the same way it does for others therefore will need to be included in the new rules.
Where have you found the info re extending visas? From what I have found, tourism isn’t a reason for extending the 90 day rule.

Dec 17, 2018
Bonny Scotland
Funster No
MH
2020 Pilote P650GJ
Exp
Since 2005
All this and a great deal more (a truly massive amount more) should have been thrashed out and made public long before we voted in the referendum whether to leave Europe or not.
The whole thing's been done back to front and it's like sitting an important exam and then getting the lessons.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 31, 2016
southampton
Funster No
MH
Hobby Toskana 750
Exp
Since 2019
90 days is a lot - my longest holiday ever will be 3 weeks next summer, but i'm not retired yet. All i meant is that something similar to this will probably get introduced eventually. I dont think it will be all that difficult to apply. You might even be able to automatically re-apply after 12 months. You just cant work. But its all crystal ball stuff

Dec 31, 2016
southampton
Funster No
MH
Hobby Toskana 750
Exp
Since 2019
...although having said that you do need a passport, 2 * photos, an application form and an appointment at the embassy. You can then submit your application in person, pay the fee, provide finger prints and other supporting info, and sit and wait.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Where have you found the info re extending visas? From what I have found, tourism isn’t a reason for extending the 90 day rule.
See the link in Russ' post #35 above which gives the situation for France and states tourism as one of the long-stay categories:

1607991375205.png

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
Surely a bigger issue for most will be the requirement for a short stay tourist visa to go on holiday to the EU (once Covid allows). A reciprocal visa waiver agreement with the EU would need to be in place prior to 31st Dec otherwise we become the same as other non-EU countries and require a tourist visa. I may have missed it in the fog but I'm not aware that any agreement has been reached yet. As the whole point of Br... was to Take Back Control it seems odd that the UK would allow EU residents free movement into the UK.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
See the link in Russ' post #35 above which gives the situation for France and states tourism as one of the long-stay categories:

View attachment 448737

I think that information is not clear on two points

a) Is it only applying to those who require a visa anyway and not to those from countries that benefit from the visa-waiver?

b) What is meant by extended visa? Does it just mean 90 days which for some may seem an 'extended' holiday? Or does it mean an extension beyond the 90 days normally granted to visa-waiver beneficiaries?

Even if beyond the 90 days will it be a 'France Only' visa or will it permit travel in the rest of Schengen. If the latter I would wait to hearing from Schengen that it is so. If it is for 'France Only' I presume the days will still count towards the total of being in Schengen, thus if one entered and left Schengen via another country and stayed in France for >90 days, would one not be an 'overstayer' when one eventually left Schengen via the other country? With attendant consequences.

If the days did not count to Schengen 90 days one could tour Schengen countries for 90 days, then France on a visa for 90 days and back into Schengen.

It seems that a single country visa beyond 90 days will cause Schengen Area some real problems by breaching the 90 day rule to the extent it is voided, or Schengen has to stop any country granting such a >90 day visa.

Geoff

Dec 31, 2016
southampton
Funster No
MH
Hobby Toskana 750
Exp
Since 2019
After Jan 1st UK citizens can travel to Europe for up to 90 days in any 180 day period - that’s agreed.

As far as I can see the Extended Tourist Visa is the only option for stays longer than 90 days – for now. You can apply on Jan 1st for this visa because UK will be a non-EU country, and that’s who its designed for.

Reading the rules, you can stay in France for the whole 12 months, or travel to other shengen countries for a max of 90 days.

I guess Spain offers something similar? I would also imagine companies will pop up offering a ‘visa application service’ for this type of thing.

But, it’s certainly not guaranteed that an easier option will become available. We left the club. Why should France or any other country make it easier for UK than any other non-EU country to visit them?

For example do you think the Extended Tourist Visa will apply to all non EU countries like the US and Australia, but not the UK, because they like us so much?

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
All this and a great deal more (a truly massive amount more) should have been thrashed out and made public long before we voted in the referendum whether to leave Europe or not.
The whole thing's been done back to front and it's like sitting an important exam and then getting the lessons.
I agree. The whole referendum was a farce

How can you ask a question that 99% of the masses (and now it seems not even politicians) knew the answer to

At least you had the chance to vote unlike us crown dependants. We are stuck with it whatever and can't even blame ourselves! :lipssealed:

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
As the whole point of Br... was to Take Back Control it seems odd that the UK would allow EU residents free movement into the UK.
Those living in the UK already have there rights guaranteed under the Withdrawal agreement.
I guess Spain offers something similar?
Not to my knowledge ?

Dec 31, 2016
southampton
Funster No
MH
Hobby Toskana 750
Exp
Since 2019
i looked but i cant find one. France, Italy and Sweden offer long term tourist visas, so if you want to go in a motorhome, France is probably the only country thats feasible.

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
I have no idea?
All I can find is:

"the current proposals (for EU to continue with visa-waiver for short term visit prior to ETIAS) could change depending on the UK’s position regarding the rights of EU nationals. The UK Government has said that freedom of movement will end at the conclusion of the transition period. However, it has mooted a visa-free travel scheme for EU tourists which should ensure travel continues very similarly to how it does today"

If a no-deal happens then presumably whatever was mooted by the UK won't be agreed and we'll all need visas for short term visits from 1st Jan

Dec 31, 2016
southampton
Funster No
MH
Hobby Toskana 750
Exp
Since 2019
Different things are getting mixed up here.

If you are originally from e.g. Italy and you move to the UK before the end of the year, you can carry on living here under the terms of the withdrawal agreement.

But, the tourist visa thing is totally separate. I believe that even in a no deal situation, UK tourists can visit the EU for up to 90 days – we can take part in their ‘schengen visa scheme'. And they can visit the UK in the same way.

We will be lucky enough to get a Shengen visa on arrival – some nationalities have to apply for one before they arrive.

The question is, how do you stay longer than 90 days? I don’t see any way to ‘extend a shengen visa’. The only option I can see (and I’m no expert) is to apply for a long-term tourist visa – which is totally different to a shengen visa.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Different things are getting mixed up here.

If you are originally from e.g. Italy and you move to the UK before the end of the year, you can carry on living here under the terms of the withdrawal agreement.

But, the tourist visa thing is totally separate. I believe that even in a no deal situation, UK tourists can visit the EU for up to 90 days – we can take part in their ‘schengen visa scheme'. And they can visit the UK in the same way.

We will be lucky enough to get a Shengen visa on arrival – some nationalities have to apply for one before they arrive.

The question is, how do you stay longer than 90 days? I don’t see any way to ‘extend a shengen visa’. The only option I can see (and I’m no expert) is to apply for a long-term tourist visa – which is totally different to a shengen visa.
Not sure about what you call a "Schengen visa". Are you referring to their equivalent of the USA's ESTA, which will be coming in soon? If so we would have still required that to travel in the Schengen zone even if the UK had stayed in the EU, and, as I understand it, we need to have it before we enter the zone, just as you do with an ESTA in the USA.

As you say there is a lot of confusion about what the EU requires and what the Schengen zone countries require.

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
Not sure about what you call a "Schengen visa". Are you referring to their equivalent of the USA's ESTA, which will be coming in soon? If so we would have still required that to travel in the Schengen zone even if the UK had stayed in the EU, and, as I understand it, we need to have it before we enter the zone, just as you do with an ESTA in the USA.

As you say there is a lot of confusion about what the EU requires and what the Schengen zone countries require.
Good point

Is it an EU visa or a Schengen visa? They are different things

Oct 14, 2018
Nantwich, Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G781C Emotion
Exp
Caravanning over 30 years, Motorhoming 16 months
I believe that the situation is exactly as described, ie a resiprical arrangement between the UK and Eire is in place. The thing that we do not know is if that will continue or change as a result of the political tinkering with regard to Breit and the Northern Ireland protocol, which is apparently on again now. We shall have to wait and see.

Apr 2, 2011
south essex Benfleet
Funster No
MH
CarthagoM liner.
Exp
since 1986 & tugger before
Strange you say that. You are the first person I have heard say that, I said the same thing the day of the vote!!!!

Dec 31, 2016
southampton
Funster No
MH
Hobby Toskana 750
Exp
Since 2019
Good point

Is it an EU visa or a Schengen visa? They are different things
well, i dont want to pretend i'm some kind of visa expert...i just think that the 'standard' 90 day in 180 day 'schengen situation' is different to the Long Term Tourist Visa, because the 2nd allows you to stay in France for 360-90 days = 270 days, plus you can go to other EU countries for the remaining 90 days. But maybe other countries will offer something similar when things settle down. Have to wait and see I guess.

EdwardFT

Free Member
Aug 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2010
The "90 days out of 180" rule that is often mentioned is a rule for Schengen, not the E.U. Keep8ngnthat fact in mind will often help to answer some questions.

Jan 22, 2020
East Mids
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
The "90 days out of 180" rule that is often mentioned is a rule for Schengen, not the E.U. Keep8ngnthat fact in mind will often help to answer some questions.
The Schengen area comprises 22 EU states and out of the remaining five EU members, four (Bulgaria, Romania, Croatia, Cyprus) are legally obliged to join in future. Ireland maintains an opt-out linked to its wish to continue to participate in a common travel area with the UK.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Can't we just ask those who' knew what they were voting for?'

No one there to ask then.............!!
You can ask but as we are not permitted to get all political about it, best to avoid asking the question in the first place!

Apr 2, 2011
south essex Benfleet
Funster No
MH
CarthagoM liner.
Exp
since 1986 & tugger before
I have just seen on DEFRA site, we need a AHC to take dogs to North and Southern Ireland. Comments please or have I missed this news? Bruce

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I have just seen on DEFRA site, we need a AHC to take dogs to North and Southern Ireland. Comments please or have I missed this news? Bruce
There are quite a few threads on here covering it, but yes you do need it for both Northern Ireland and Eire along with the worming treatment.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back