Emptying unused fresh water on site. (1 Viewer)

Aug 14, 2019
Wilmslow, UK
Funster No
MH
2020 Bessacarr 597
Exp
On site a while back the chap on the next pitch to me, before setting off, opened up his freshwater drain and let the water drain out onto the pitch. I’ve not drained my unused fresh water onto the pitch before as I just empty both tanks at the service point before leaving as it’s only a few minutes job. I also don’t want to leave a soggy pitch for the next arrival. So emptying unused fresh water onto the pitch before leaving. Thoughts?

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
I would always leave some water in the tank for emergencies.
For example radiator leak. Breakdown you would need a cuppa. And a wash and clean your teeth.

I t don’t make sense

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

dryad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2010
hermit in beautiful coastal east kent
Funster No
MH
citroen relay pvc
Exp
quite a few years now, and loving every minute..
These Folk who are upset by a bit of fresh water...

... quite mystifying.

JJ :cool:

i love fresh water JJ, as vital as the air we breathe, but as i said in a previous post which i shall copy and paste below..

dumping any water, fresh or grey onto a pitch is thoughtless and blessed selfish for the next occupant..
have had it happen to me, got out of the cab and went arse over tit slipping on the wet grass which i wasn't expecting being a beautiful dry summer day, thankfully no damage to me that time, but it could have been had i not landed on a well cushioned part of my anatomy..

had i sprained an ankle, broken a leg or hip, would have been totally stuffed being a solo traveller, i hope to goodness that you never slip or slide over on anything you weren't expecting to be there, take care m'dear..

Upvote 0
Nov 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Challenger 287GA
Exp
Since 2020
Luckily I rarely use sites and even more rarely the regimented, bumper against the peg type that some are describing. What on earth do you do if it rains? Surely that rain should just bugger off and make some more appropriate place wet than the pristine, mown grass pitches. What if someone wants to pitch up there and it's, God forbid....wet?!

Upvote 0

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
These Folk who are upset by a bit of fresh water...

... quite mystifying.

JJ :cool:
Still pathetic reasoning, your just sh1t stirring as usual but hey ho if you’ve nothing better to do.

Upvote 0

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Currently on a farm site on the east coast and the owner has asked us to release any water onto pitch as they haven’t had rain in a month. His view is grey water will not do any damage as it’s only washing up Liquid and water.
Yes we’re at Jim’s and he asks to water the bushes with it, not drop it on the pitch though.

Upvote 0
Feb 20, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
Tugger now Motorhome
Emptying 50 litres of water underneath the van on a gravel hardstanding is a} going to reduce payload by 50kgs and b} going to evaporate or sink into the ground long before anyone gets onto that same site. Most sites require vacation by 11:00 am and occupancy only after 14:00 - plenty of time for that horribly slippery water to evaporate/dissipate and cease to be a trip hazard.

Honestly are there not greater things to worry about especially in a country with reasonably sustainable rainfall?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Steve N Tracy

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 Years
Was it a MH or a caravan and are you sure it was the fresh water being drained? Most caravanners empty their hot water before leaving a site.
Why? Never heard that before.
I take it you never had a caravan? It is important to get the nose weight on the towbar correct for safety, so you drain the hot water to make sure the nose weight is not too high if the hot water tank is forward of the axle, and not too light if behind the rear axle.

Upvote 0
Mar 18, 2015
Burrough on the Hill, Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 886f
Exp
Since 2014
It all depends on the site. If they don't have a dump point what do you do? (neither of the sites I used last weekend had a dump point)

I try (usually successfully) to have used all bar 20L by packing up time. I've stayed on several where they suggested the grey water was run it into the hedgerow (as happened this weekend). Another site owner when asked where to dump a drop of clean water said "right where you are it will have soaked away in 10 minutes and do the grass good!"

Best option is to ask before dumping anything.

ps Tent campers leave pitches in far worse conditions than I've ever seen a Motorhome or caravan do.

Upvote 0

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
It all depends on the site. If they don't have a dump point what do you do? (neither of the sites I used last weekend had a dump point)

I try (usually successfully) to have used all bar 20L by packing up time. I've stayed on several where they suggested the grey water was run it into the hedgerow (as happened this weekend). Another site owner when asked where to dump a drop of clean water said "right where you are it will have soaked away in 10 minutes and do the grass good!"

Best option is to ask before dumping anything.

ps Tent campers leave pitches in far worse conditions than I've ever seen a Motorhome or caravan do.
When I was young and camped in tents, we were meticulous about how we left our patch. But a lot of tenters don't seem to bother now.... Just neatly pile up their rubbish and consider job done. :(

Upvote 0

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Was it a MH or a caravan and are you sure it was the fresh water being drained? Most caravanners empty their hot water before leaving a site.
When we used a caravan, we drained the hot water into the grey water container and poured it down the drainage point.Kept the container fresh!

Steve

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Currently on a farm site on the east coast and the owner has asked us to release any water onto pitch as they haven’t had rain in a month. His view is grey water will not do any damage as it’s only washing up Liquid and water.
Indeed. During that long drought in the 70's we were advised to use bath and sink water for our gardens. My runner beans loved it.

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
In 8 years I have never emptied my fresh water tank, we don’t drink it, never felt the need to empty it

feeling like the odd man out 🤔👍
You are not the odd one out, would never have dreamed people empty water out anywhere, :unsure: can't really see in any of the posts any good reason.
The caravan leveling comes close but can't see a bucket full of water making much difference.
So come on, all you emptyers tell us why you go to the trouble of filling up just to let it out on the ground.:doh::doh:

Upvote 0
Nov 3, 2020
Up the Hamble
Funster No
MH
Ace Siena
Exp
Since 2019
In a small way, this post sums up the motorhome "community" quite well (IMO). There are a good number of considerate and careful "funsters" capable of thinking through the issues and taking a broader, more empathic view of life, a fair sprinkling of "not sures" and a handful of selfish self entitled people who seem to think that motor homing is a licence to do exactly as they please and tough if you don't like it. Pretty much a microcosm of society in general so maybe it's not surprising or unexpected.

Upvote 0

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Reading through, I see a mistake that mentioned may clarify.
-50lt of water - clean or fresh - released from a single exit point on a caravan or Motorhome is NOT going to produce the resist of a rain shower 👍🏻

Upvote 0
Feb 20, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
Tugger now Motorhome
Hi
In a small way, this post sums up the motorhome "community" quite well (IMO). There are a good number of considerate and careful "funsters" capable of thinking through the issues and taking a broader, more empathic view of life, a fair sprinkling of "not sures" and a handful of selfish self entitled people who seem to think that motor homing is a licence to do exactly as they please and tough if you don't like it. Pretty much a microcosm of society in general so maybe it's not surprising or unexpected.
OR

Responsible 3500kg van owners don't want to arrive or leave a site overweight because they are carrying too much water. These responsible 3500kg van owners will attempt to run down their tanks to a level where they can dump the small amount remaining before leaving the site without causing a tsunami.

It is very easy to be "Holier than Thou" behind a keyboard.

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Hi

OR

Responsible 3500kg van owners don't want to arrive or leave a site overweight because they are carrying too much water. These responsible 3500kg van owners will attempt to run down their tanks to a level where they can dump the small amount remaining before leaving the site without causing a tsunami.

If a full water tank puts a van over weight it really isn't fit for purpose, we have 100 ltrs in the tank and two 20 ltr drums full of water on board in our 3500 ex ambulance, when we set off from any site that has water and with everything else on board still only weigh 3350.

Upvote 0

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010

Your have certainly proved that point with that comment. (y) :giggle:

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
In my humble opinion a full water tank is the most important thing you need in a motorhome, you can pretty much manage without all the other things, gas, electric, WiFi, TV, anything but you are shot if you can't find an Aire with water.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We only empty our tank once we get home, run out a couple of times it's horrible when you run out of water.
We empty when we get home because the chlorine purification in tap water only lasts a few days and we don't want to be drinking water that may have impurities in it.

Upvote 0
Nov 3, 2020
Up the Hamble
Funster No
MH
Ace Siena
Exp
Since 2019
Hi

OR

Indeed.

Upvote 0
Apr 11, 2017
Earby, Lancashire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autocruse Select 144
Exp
started Oct. 2016
When I set off I partial fill the fresh water just in case. I fill on site with as much as I think I will use. When I get home I open the drain rather than let the water stand.

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
When I set off I partial fill the fresh water just in case. I fill on site with as much as I think I will use. When I get home I open the drain rather than let the water stand.

Pretty much what we do. We fill the water with a watering can when necessary and also have tap water in bottles for drinking etc. It's too easy to switch a tap on by accident and have the pump burn out if there is no water in the tank - we can hear the water running but only smell the pump burn out when it is too late. Usually we switch the water pump off but so easy to forget if you've stopped for the loo or to wash your hands en-route.

I would not dump water on a pitch - we do dump it when we get home as part of the clean down routine. Our drive is gravel and the MH is at the top end. Tend to let the water out as a dribble rather than a flood as the gravel does was away even with the retaining grids.

Upvote 0

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Lucky bugger having excess water, i'd be celebrating if i had that amount in my tank with our lot around.

After about 2 stops and several hundred cups of tea it would soon be gone :giggle:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back