Electric nightmare on departure day (1 Viewer)

Aug 16, 2021
Funster No
MH
Adria sunliving lido
Hi all, I made some adjustments to our Adria sunliving which involved moving the Electrobloc 208S - not disconecting, mind, just moving while I dismantled a bulkhead. I had to disconnect the poitive terminal from the battery to route a cable and - massive mistake(?) - I did not switch off the battery switch.
The job went well, plenty more space, but as we prepared to leave on our long awaited holiday this morning, no DC power anywhere. Closer inspection showed two loose cables on the EBL208 and I've tried everywhere for advice on which of the 6-8 empty sockets but Adria just want to sell me a new van and the Schaudt manual does not get to this level. All the fuses are intact. Auto electric guys in the neighbourhood don't touch campers and the only dealership is on holiday - yes in August!
So no DC anywhere and two loose wires on the first day of holiday....HELP!

Solution
Thanks again, Autorouter. From Puddleduck's response, showing photos of his Adria wiring of the EBL 208, it might be that the white wire is 21 (0V so at least at the expected voltage) which could get us going. If the water pump then does not work, the orange wire would likely be 23. If the connector numbers I sent are right, I'll try that. Fingers crossed! Thanks a million!
All went as planned! White wire in 21 got us but without water and the orange in 23 restored us to full health! Thanks so much for your help. Just joined this f forum today with my back to the wall but I think I'm a life member.
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Hi all, I made some adjustments to our Adria sunliving which involved moving the Electrobloc 208S - not disconecting, mind, just moving while I dismantled a bulkhead. I had to disconnect the poitive terminal from the battery to route a cable and - massive mistake(?) - I did not switch off the battery switch.
The job went well, plenty more space, but as we prepared to leave on our long awaited holiday this morning, no DC power anywhere. Closer inspection showed two loose cables on the EBL208 and I've tried everywhere for advice on which of the 6-8 empty sockets but Adria just want to sell me a new van and the Schaudt manual does not get to this level. All the fuses are intact. Auto electric guys in the neighbourhood don't touch campers and the only dealership is on holiday - yes in August!
Can't you just stick them in and see what happens?

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.

We have a SunLiving (2016 model) as well and have always found our dealer, Geoff Cox very helpful. Of course this may be your dealer :(

If you are still stuck please ask as I can go and take photos of our setup but I am not sure if ours has the EBL208. We do have solar panels etc etc.

EDIT: Might take an hour or so from asking to do the photos as I am not very agile.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
Too late now, but I have begun a practice of photgraphing any electrical job BEFORE I remove anything as I find i get distracted part way through simple jobs "ooh, must replace that rusty bullet connector etc..." and then by the time I complete the initial job can't always recall what was actually where....

On a more positive note you can put a multimeter on the loose wires and see if they are live (and establish if they supply power in or out of your controller?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Can you post pictures of the EBL showing the connected wires and also the two unknown wires? It might help to put a multimeter on the wires to see if they are live positive, ground or neither. Are the wires similar thickness to most of the others?

I know you said that all fuses are intact, but does that include the big 50A fuse near the leisure battery, and also the 2A fuse next to it? If either of those are blown you'll get no power.

Edit: 30A fuse, not 50A.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Granger
Aug 16, 2021
Funster No
MH
Adria sunliving lido
We have a SunLiving (2016 model) as well and have always found our dealer, Geoff Cox very helpful. Of course this may be your dealer :(

If you are still stuck please ask as I can go and take photos of our setup but I am not sure if ours has the EBL208. We do have solar panels etc etc.

EDIT: Might take an hour or so from asking to do the photos as I am not very agile.
HI Puddleduck, what a kind offer. I would really appreciate this if you had time. No moving tonight now so please take your time.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Granger
Aug 16, 2021
Funster No
MH
Adria sunliving lido
Too late now, but I have begun a practice of photgraphing any electrical job BEFORE I remove anything as I find i get distracted part way through simple jobs "ooh, must replace that rusty bullet connector etc..." and then by the time I complete the initial job can't always recall what was actually where....

On a more positive note you can put a multimeter on the loose wires and see if they are live (and establish if they supply power in or out of your controller?
Hi Jev88, I did this - tested against the battery -ve terminal one was 0v and one about 13v. From the wiring diagram I should be able to see what empty terminals are possible? I'm no electrician so the moves here were accidental - or possibly predated the problem?? None of the other leads were loose enough to have been moved by what I did - but then they didn't move...

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
These photos are probably of no use at all but as you can see the space is tight.

However having removed the side facing seat to take the photos I can see where it might be possible for us to put a second battery if we lose the cupboard where we keep some odds and ends of tools and spares.

I just noticed on the solar panel controller photo that nothing looks to be lit up .... will need to go and check that tomorrow.

Attachments

• 101_0063.JPG
    101_0063.JPG
    359.9 KB · Views: 64
  • 101_0066.JPG
    101_0066.JPG
    348.6 KB · Views: 65
  • 101_0068.JPG
    101_0068.JPG
    452.4 KB · Views: 67
  • 101_0065.JPG
    101_0065.JPG
    426.6 KB · Views: 61
  • 101_0067.JPG
    101_0067.JPG
    248.7 KB · Views: 63
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Granger
Aug 16, 2021
Funster No
MH
Adria sunliving lido

The company to contact
Thanks, I'll call them in the morning. Other companies are too busy to talk to someone when they have a queue in the shop - which I couldn't blame them for.
You say there are 6 to 8 empty sockets. Which socket numbers are empty? 19 and 21 by any chance?
Hi Autorouter, here is a photo as requested in your last post - the empty terminals (5) are 18,20,21,22,23. These would appear to be the automatic step (which we don't have), the heater anti-freeze safety valve, the living area battery sensor negative, D+ terminal (not input) and + water pump. The two spare wires are white and orange and both are 0v wrt negative terminal - correction from reply to Jev88's post. I have checked the 2amp and 30A (not 50A in this case) with the multi-meter and both show 0 ohms.

Attachments

• 20210816_164248.jpg
    20210816_164248.jpg
    360.4 KB · Views: 86
Upvote 0

AgeingAndrew

Free Member
Apr 3, 2020
Hampshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2016

What about when you are on EHU or run the engine, do you have 12V supply then?. I would try the 30Amp fuse as suggested by autorouter before you do anything else.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Granger
Aug 16, 2021
Funster No
MH
Adria sunliving lido
These photos are probably of no use at all but as you can see the space is tight.

However having removed the side facing seat to take the photos I can see where it might be possible for us to put a second battery if we lose the cupboard where we keep some odds and ends of tools and spares.

I just noticed on the solar panel controller photo that nothing looks to be lit up .... will need to go and check that tomorrow.
Are the colour codes common on these Adria wiring looms? If so then your orange wire might be going to my blanks at terminal 23 and there could be a white wire going to 21?? Not completely sure but thanks a million for the effort. I'll let you know how it works out! Thanks

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Maybe my photo isn't that bad! From what I can see on my photo, left to right and top to bottom ( spaces 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 and 12 on top row then I am assuming the next row down is 13 to 18 and the bottom row 19 to 24)

7 red with white sleeve 13 red with yellow end 19 yellow with blue end

8 brown 14 white with red sleeve 20 blue and white maybe

9 purple 15 black 21 white with blue cap

10 blue 16 green 22 not sure

11 grey 17 pink 23 orange

12 not sure 18 red? 24 not sure

All at your own risk!

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
I think the orange goes to 23

number 21 on mine looks to be a white wire with a blue end to it.

Again at your own risk. I will private message you the man at Geoff Cox to ask - he has always been helpful when we ask anything.

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
the empty terminals (5) are 18,20,21,22,23.

Only one of those sockets (21) is supposed to be 0V - it's the living area battery sensor negative. I'm pretty sure that being disconnected is why you can't get any 12V DC. As to which one of the two, I don't know. If they are both 0V you could try both of them in turn to see if the power comes back on. If they are different thicknesses, the thin one is more likely to be the battery sensor negative.

The EBL gets a leisure battery voltage reading using two dedicated sensor wires direct to the battery, to avoid errors due to voltage drop on current-carrying wires. The sensor wires are on 19 (positive) and 21 (negative). If it can't get a voltage reading, it cuts off the power.

I don't know what the other white/orange wire is. Can you double-check those socket numbers?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Granger
Aug 16, 2021
Funster No
MH
Adria sunliving lido
What about when you are on EHU or run the engine, do you have 12V supply then?. I would try the 30Amp fuse as suggested by autorouter before you do anything else.
Thanks AgeingAndrew no 12V on electric hook up. Engine starts OK but haven't check this yet - will do that now and get back. As I said to Autorouter I am sure the 2A and 30A fuse are OK. I attach a photo to show these fuse holders to make sure I am testing the right ones - though I think I have tested all of them. The 2A and 30A fuses are immediately to the left of the consumer unit. Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• 20210816_165602.jpg
    20210816_165602.jpg
    305 KB · Views: 41
Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
autorouter the orange cable on ours goes into 23 :) under the grey and pink cables.

Also I think the white cable with the blue end thingy (getting technical) goes into 21.

BUT attach at your own risk.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Granger
Aug 16, 2021
Funster No
MH
Adria sunliving lido
Only one of those sockets (21) is supposed to be 0V - it's the living area battery sensor negative. I'm pretty sure that being disconnected is why you can't get any 12V DC. As to which one of the two, I don't know. If they are both 0V you could try both of them in turn to see if the power comes back on. If they are different thicknesses, the thin one is more likely to be the battery sensor negative.

The EBL gets a leisure battery voltage reading using two dedicated sensor wires direct to the battery, to avoid errors due to voltage drop on current-carrying wires. The sensor wires are on 19 (positive) and 21 (negative). If it can't get a voltage reading, it cuts off the power.

I don't know what the other white/orange wire is. Can you double-check those socket numbers?
Thanks again, Autorouter. From Puddleduck's response, showing photos of his Adria wiring of the EBL 208, it might be that the white wire is 21 (0V so at least at the expected voltage) which could get us going. If the water pump then does not work, the orange wire would likely be 23. If the connector numbers I sent are right, I'll try that. Fingers crossed! Thanks a million!

Upvote 0

AgeingAndrew

Free Member
Apr 3, 2020
Hampshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2016
Thanks AgeingAndrew no 12V on electric hook up. Engine starts OK but haven't check this yet - will do that now and get back. As I said to Autorouter I am sure the 2A and 30A fuse are OK. I attach a photo to show these fuse holders to make sure I am testing the right ones - though I think I have tested all of them. The 2A and 30A fuses are immediately to the left of the consumer unit. Thanks for your help.

OK, and the panel connector is firmly inserted too? Does the display panel show anything when you switch it off/on?

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Only one problem ... I'm a duck (quack quack) and not a drake!!!!
::bigsmile:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Granger
Aug 16, 2021
Funster No
MH
Adria sunliving lido
All went as planned! White wire in 21 got us but without water and the orange in 23 restored us to full health! Thanks so much for your help. Just joined this f forum today with my back to the wall but I think I'm a life member.

Upvote 0
Solution
OP
OP
Granger
Aug 16, 2021
Funster No
MH
Adria sunliving lido

Again at your own risk. I will private message you the man at Geoff Cox to ask - he has always been helpful when we ask anything.

Hi Puddleduck, I tried the white wire in 21 and we were in business but with no water pump - the orange wire in 23 fixed that. Off on holiday first thing tomorrow and will drink a pint of Mayo Guinness to your health! Thanks a million.
Thanks, Spriddler. First time I saw the image of the front with connection numbers. Really helpful.
Thanks Spriddler, your diagram allow us to crack the problem and we are off on holiday tomorrow with everything working! I'll certainly drink your health tomorrow night.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back