Electric power sockets not working? (1 Viewer)

Aye Mya

Free Member
Apr 23, 2014
Brighton
Funster No
MH
A class motorhome
Exp
New
Has anyone got any advice for electric power sockets not working on a b544 Hymer 1991? The leisure battery was working for lights etc but not the plugs sockets for charging phones etc?. Is it likely to be as simple as a fuse or something as it has worked in the past but only on hook up?
Also, leisure battery seems to drain v quickly, for just lights use, it charges back up once I run the engine but drains even quicker the next time. The van has not been used on leisure battery for maybe a year regularly, is it just need warming up again or replacing. Thanks!

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Hi there Aya May

Your 3 pin sockets will only work on hook up unless you have one wired into an inverter. As to why your leisure battery is fading fast, what do you call fast? A day, a few hours?

Upvote 0

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Power sockets will only work when on mains hookup.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I think your leisure battery has died and gone to heaven... :cry:

New one time...

As above mains sockets only work when on hook up.... Unless specially wired from an inverter which may not be the case here..

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

Aye Mya

Free Member
Apr 23, 2014
Brighton
Funster No
MH
A class motorhome
Exp
New
Hi there Aya May

Your 3 pin sockets will only work on hook up unless you have one wired into an inverter. As to why your leisure battery is fading fast, what do you call fast? A day, a few hours?

Thanks, thought that might be the case! Well, we went camping Friday night, lights etc on till about 1am, and by the next morning was very low, I'm the red, and then by the arvo needed recharging by running the engine. It seemed to charge again in about 10 mins but ran down by the evening again. Although, I think that the kids were fiddling with the controls on the gas heater and it was clicking so maybe was trying to ignite for a while? That could run the battery down?

Upvote 0

outkast

Free Member
Jan 7, 2014
potters bar
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
what type of lights do you run off the 12v, I have two types in my van, leds wich run of the battery on 12v and main lights wich I run when on hook up, just returned from a 3 day stay in the Cotswolds, battery hardly dropped when using the leds and dvd player, every night.

Upvote 0

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Thanks, thought that might be the case! Well, we went camping Friday night, lights etc on till about 1am, and by the next morning was very low, I'm the red, and then by the arvo needed recharging by running the engine. It seemed to charge again in about 10 mins but ran down by the evening again. Although, I think that the kids were fiddling with the controls on the gas heater and it was clicking so maybe was trying to ignite for a while? That could run the battery down?

I have already reached the limit of my understanding on this subject, other than as others have said it could be that your battery is on it's last legs. They don't last for ever. I am sure someone will be along soon to tell you how to test if it's holding a charge.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks, thought that might be the case! Well, we went camping Friday night, lights etc on till about 1am, and by the next morning was very low, I'm the red, and then by the arvo needed recharging by running the engine. [HI]It seemed to charge again in about 10 mins but ran down by the evening again[/HI]. Although, I think that the kids were fiddling with the controls on the gas heater and it was clicking so maybe was trying to ignite for a while? That could run the battery down?

charging via the split charge from the engine will take many, many hours.

Charging on hookup will take maybe 15 hours or more if the battery meter showed red.

What you are seeing is a surface charge which isnt really charged.
A bit like putting a drop of oil on a cup of water....it stays on top, but give it a vigorous stirring for long enough and it will be absorbed into the water

You say your battery has been little used for a year or so....if it hasnt been kept on hookup at home its beyond charging and will never be any good again.

Lead acid batteries must be stored fully charged or they die.

All in all, you need a new battery.

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
leisure batteries, like bodies work better when exercised and used. unfortunately the life expectancy of a battery drops very fast if its left unused. eventually it reaches a point where it wont hold charge long enough to use or fails totally

from your description its certain the battery needs replacing....sorry no other practical solution

Upvote 0

HARESBY

Free Member
Jul 11, 2012
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie well sort of. Ex continental truck driver.
power problem

If you can,take problem battery to auto leccy and ask for a drop test(quick and cheap). It will show if battery no good,then raid the piggy bank. :thumb:

Upvote 0

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012

10 minutes of idle engine running will have almost no charging effect at all. You would need to drive the engine at reasonable revs for about 10 hours to get a reasonable charge.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

Aye Mya

Free Member
Apr 23, 2014
Brighton
Funster No
MH
A class motorhome
Exp
New
charging via the split charge from the engine will take many, many hours.

Charging on hookup will take maybe 15 hours or more if the battery meter showed red.

What you are seeing is a surface charge which isnt really charged.
A bit like putting a drop of oil on a cup of water....it stays on top, but give it a vigorous stirring for long enough and it will be absorbed into the water

You say your battery has been little used for a year or so....if it hasnt been kept on hookup at home its beyond charging and will never be any good again.

Lead acid batteries must be stored fully charged or they die.

All in all, you need a new battery.
Ah, that makes sense. What price are reasonable batteries?
I'll probably still get it tested first.
This forums are so helpful, thanks everyone!

Upvote 0

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012

You'll get a 110Ah wet battery (avoid the other types as they are expensive and hard to charge unless you need it for safety reasons) for about £100. However, to avoid knackering the new one, you have to think about how it will be charged.

If you do a lot of driving, fit a B2B charger, which will charge quickly when driving. If you use hookup, make sure you have a decent smart charger. If you mostly go in the summer, fit solar.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

average price is around £70 for a 110amp/hour battery.

Can be a bit cheaper at m/h shows...many traders offer show discounts but check the manufactured date label if buying in person.

A battery could have been 'on the shelf' for a considerable time if the trader doesnt sell many.

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
£65.50 for a 110ah with next day delivery and a 4 year warranty if used properly
Broken Link Removed

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

Aye Mya

Free Member
Apr 23, 2014
Brighton
Funster No
MH
A class motorhome
Exp
New
£65.50 for a 110ah with next day delivery and a 4 year warranty if used properly
Broken Link Removed

Thanks, I've just bought this and am going to change the battery. I think I can manage to do this myself?! I just looked at the current battery and it has some yellowy gunk on the connectors? Anything to worry about?

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
it could be either sulphation or a bit of vaseline put there to prevent it. clean the terminals well before fitting the new battery and put a light smear of vaseline on the outside of the connectors to stop them corroding or attracting sulphates as the battery gasses

be aware these are big heavy batteries as they are made from lead inside so need to be handled with care

Upvote 0

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Thanks, I've just bought this and am going to change the battery. I think I can manage to do this myself?! I just looked at the current battery and it has some yellowy gunk on the connectors? Anything to worry about?

Yes, always disconnect the earth (negative) first. Always connect it last.

This is very important if you value your spanners, your sanity and your vehicle, as if you do it the other way, if your spanner touches bodywork when tightening or loosening the positive terminal, you will get about 1000A through the spanner, which will often spot weld it to whatever you touched. The battery will then explode.

Upvote 0
Apr 10, 2014
glasgow
Funster No
MH
iveco conversion
Exp
power

yes same in our 1997 iveco. original sockets do not work off hook up but previous owner put in inverter with four bar on rear wall. works fine. Boil water for tea on cooker instead of kettle!!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

Aye Mya

Free Member
Apr 23, 2014
Brighton
Funster No
MH
A class motorhome
Exp
New
Thanks everyone! Had it fitted by someone else. Drove 120 miles and then when I got home, the starter motor went :(
Are all vans like this, so bloody unreliable?

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Thanks everyone! Had it fitted by someone else. Drove 120 miles and then when I got home, the starter motor went :(
not all but things like starter motors and clutches can go at any time. often with motorhomes its the lack of use that causes issues rather than the mechanicals wearing out. look on the bright side, the starter could of failed in some foreign country yo were visiting causing a bigger headache. now its done you know you can rely on it

Upvote 0

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012

Mine was. It was a wreck when I bought it, although is steadily getting much better as I work through the issues.

The geometry on my starter was completely out. Not only did I have to replace the motor, but I had to have a shim made up to my own design from a laser cutting company on eBay to get it to disengage cleanly.

At least it saved me 30kg, as the previous owner had wired up two starter batteries to get enough amps for the wedged-in original starter to turn. It was pulling 1000A to just slowly turn the thing. No wonder it burned out.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

Aye Mya

Free Member
Apr 23, 2014
Brighton
Funster No
MH
A class motorhome
Exp
New
Did I mention I just had the entire engine rebuilt??

Upvote 0

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Did I mention I just had the entire engine rebuilt??

Well mine needed a complete brand new engine, rather than a rebuild! Still I bought it for almost nothing. Costs of renovations, I'd rather not think about...

Upvote 0

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
I lived in a shoe box by the motorway

with my 6 brothers