Electric TOAD on an A Frame (1 Viewer)

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
You could have two alternators as boats do, but nothing is free ie if you start drawing heavy charging current from your van that will use more fossil fuel and defeat the object, as every time you alter from one fuel to another you lose a percentage through efficiency so no real point.
My MH has 2 alternators, 1 x 24v for the oily stuff and 1 x 12v for the house batteries

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
It's also illegal to have the engine running with no driver

I have a built in 6kw generator designed to run whilst driving, so I could charge it

But as I say it's illegal :LOL:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I doubt that charging voltage is that high.
It is in cars that are rated at that voltage. The voltage has to be higher than the battery voltage for there to be current flow into the battery.

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
I'm not a mechanic and just saying it as I am informed working in dealers and vehicle services. We were told many years ago the new fuel was gas. Vauxhall invested millions of pounds setting-up a production line to make these vehicles of the future. Shortly afterwards gas was no longer the preferred saviour so diesel came in as a favourite. Now it's electric.
The pollution created in both battery manufacturer and disposal is mind blowing.
Who knows tomorrow they could choose something else. I intend to stay neutral and let everyone buy electric and have the cost.
Yes, leave EVs to us.(y)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I totally agree, it will. I hope I'm not here to witness the problems.
I'm sure we could arrange for you to 'disappear' now if you really wanted, no need to wait! :whistle2:

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
It's also illegal to have the engine running with no driver

I have a built in 6kw generator designed to run whilst driving, so I could charge it

But as I say it's illegal :LOL:
EV doesn’t have an engine so can’t be illegal. It only has an electric motor which won’t really be running. So dragging it behind the moho must put a little into it

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Yes, it can and has been done in stupid internet stunts/experiments. Here is just one example.

BUT!!!!

You are relying on regenerative braking to do it. So you are effectively towing a car with the brakes on. This is the results;
1) Your fuel efficiency will tank massively. Costing you far more.
2) You will put stresses on both vehicles that they are not designed to handle.
3) You would need someone in the EV whilst this is happening.

I wasn't suggesting for one minute it was a solution!! :roflmto:

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Most if not all can be charged from domestic mains (slowly) so although I wasn't suggesting a 12v input would do it both EHU or an inverter whilst travelling are possibilities.
An inverter? Are you suggesting a 12v to 240v inverter? :Eeek:

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
An inverter? Are you suggesting a 12v to 240v inverter? :Eeek:
Tsk. Whoever heard of such a thing :giggle: . Yes I was for use whilst travelling. You must understand that none of my suggestions about an electric toad were fully thought through - I simply tossed them out there for others to put flesh on the bones. Or to laugh at them. Another random thought - some early discoveries about the nervous system were made using a frogs leg. And here we are discussing electric toads.:giggle:

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
This is our TOAD pushing our camper as fast as it can
20200215_111339.jpg

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Ladies first 😁
OoooooOOooOOooooo ... you mean I'm at the front of the queue so get to try to kill you first! Yay!!!! :Grin:

Apr 12, 2020
South Lincs....
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7095DF
Exp
20+ years. Previously Hymer B654 and Hymer S660 both c/w tow-bars.
Morning all,

It appears that current A Frame systems are not capable of having an EV as a tow car.

What do people think. If a system was available, would an EV be an option?

It certainly would for us.

Should I spend time looking at a solution or is it just me????

Thanks
BigDean.
I don’t think flat towing an EV is an option just now. I read some technical stuff from Tesla somewhere that it wasn’t possible. Most hybrid’s can‘t be flat towed either, though there are some exceptions. Ford have a few options put not necessarily all in the U.K. market.

E.V’s could be the death knell for A-frames....

Sep 2, 2014
Near Colchester, Essex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo
Exp
12 years
I suppose one of the questions is, even if you could somehow tow an EV car fitted with an A-frame where realistically could you use it? With countries banning this practice in the EU (ie one vehicle towing another) it could become a bit of a white elephant that you could only use in the UK. I'm not going to go into the legalities of whether it becomes a trailer as that's not the issue abroad and at present the UK hasn't mandated against this.

When I first read this I though you were asking about an EV powered car towing another car, not the EV powered car being the toad.
We have been using an A frame for many years, we have just got a new car fitted with an up to the minute braking system. Its brilliant. I cannot see why the eu lot do not like them, but there you go its the eu. So much better towing a vehicle where all 4 wheels brake, can be reversed, has a lower centre of gravity to a car on a trailer. It seems madness to take a car of its 4 wheels and put it on a two wheel trailer with an ancient over ride braking system that cannot be reversed and say its better ??.
I know that's going a bit off subject but, just saying. 🚐🚗:giggle:

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
We have been using an A frame for many years, we have just got a new car fitted with an up to the minute braking system. Its brilliant. I cannot see why the eu lot do not like them, but there you go its the eu. So much better towing a vehicle where all 4 wheels brake, can be reversed, has a lower centre of gravity to a car on a trailer. It seems madness to take a car of its 4 wheels and put it on a two wheel trailer with an ancient over ride braking system that cannot be reversed and say its better ??.
I know that's going a bit off subject but, just saying. 🚐🚗:giggle:
What sort of trailer cannot be reversed? I’ve not heard of one. Is it a special type of trailer?

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming
I suppose one of the questions is, even if you could somehow tow an EV car fitted with an A-frame where realistically could you use it? With countries banning this practice in the EU (ie one vehicle towing another) it could become a bit of a white elephant that you could only use in the UK. I'm not going to go into the legalities of whether it becomes a trailer as that's not the issue abroad and at present the UK hasn't mandated against this.

When I first read this I though you were asking about an EV powered car towing another car, not the EV powered car being the toad.
I’m a little confused by the eu “banning” the towing of a ev car or any other (Petrol or Deisel) on an A-frame, it always has been banned, and as you say it is a bit of a white elephant as I have never taken my Aframed car abroad for that very reason, just not worth the fines and hassle.

Sep 2, 2014
Near Colchester, Essex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo
Exp
12 years
Can't really state the brands but problems are from battery's expiring and some exploding. The most common problem with which they are baffled is the multiple electrical faults.
My neighbours heap is a Toyota Rav which only starts on electric so when he doesn't use it for a few days the batteries go flat. He's had multiple new batteries and loads of electrical work but all in vain.
We have friends with a Mitsubishi electric/hybrid thing which they cannot wait to get rid of and get a good diesel, or a hydrogen powered car. When it runs out of electricity after now only 25 ish miles ,the petrol engine then cuts in and if lucky they get 25 mpg. Cost of new batteries is prohibitive.

Big Boris

Free Member
Jul 4, 2020
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 740
Exp
Since 2015
Morning all,

It appears that current A Frame systems are not capable of having an EV as a tow car.

Thanks
BigDean

Morning all,

Thanks
BigDean.
Hi,
I have a collapsable trailer for sale if that helps.

Cheers Big boris

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming
I get that the towing vehicle would use more fuel. You would however have a fully charged EV when you stopped. Which would get used for a day or two. Then when you move on the EV gets charged again.
Just an idea. I think some can be charged albeit slowly from a household socket. If the towing vehicle has an inverter would this work?
I don’t think that an inverter would be capable of supplying sufficient output for charging an ev without depleting the batteries it’s drawing it’s power from, apart from this, those who are young enough to be buying a Ev car to tow on an Aframe have they considered how they might achieve this by eventually towing it with their EV MOTORHOME, personally by the time that petrol & diesel becomes unavailable I will probably have given up driving either due to old age .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back