Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
Currently does not seem to be possible.

I am happy to speak with the manufacturers and see what the limitation is and if there is a possible solution, but only if there is more interest than just me!

Thanks
It would be interesting to find out if a towed EV could be charged from towing vehicle’s electrics. Would the out put of the average towing vehicle be enough to charge it? If it could then the engine in the towing vehicle is powering two vehicles. That’s got to be a win.

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
My friend and customer has a fleet of 38 recovery vehicles and he loves EV's. They are rapidly making him a millionaire. My neighbour works for a main dealer selling 2 EV brands and they have had so many returned the manufacturer has stopped sales until they can find cures for multiple problems.
My neighbour has a Hybrid and after over 17 call outs with Green Flag the dealer has advised him to leave it ticking over every other day to try and keep his batteries charged.
Me + electric = NEVER

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
B

BigDean

Free Member
Mar 31, 2018
Bath, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria
Exp
Since 2017
My friend and customer has a fleet of 38 recovery vehicles and he loves EV's. They are rapidly making him a millionaire. My neighbour works for a main dealer selling 2 EV brands and they have had so many returned the manufacturer has stopped sales until they can find cures for multiple problems.
My neighbour has a Hybrid and after over 17 call outs with Green Flag the dealer has advised him to leave it ticking over every other day to try and keep his batteries charged.
Me + electric = NEVER
Very interesting.

What problems have they had? Which brands?

Thanks.

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
It would be interesting to find out if a towed EV could be charged from towing vehicle’s electrics. Would the out put of the average towing vehicle be enough to charge it? If it could then the engine in the towing vehicle is powering two vehicles. That’s got to be a win.
You could have two alternators as boats do, but nothing is free ie if you start drawing heavy charging current from your van that will use more fossil fuel and defeat the object, as every time you alter from one fuel to another you lose a percentage through efficiency so no real point.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks for your input, but I am not asking about legality or trailers, the question was to ascertain if anyone would want to tow an EV with their motorhome on an A Frame.
As nobody, so far, has answered your question, or got anywhere near answering, I reckon the answer is No!

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
Very interesting.

Thanks.
Can't really state the brands but problems are from battery's expiring and some exploding. The most common problem with which they are baffled is the multiple electrical faults.
My neighbours heap is a Toyota Rav which only starts on electric so when he doesn't use it for a few days the batteries go flat. He's had multiple new batteries and loads of electrical work but all in vain.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I thought the electric only EV ran on batteries in the 400v+ range.
Really can't see charging at 12v from an alternator cutting it somehow

Just googled..

Current battery systems for electric cars typically use voltage levels between 200 and 800 V.

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
Can't really state the brands but problems are from battery's expiring and some exploding. The most common problem with which they are baffled is the multiple electrical faults.
My neighbours heap is a Toyota Rav which only starts on electric so when he doesn't use it for a few days the batteries go flat. He's had multiple new batteries and loads of electrical work but all in vain.
I drive an EV, are you saying I am driving around in a potential bomb? should I sell it, now you have me worried,

Sep 29, 2009
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Roller Team
Exp
Since 2009
The whole concept of using fusel fuel to drag a 30k overweight run about with us, is beyond me. Before we got our toad, we used local eco taxis to get about. Other campers have been horified that we could spend money in the local economy.

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
You could have two alternators as boats do, but nothing is free ie if you start drawing heavy charging current from your van that will use more fossil fuel and defeat the object, as every time you alter from one fuel to another you lose a percentage through efficiency so no real point.
I get that the towing vehicle would use more fuel. You would however have a fully charged EV when you stopped. Which would get used for a day or two. Then when you move on the EV gets charged again.
Just an idea. I think some can be charged albeit slowly from a household socket. If the towing vehicle has an inverter would this work?

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
I get that the towing vehicle would use more fuel. You would however have a fully charged EV when you stopped. Which would get used for a day or two. Then when you move on the EV gets charged again.
Just an idea. I think some can be charged albeit slowly from a household socket. If the towing vehicle has an inverter would this work?
The simple answer is you can not get a quart out of a pint pot.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
That has been discussed to death previously, so not interested in resurrecting that one again.

I simply wanted to see if anyone else wants to tow an EV on their motorhome on an A Frame?
That's the beauty of forums everyone can post regardless of if people are interested or not

As it happens it was a joke

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I thought the electric only EV ran on batteries in the 400v+ range.
Really can't see charging at 12v from an alternator cutting it somehow

Just googled..

Current battery systems for electric cars typically use voltage levels between 200 and 800 V.
I doubt that charging voltage is that high.

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
Sorry for the confusion. MoHo towing an EV is the question.
I am an EV user, love mine and the concept in general

There are recommendations not to tow an EV , but these are manufacturer based
However, as of today, I cannot think of a single a-frame supplier who I would trust with one...maybe soon though

The other challenge would be the weight. But that will come down as tech moves forward
👍

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
If an EV can travel on a closed 'throttle' then it can be towed - perhaps charging as it goes.

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
The “maths” on EVs is not complex ( apologies Gromett ) if you dont want to get bogged down comparing

As a guide, EV will do 3 to 4 miles per kw

Battery size (capacity) dictates range so 50kw will go150 to 200 miles

13amp plug will charge at 2kw hr , so 25 hours empty to full for 50kw battery

7kw wall charger- about 7 hours for 50 kw battery

100kw supercharger - 30 minutes

Bear in mind , this is a guide for beginners, not a bible for experts 😄

Last edited:

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
If an EV can travel on a closed 'throttle' then it can be towed - perhaps charging as it goes.
In theory ,you are correct...but my EV cannot freewheel ( ie be pushed or roped if battery goes flat) without someone sitting in drivers seat !

Again, yes, could be bypassed, but who would you trust to scotch lock that 😂

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
The “maths” on EVs is not complex ( apologies Gromett ) if you dont want to get bogged down comparing

As a guide, EV will do 3 to 4 miles per kw

Battery size dictates range so 50kw will go150 to 200 miles

13amp plug will charge at 2kw hr , so 25 hours empty to full for 50kw battery

7kw wall charger- about 7 hours for 50 kw battery

100kw supercharger - 30 minutes

Bear in mind , this is a guide for beginners, not a bible for experts 😄
Thanks very much. I don’t know anything about them really and currently don’t have a use for one. When my wife’s Smart for4 needs changing an EV might do what she needs. This could then maybe be of use as a tow car. Would an EV put some electric into it’s battery just by being towed? I understand no energy is free but would it charge a little?

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
Thanks very much. I don’t know anything about them really and currently don’t have a use for one. When my wife’s Smart for4 needs changing an EV might do what she needs. This could then maybe be of use as a tow car. Would an EV put some electric into it’s battery just by being towed? I understand no energy is free but would it charge a little?
The Physics say “yes”, but I suspect the car software would say “no”

I suspect an a frame for a Smart EV ( if at all possible) will be significantly more expensive than a Smart trailer ( without getting into the semantics of a frame vs trailer)

We shall see

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
I drive an EV, are you saying I am driving around in a potential bomb? should I sell it, now you have me worried,
I'm not a mechanic and just saying it as I am informed working in dealers and vehicle services. We were told many years ago the new fuel was gas. Vauxhall invested millions of pounds setting-up a production line to make these vehicles of the future. Shortly afterwards gas was no longer the preferred saviour so diesel came in as a favourite. Now it's electric.
The pollution created in both battery manufacturer and disposal is mind blowing.
Who knows tomorrow they could choose something else. I intend to stay neutral and let everyone buy electric and have the cost.

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
I'm not a mechanic and just saying it as I am informed working in dealers and vehicle services. We were told many years ago the new fuel was gas. Vauxhall invested millions of pounds setting-up a production line to make these vehicles of the future. Shortly afterwards gas was no longer the preferred saviour so diesel came in as a favourite. Now it's electric.
The pollution created in both battery manufacturer and disposal is mind blowing.
Who knows tomorrow they could choose something else. I intend to stay neutral and let everyone buy electric and have the cost.
Thanks👍
im satisfied with my today reality of 125 miles for a fiver

OP
OP
B

BigDean

Free Member
Mar 31, 2018
Bath, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria
Exp
Since 2017

This is very true, but the pure amount of investment that car makers are pumping into electric would make me bet its going to happen.

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
Very interesting.

Thanks.
As I said earlier it's mainly electrical gremlins and the worrying thing is they are having great difficulties sorting these issues. The spectrum of brands is varied but I don't want to alarm owners. If they are having issue's they will know. As a dealer said recently many people won't broadcast they are having issues. This is good for the brands.
It's about time they stopped using the customers to test the electrical revolution. They already do this with motorhomes.

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
This is very true, but the pure amount of investment that car makers are pumping into electric would make me bet its going to happen.
Its happening

Another short/ medium term success will be the MG EV Estate
Yes its Chinese, but the build on them is very good and 7 year warranty

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Yes, it can and has been done in stupid internet stunts/experiments. Here is just one example.

BUT!!!!

You are relying on regenerative braking to do it. So you are effectively towing a car with the brakes on. This is the results;
1) Your fuel efficiency will tank massively. Costing you far more.
2) You will put stresses on both vehicles that they are not designed to handle.
3) You would need someone in the EV whilst this is happening.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back