LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
When you make pastry it has to be "rested" in the fridge before rolling it out.
Couverture chocolate has to be "tempered" to make sure it has a good shine and snap.
When making a cake you beat the butter and sugar together until fluffy and then the eggs but fold in the flour so as not to lose the air or overwork the flour.
Turning over pancakes in a frying pan is called tossing if you flip them up in the air without using any implement or utensil.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
I was the butt of a joke in France when I was 16 and staying with a French family. After enjoying my first salad of Dandelion leaves with a dressing I was asked "aimez vous pis en lit?" Of course I knew that it meant "did I like to wet the bed?" But hadn't a clue that it also meant did I like the dandelion salad! I was very red faced and embarrassed!

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Can you explain? must be something I never heard of.... "came jeelie? Piece's" ??? Ta!
I think 'jollyrodger' meant Jelly, jelly can be sweet as in Raspberry/Strawberry etc. or savoury (salted) as in the juices from a cooked meat-when the juice cools it 'jellyfies'!

JohnH

Free Member
Jan 5, 2009
Southport
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
+14
We saute things or heat them in a bain rouge until they are al dente

We just nick other peoples words..

I was trying to think of the reply but someone beat me to it. We do have some original cooking words but most of our words are plagurised (stolen) from others. In cookery we generally use French words. There are exceptions of course. We "fry" bacon but we "sauté" onions but if you got them wrong to a native English speaker they would understand. We do not have the same problem that the French have which is that the word must be perfectly correct. The English speaker will shrug their shoulders, smile and understand.
So the first lesson should be, if in doubt use a simple French word and it will probably suffice.
Good luck with your venture.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
yodeli
Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Does this mean "Savoury"?
That's what I have been told!

I enjoy to see all these new words!

I've learnt some others on books .
I'm sure I'll have more questions after a few courses.
On another thread on FUN I've learnt "Culinary delights"!

When we put fresh cream in a soup as it makes it softer (not as strong as when plain, especially if you have strong flavours in it like leak or turnip or broccolis or even cabbage) we call it "velouté"... I wonder what you call it.

JohnH

Free Member
Jan 5, 2009
Southport
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
+14
When we put fresh cream in a soup as it makes it softer (not as strong as when plain, especially if you have strong flavours in it like leak or turnip or broccolis or even cabbage) we call it "velouté"... I wonder what you call it.

If I was describing the above to my grandchildren I would say that I am adding cream to "soften" the flavour of the soup. Do not know if it is the correct term but they would understand the meaning.

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
If I was describing the above to my grandchildren I would say that I am adding cream to "soften" the flavour of the soup. Do not know if it is the correct term but they would understand the meaning.

It's just cream of I think.. cream of tomato, cream of mushroom etc etc

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
Errrr.... No , not exactly, not to you English .... Only to French who want to learn: 1) how to cook French dishes (and also blackfoot ones) and 2): who want to practice their English.
It's not on a forum , it's for real in my kitchen!
Are you open to teach small groups of English in the next school holidays ?:reel:

OP
OP
yodeli
Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Good luck with your cooking lessons! Are you going to teach them how to cook Rosh Hashanah, then maybe Simha Torah or Shavuot. Tasty!!
Sue.

Errr....Wot???o_O:confused:
BTW .... You forgot me! I still have no answer to my PM ! So home? On your way?:whistle:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
JUS !!!.........theres no such thing as JUS.

its another word for gravy invented by a chef who though too much of himself. (Most do)

It is GRAVY......may be thick, may be thin, may not even be meat based....but its just GRAVY.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Good luck with your cooking lessons! Are you going to teach them how to cook Rosh Hashanah, then maybe Simha Torah or Shavuot. Tasty!!
Sue.

I thought a more typically English dish would be chicken tikka masala and pilau rice, meself !

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back