Emptying unused fresh water on site. (1 Viewer)

Aug 14, 2019
Wilmslow, UK
Funster No
MH
2020 Bessacarr 597
Exp
On site a while back the chap on the next pitch to me, before setting off, opened up his freshwater drain and let the water drain out onto the pitch. I’ve not drained my unused fresh water onto the pitch before as I just empty both tanks at the service point before leaving as it’s only a few minutes job. I also don’t want to leave a soggy pitch for the next arrival. So emptying unused fresh water onto the pitch before leaving. Thoughts?

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
On site a while back the chap on the next pitch to me, before setting off, opened up his freshwater drain and let the water drain out onto the pitch. I’ve not drained my unused fresh water onto the pitch before as I just empty both tanks at the service point before leaving as it’s only a few minutes job. I also don’t want to leave a soggy pitch for the next arrival. So emptying unused fresh water onto the pitch before leaving. Thoughts?
Various takes on this on here, personally I would never let any out after taking the trouble to fill it, if possible we always travel full and grey and black empty we are then setup for three days without needing services.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I use it to water the garden when I get home same with grey waste if there is any in the tank.

If a wild spot it wouldn't worry me but I don't think it's on if you are on a site pitch you should be considerate for the next user.

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2014
Opposite the Needles
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
14 years
Why empty the fresh water at all? I only empty mine when there's a danger of frost. People worry about whether water is drinkable from various sources etc. but I have followed my topping up approach while travelling throughout Europe over 20 countries without any problems. All EU countries have to comply with the same standards for drinking water so there's no problem that I have found.

I did experience a problem when I was in Morocco, despite drinking, I thought (!) only bottled water; I probably inadvertently cleaned my teeth with water from the tank and had a stomach upset for a few days.

As to the theory that you waste fuel by travelling with full tanks, while this must be true, due to every journey being different anyway I've never noticed any measurable difference that a 5% variation in total weight of the loaded vehicle makes to fuel consumption - though to be fair I don't monitor the fuel consumption much.

Upvote 0
Feb 20, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
Tugger now Motorhome
If you've got a 3500kg van your probably sailing close to the wind weight wise so dumping all the grey waste (in the right facility) and dumping anything up to 100kgs of fresh water before you set off makes sense but just time it so you end up with as little as possible in the tank to waste?

Upvote 0
Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
Was it a MH or a caravan and are you sure it was the fresh water being drained? Most caravanners empty their hot water before leaving a site.

Upvote 0

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Never.
I do that as well. If it’s so wet as to cause an issue, I wouldn’t be parked there in the first place.
Terrible attitude, why would you think that’s acceptable? What if their door opened onto the soggy patch you just left?

Upvote 0

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
I'll travel back away from site with some water, probably 25% or so, whatever is left over. If I were to get stuck on the way back, even in a lengthy traffic jam, I'd be able to have a brew, use the toilet or whatever.

If I were to be draining off any excess fresh whilst on site, I'd be doing that at the same time as trying to dump the grey water, hopefully a service point on the site to drive over.

Upvote 0

dryad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2010
hermit in beautiful coastal east kent
Funster No
MH
citroen relay pvc
Exp
quite a few years now, and loving every minute..

dumping any water, fresh or grey onto a pitch is thoughtless and blessed selfish for the next occupant..
have had it happen to me, got out of the cab and went arse over tit slipping on the wet grass which i wasn't expecting being a beautiful dry summer day, thankfully no damage to me that time, but it could have been had i not landed on a well cushioned part of my anatomy..

Upvote 0
Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Thoughts?

He was a tosser.

Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2020
Uranus
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 185
Exp
Why? Never heard that before.
The suspension on a lot of caravans is rather fragile. If you're next on a site, have a look at some of the caravans' wheels, you'll notice a few with collapsed suspension; the top third of the wheel hidden by the wheel arch. Also, some caravans go straight into storage.

Upvote 0

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
The suspension on a lot of caravans is rather fragile. If you're next on a site, have a look at some of the caravans' wheels, you'll notice a few with collapsed suspension; the top third of the wheel hidden by the wheel arch. Also, some caravans go straight into storage.
As I said but not on the pitch, find a drain to drop it into 👍

Upvote 0
Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
The only reason I can think for doing this is that you arrive on site at maximum permissible weight with an empty water tank so have to dump water so as not to be overweight going home.
That is one reason, plus as someone else has said, van going straight into storage. Most don’t dump it all on the pitch but let it trickle out as they drive off.

Upvote 0

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Water falls down from the sky sometimes...

Some of it lands on the ground.

Some of that ground might be the pitch you have left.

I'm pretty sure it drains away...

Without water there is nothing.

The most vital liquid on earth.

JJ :cool:
Pathetic reasoning. So 50/60 ltrs or more water where someone is expecting dry ground is ok? I just hope I never follow you or the op onto a pitch

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Pathetic reasoning. So 50/60 or more water where someone is expecting dry ground is ok? I just hope I never follow you or the op onto a pitch

A tad harsh surely?

...and rest assured you will never, ever, ever, ever follow me onto a pitch.

I don't go on the sort of "pitches" you would stay on. :rofl:

JJ :cool:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back