Electrical socket that looks like a small cig lighter socket? (1 Viewer)

Simon

Free Member
Aug 29, 2014
Ramsgate, Kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 600
Exp
First year under our belt!
Hi!

On one of the sides in our Kon-tiki is a normal UK 3 pin plug socket and next to it is a small circular socket that looks like a cigarette lighter socket, but smaller - about 13mm in diameter.

Can someone please tell me what the socket is called, and what's available to fit it?

We're not intending to hook up to the mains too often when we're out and about so if we could get an adapter to fit the socket (I assume it has to be 12v) that will charge our phones from the battery, for example, it would be a great help.

I already have a cig lighter socket with a USB port that I'm thinking of plugging a USB hub into, but more USB ports wouldn't hurt as this round socket is in a more convenient location than the dashboard.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I t sounds like a "hella" fitting.. loads of plugs and adaptors on ebay..
This type is used a lot on trucks, motorbikes and often in continental vans..

Broken Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
It is a Hella socket. When purchasing plugs make sure they are genuine Hella as there are a lot of Chinese copies about with tin contacts plated with brass. They get hot through poor contact.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Simon

Simon

Free Member
Aug 29, 2014
Ramsgate, Kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 600
Exp
Thanks all, that's the one. I was hoping there would be a big range of superduper accessories to plug into it. I'll go a-searching now I know what it's called. Can't find a mention of it in the book we got with the motorhome!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Simon

Simon

Free Member
Aug 29, 2014
Ramsgate, Kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 600
Exp

Broken Link Removed

Hmmm... I can't find much that goes in there really. I was hoping for more. Have you found many uses for it?

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Hmmm... I can't find much that goes in there really. I was hoping for more. Have you found many uses for it?

If you don't fit the appropriate DIN plug on your gadgets, or can't in the case of chargers you buy a converter DIN plug to cigarette socket.

Upvote 0
Apr 9, 2013
Ayr
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Thanks all, that's the one. I was hoping there would be a big range of superduper accessories to plug into it. I'll go a-searching now I know what it's called. Can't find a mention of it in the book we got with the motorhome!

You probably won't find that many 12V appliances in the UK already wired with DIN plugs, you'll have to fit the plugs yourself. I believe that they are more reliable than standard 12V "cigarette lighter" style sockets and plugs (which are pretty awful).

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Simon

Simon

Free Member
Aug 29, 2014
Ramsgate, Kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 600
Exp
You probably won't find that many 12V appliances in the UK already wired with DIN plugs, you'll have to fit the plugs yourself. I believe that they are more reliable than standard 12V "cigarette lighter" style sockets and plugs (which are pretty awful).

Cig. lighter plugs are often terrible things; it's rare to find one that fits properly without wiggling out due to vibration. I've found that my bluetooth headset adapter is really good but I was hoping the DIN socket would be utilised more than it appears to be. Oh well, I'll have to look into it further.

Upvote 0

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I use Hella plugs and sockets for most high power 12 volt items ie, macerator, 12 volt beer fridge, 12volt laptop charger, 12 volt tyre pump, auxiliary fuel tank pump. Cigarette lighter sockets and plugs are just not up to the job.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hella plugs are far superior to cig lighter sockets on two points.

generally rated at 16amps, regular cig sockets are usually 10amps, and unlike cig sockets which rely on friction to hold the plug in, hella use a positive click lock system so making a far better connection

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Simon

Simon

Free Member
Aug 29, 2014
Ramsgate, Kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 600
Exp
Hella plugs are far superior to cig lighter sockets on two points.

generally rated at 16amps, regular cig sockets are usually 10amps, and unlike cig sockets which rely on friction to hold the plug in, hella use a positive click lock system so making a far better connection

I'm just wondering where the adapters are that have USB ports, micro-USB charging ports, and outputs to charge laptops?

Upvote 0

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.

Broken Link Removed

"Hells type" at ÂŁ9.30 for three. Beware cheap copies of a high quality item.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back