Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Will the batteries weigh less than the fuel, the fuel tank, engine, cooling system, exhausts ect. If so, it could mean a big boost in motorhome payload. Or will the leccy motorhome be so weight sensitive we'll be like balloon pilots jettisoning things to lose weight just to make our destination. I can see it now..

"Siân, throw out three more pairs of shoes, and that 6kg bag of ice or we're not going to make it"

"How about you losing some weight you fat b@$%^d"

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Crap for skiing.
We will flatten the battery climbing the mountain, have nothing to run the heating on, then only recharge through regen braking on the way down.
Electric motorhomes will end wild camping and tie us all to campsites.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Really long hook up cables :)

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
I agree with Jim's reservations about weight issues especially if the overall design is constrained by the 3,500 Kg MTPLM and the need to provide a 500 kg user payload as well. If they can achieve all this in an electric 7m MH that will be quite remarkable.

The other issue that @jonandshell touched on is the temperature factor. This not only affects the expected range of the vehicle on a single charge, which assumes that the ambient temperature is always 20c, but also the discharge and charging rate of the batteries themselves. It sounds very nerdy but is rather significant. On a very cold (or hot) day you might struggle. The batteries might need their own heaters if you want to go skiing.

See http://www.batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/discharging_at_high_and_low_temperatures

I would be interested to see @gromit's comments. He always knows much more about this subject than I do.

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
I don't think it'll actually be that far away to be honest, but the payload!! Well that's a different thing......I'd say still throw out the fat bloke:)

IMG_3883.JPG
IMG_3884.JPG
IMG_3885.JPG

Or there's always the option of a conversion:)

IMG_3887.JPG

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
I saw this going into the swift factory today I think they have started production already ;):D
download.jpg

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I think the move to full electric should and needs to be via the hybrid route, OK this has started well and truly for passenger cars but has not really caught on in the commercial sector, 80 mile range might be OK for a shopping Prius or i3 but not much good for a commercial driver lugging a few ton around with deadlines to meet.

Martin

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Range would be the key requirement for me after costs. Trying to shift a mh will take a lot of power but doing it over 300 miles a day? I would fear that much of my holiday would be spent waiting when vehicle to recharge.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I don't thing commercial vehicles will go electric, more like hydrogen cell, well not in my lifetime.......... and I'm only twelve. :whistle:

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
Where is the electricity coming from to charge all these vehicles? It's a knee jerk reaction to my mind. Maybe a way of making vehicle manufacturers to start ,pulling their fingers out' over alternatives.

cornish boy

Free Member
Jul 24, 2016
Body in Hampshire, heart in Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki 669.
Exp
not so newbie anymore - since 2016
I have faith in the fact that some very clever people with brains the size of small planets are working on this as we speak.

I just hope that they also have a 'normal' person in the room as well or else the world may just end up with an amazing solution that serves no practical purpose! :)

In terms of todays technology, using batteries as energy storage will always mean a payoff between range and recharge time. The longer the range, the longer the recharge time. There is a lot of focus on charging technology to reduce the recharge cycle times to address the range/recharge equation but we are a long way off having a solution of storage and recharge that works across all temperature and altitude zones at a range/speed acceptable to today's consumer desire.
Moving forward, the world may just have to accept that clean fuel means life will be delivered slower!

Of course, energy storage in a battery still relies on power generation and distribution, so hand in hand with battery research, we need to address the issue of clean power and find a method of generation which doesn't produce long term legacy issues such as nuclear waste.

On the other hand, we should encourage research into alternative energy sources and continue looking at fuel cell technology in the hope that within the next ten years, the technology will be better understood leading to a reduction in costs and becoming viable mainstream options.

I am a firm believer that we all have a part to play in the development of tomorrows fuel sources by encouraging research through private and public funding, pushing the agenda for change and most importantly accepting life will be different. (y)

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
These are running all round the county town of Dorchester...

So not that far fetched really... they are coming sooon... don`t know what they weigh, but only fill up/Charge once a day.... and do a fair few miles..

(Just googled this = most buses are out on the road for twelve hours and 150 miles or more per day..)

Imagine the queue`s at the filling station....

green-grant-gives-dorset-2-new-electric-buses-L-xSiVx7.jpeg

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
I don't think it'll actually be that far away to be honest, but the payload!! Well that's a different thing

View attachment 177024

The payload should be good on this lightweight construction model but frankly I would like a few more creature comforts. Seats would be a good start.

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Seems to me that it's all just another crank of the life handle regarding polution, especially on the streets of capital cities.

This is all brought about because of pollution. It really wasn't that long ago that the only means of transport was the horse. This in itself brought around a polution problem, health hazards and disease. See here: http://www.historic-uk.com/HistoryUK/HistoryofBritain/Great-Horse-Manure-Crisis-of-1894/

We'll mine the earths resources even further for the metals to make these batteries and then draw on our electrical supplies to charge them.

We don't even have power stations that can maintain the UK's power supplies of today without drawing from overseas supplies, let along charge the millions of cars that would eventually run on our roads.

Will we need to build more power stations, possibly nuclear and how safe will they all be. Hopefully nuclear technology will ensure our safety, but what of the disposal years from now. Contain the waste and dump at sea, or bury in the ground or dump in deep space.

Can't help but feel it's the futures futures generations that'll be paying for it all in one way or another.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Perhaps an adaptation of the efoy fuel cell?

cornish boy

Free Member
Jul 24, 2016
Body in Hampshire, heart in Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki 669.
Exp
not so newbie anymore - since 2016
Perhaps an adaptation of the efoy fuel cell?

It is a real possibility but methanol production still relies heavily on natural gas for its production so there needs to be signifiant investment to enable the production of synthesis gas using waste CO2 or biomass in the volumes required to start to realise the benefits of clean fuels while maintaining control over, and reducing, the worlds reliance on the consumption of natural resources until the tipping point is reached.

Convincing developing economies to leap beyond using carbon/fossel fuels to 'fuel' growth (no pun intended) and instead embrace clean, but more costly, alternatives will be hard (but not impossible). Not least because over the last 100 years the major world economies have freely used and abused carbon/fossel fuels to drive and sustain their own growth.

The biggest hurdle to overcome in the entire journey from dirty fuels to clean energy is not the technology nor the investment, but simply the acceptance of the consumer that the impact of the change over to clean energy may require a step backwards before we can make a leap forward.

All in my own opinion of course! :)

Last edited:

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
I'm sure they do but what about the extra risk and pollution caused by more power plants?

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Where is the electricity coming from to charge all these vehicles?
I did some sums on this last week but came up with too high a figure. I've since seen a report suggesting the increase might only be about 10% which could come from increased generating capacity but probably more likely from electricity created in off peak times stored somewhere - probably big batteries unless someone comes up with a viable alternative.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
These are running all round the county town of Dorchester...

So not that far fetched really... they are coming sooon... don`t know what they weigh, but only fill up/Charge once a day.... and do a fair few miles..

(Just googled this = most buses are out on the road for twelve hours and 150 miles or more per day..)

Imagine the queue`s at the filling station....

green-grant-gives-dorset-2-new-electric-buses-L-xSiVx7.jpeg

Between 80 and 100 miles per charge so the driver must have a lot of tea breaks:LOL:

Just read a bit more they have top up charging plates at a couple of stops around the route so they can take on a 10 minute charge when the bus is standing

Martin

Last edited:

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
I think the move to full electric should and needs to be via the hybrid route

But what will replace the petrol or diesel part of the hybrid engine? Perhaps I should corner the market in rubber bands.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back