Mar 31, 2018
Bath, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria
Exp
Since 2017
Morning all,

It appears that current A Frame systems are not capable of having an EV as a tow car.

What do people think. If a system was available, would an EV be an option?

It certainly would for us.

Should I spend time looking at a solution or is it just me????

Thanks
BigDean.

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
I may be wrong and am sure someone will correct me but EV is not an option as they cannot be towed or so it says in my hand book, recovery by trailer if broken down

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
I may be wrong and am sure someone will correct me but EV is not an option as they cannot be towed or so it says in my hand book, recovery by trailer if broken down
Is that because they can't freewheel?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
B

BigDean

Free Member
Mar 31, 2018
Bath, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria
Exp
Since 2017
Currently does not seem to be possible.

I am happy to speak with the manufacturers and see what the limitation is and if there is a possible solution, but only if there is more interest than just me!

Thanks

OP
OP
B

BigDean

Free Member
Mar 31, 2018
Bath, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria
Exp
Since 2017
From the EV point I have at my house in the UK, the EV point I have at my house in Europe that I base myself from when touring, and from the many supermarkets, "petrol" stations & thousands of other EV outlets available in the UK and Europe.

I understand there is range anxiety from some, but that is of no concern to me. The fact I can "fill up" every night when at home for next to no cost is far more convenient that stopping for fuel. And when on the road, I am not in that much of a rush that I cant wait 30 minutes or so to charge to 80%. I take that long when filling up the motorhome, taking a break and making a cuppa.

Don't get me wrong, I still have petrol/diesel engines in some of my vehicles, but for me personally the natural evolution for me is to tow an EV. I will switch to alternative power for each when it is feasible to do so.

My question was simply if anyone else would want to tow an EV on an A Frame?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I suppose one of the questions is, even if you could somehow tow an EV car fitted with an A-frame where realistically could you use it? With countries banning this practice in the EU (ie one vehicle towing another) it could become a bit of a white elephant that you could only use in the UK. I'm not going to go into the legalities of whether it becomes a trailer as that's not the issue abroad and at present the UK hasn't mandated against this.

When I first read this I though you were asking about an EV powered car towing another car, not the EV powered car being the toad.

OP
OP
B

BigDean

Free Member
Mar 31, 2018
Bath, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria
Exp
Since 2017
I suppose one of the questions is, even if you could somehow tow an EV car fitted with an A-frame where realistically could you use it? With countries banning this practice in the EU (ie one vehicle towing another) it could become a bit of a white elephant that you could only use in the UK. I'm not going to go into the legalities of whether it becomes a trailer as that's not the issue abroad and at present the UK hasn't mandated against this.

When I first read this I though you were asking about an EV powered car towing another car, not the EV powered car being the toad.

Sorry for the confusion. MoHo towing an EV is the question.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Sorry for the confusion. MoHo towing an EV is the question.
No apology necessary :* ... even I, the one and only Minxy Girl (I can already hear some saying "thank goodness"!), occasionally type the wrong word and confuse people ... two which I have to be very careful with are 'now' and 'not' ... they can completely change the context of a sentence! :rofl:

OP
OP
B

BigDean

Free Member
Mar 31, 2018
Bath, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria
Exp
Since 2017
Its illegal anyway

That has been discussed to death previously, so not interested in resurrecting that one again.

I simply wanted to see if anyone else wants to tow an EV on their motorhome on an A Frame?

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Im already regularly frustrated at waiting for two or more cars to fuels up as it is
the thought of waiting 2 or 3 40 minuet sessions blows ALL electric vehicles out the water for me period
I can hear you say "I have never had a queuing problem, just wait till th numbers of EV greatly outnumber the charge points
Besides the EVs are only a stopgap solution and a knee jerk reaction whilst we sort out another alternative to save the planet
You may have guessed im not an EV fan
ps I still have a Dinosaur as a pet:LOL:

OP
OP
B

BigDean

Free Member
Mar 31, 2018
Bath, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria
Exp
Since 2017
Why not tow your EV on a trailer, A frame not legal in Europe anyway.

Thanks for your input, but I am not asking about legality or trailers, the question was to ascertain if anyone would want to tow an EV with their motorhome on an A Frame.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Thanks for your input, but I am not asking about legality or trailers, the question was to ascertain if anyone would want to tow an EV with their motorhome on an A Frame.
Thinking more about it, it's not just whether it can be towed due to the transmission, but also the weight ... I wonder if the front of EVs are not 'beefy' enough to have an A-frame attached due to the additional weight of the batteries, even though I appreciate some of the other bits aren't installed in the car that would normally be for a diesel/petrol one.

OP
OP
B

BigDean

Free Member
Mar 31, 2018
Bath, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria
Exp
Since 2017
Thinking more about it, it's not just whether it can be towed due to the transmission, but also the weight ... I wonder if the front of EVs are not 'beefy' enough to have an A-frame attached due to the additional weight of the batteries, even though I appreciate some of the other bits aren't installed in the car that would normally be for a diesel/petrol one.

Good points. I think I will discuss with a manufacturer. Could be an absolute non starter, but you never know.

Thanks

Peppadog

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 11, 2018
Nr Bath
Funster No
MH
Sunlight C600 pvc
Exp
Since the late 70's
Not me BigDean. We have a Toyota IQ that can't be towed as its automatic. EV's, of which I am keen, have a similar issue (I don't think they can freewheel?). So my only option is a trailer for either. This is no problem until I get on a site and have to find somewhere to put it!

I went back to the drawing board and decided to tow either my motorcycle, or sell that and buy a scooter (possibly EV as they are about now) to tow on a small, lightweight, side loading trailer. I could just put a rack on the back of my Hymer, but rear axle load weight makes that a bit marginal. So I now have a bike trailer on order. It is ready to collect in March. In theory anyway.

I wouldn't hesitate to use an A frame if we had a manual IQ AND it was legal to do so in Spain. So they are not for consideration for me.

OP
OP
B

BigDean

Free Member
Mar 31, 2018
Bath, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria
Exp
Since 2017
Not me BigDean. We have a Toyota IQ that can't be towed as its automatic. EV's, of which I am keen, have a similar issue. So my only option is a trailer for either. This is no problem until I get on a site and have to find somewhere to put it!

I went back to the drawing board and decided to tow either my motorcycle, or sell that and buy a scooter (possible EV as they are about not) to tow on a small, lightweight, side loading trailer. I could just put a rack on the back of my Hymer, but rear axle load weight makes that a bit marginal. So I now have one on order. It is ready to collect in March. In theory anyway.

I wouldn't hesitate to use an A frame if we had a manual IQ AND it was legal to do so in Spain. So they are not for consideration for me.

Thanks for the input. (y)

OP
OP
B

BigDean

Free Member
Mar 31, 2018
Bath, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria
Exp
Since 2017
Fair point for that particular car. There are lighter ones, and new ones coming out all the time.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back