Emptying unused fresh water on site. (1 Viewer)

Aug 14, 2019
Wilmslow, UK
Funster No
MH
2020 Bessacarr 597
Exp
On site a while back the chap on the next pitch to me, before setting off, opened up his freshwater drain and let the water drain out onto the pitch. I’ve not drained my unused fresh water onto the pitch before as I just empty both tanks at the service point before leaving as it’s only a few minutes job. I also don’t want to leave a soggy pitch for the next arrival. So emptying unused fresh water onto the pitch before leaving. Thoughts?

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Pretty much what we do. We fill the water with a watering can when necessary and also have tap water in bottles for drinking etc. It's too easy to switch a tap on by accident and have the pump burn out if there is no water in the tank - we can hear the water running but only smell the pump burn out when it is too late. Usually we switch the water pump off but so easy to forget if you've stopped for the loo or to wash your hands en-route.

I would not dump water on a pitch - we do dump it when we get home as part of the clean down routine. Our drive is gravel and the MH is at the top end. Tend to let the water out as a dribble rather than a flood as the gravel does was away even with the retaining grids.
Yeah I use a watering can mostly, if you fill up everyday it only needs a couple, then we know we can always go three days.
Plus you don't want to have to get rid of the air again if it runs dry.
As I said we also carry two 20 ltr drums in reserve but don't very often use them.
Last time in France we stayed on the beach in canet plage and stayed for three days and as we didn't want to lose our place we didn't move and as there was no water near we emptyed the drums in the tank before we ran out.
Then filled everything at the next place.

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Everyone finds the way of working that suits them.

Actually we've never emptied the clean water tank on a pitch at all but it's something to consider in case we ever need to.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
This is a discussion about clean water draining but I was shocked by the antics of a fellow Motorhomer.
The CAMC site at Hurn Lane has drive over drains.
This guy gets a few feet past the exit barrier but still on the site, then opens his drains and drives off with them open.
He is then dumping grey along the country Lane. 🤬

Upvote 0

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
Well, and I thought I was doing my best before I read this thread. I even thought I might pick up a few good hints.
What do I do now? Before leaving I load in about 20 litres, enough to run the toilet and cater for a couple of stops if a longish journey. Filling on site, I try to put only enough in to use on that site. Where a service point is available I empty waste and fresh over that. Where none is available the waste master takes grey to whatever point the site requires, from official points to hedgerows - and fresh in those circumstances can be drained the same way.
It now looks as though what I am doing is of no use as my vehicle and how we use it and what we carry is not fit for purpose.
Does that mean I can now only use certain types of vehicle in a certain way to conform?
I was fortunate enough until a couple of years ago to have a C1, in fact I still have it but it will go in August as I don’t want to be restricted to where I can travel if DVLA again take months to sort my medical conditions (which my own GP says are not a problem for an ordinary licence but are for a C1). So our last change was to 3.5 ton, but with much less available payload. We did our sums, and subsequent weighing prior to leaving for a long trip left us about 40Kg spare with 20l fresh on board.
It appears my vehicle does not conform and is not fit for purpose, will I be able to attend fun meets in future or do I have to change to something totally unsuitable to our personal needs?

Upvote 0
Jan 6, 2017
East Devon
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morocco XL
Exp
since 2014
Always try to keep my fresh water tank as full as possible. We rarely use 'sites' and so fresh water is our most precious commodity.

We will only empty if the van is going to be stored and there's any risk of freezing.

We don't drink from our tank - we just prefer not to, and any fuel consumption considerations I live with. 110 kg isn't the end of the world in that respect.

We empty grey whenever it's possible, and we only use biodegradable soaps and washing up liquids, but even so we are always careful where we empty - probably more out of concern for other peoples perception, as there's not likely to be anything terribly unpleasant or damaging to the environment in our grey tank.

As always, this is what works for us. Running out of power and water run each other close for inconvenience in our minds!

Upvote 0
Feb 20, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
Tugger now Motorhome
Well, and I thought I was doing my best before I read this thread. I even thought I might pick up a few good hints.
What do I do now? Before leaving I load in about 20 litres, enough to run the toilet and cater for a couple of stops if a longish journey. Filling on site, I try to put only enough in to use on that site. Where a service point is available I empty waste and fresh over that. Where none is available the waste master takes We did our sums, and subsequent weighing prior to leaving for a long trip left us about 40Kg spare with 20l fresh on board.
It appears my vehicle does not conform and is not fit for purpose, will I be able to attend fun meets in future or do I have to change to something totally unsuitable to our personal needs?
I think I detected a certain amount of irony in your post. You could atone for your blatent water wastage because or your "not fit for purpose" Motorhome by drinking less water at home, taking showers rather than baths and not leaving the site you are on without drinking all the water you have left in your tanks.

P.S never drain down in winter without first seeking advice on the morality of it here.

Upvote 0

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
We never empty fresh water, what a waste that would be. Anyway, we want some fresh water in the tank for our onward journey, doesn't everyone?

Upvote 0
Feb 19, 2020
North Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670SC
Exp
Currently on a farm site on the east coast and the owner has asked us to release any water onto pitch as they haven’t had rain in a month. His view is grey water will not do any damage as it’s only washing up Liquid and water.
I've been asked to do that on a grass pitch as well

Upvote 0

GBon

Free Member
Sep 9, 2020
Funster No
MH
Autoquest dreamstar
Exp
Since September 2020
We take drinking water with us, fill the tank at the site and only use the tank water for ablutions, dish washing etc if there is a small amount of water left in the tank it is emptied at home. We had been caravanning for 20 years prior to getting the motorhome and have always left a pitch the same way we would like to find it.

Upvote 0

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Took Brunhilde Burstner for her maiden voyage today, but just a wee jaunt after the fridge problems on Wednesday, to test as many of the systems as possible. Added 30 Litres or so of fresh water [Gauge said we had 3/4 tank of fresh!] and distributed it via the toilet cassette after several cups of coffee, and to the waste water tank after washing up + repeated hand washing. I expected about 10 litres of grey water but we emptied 5 x 9 litre bowlfuls onto the bone dry shrubs and bushes! Perhaps the Dealership Technicians were carried away testing the Tanks when testing the previously faulty gauges!
Fresh water retained for our next jaunt, possibly early next week. Another lunch overlooking the beach ... Looked lovely from inside the cab but blew the cobwebs away with a fair bit of white cap waves on the Forth!

Steve & Elaine

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back