Electric Motorhome a Reality but at a cost (1 Viewer)

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
Just seen this electric MH but at €200,000 for the higher output just a dream for now but watch this space. I guess once they actually build the base vehicle for purpose and battery technology gets better the cost will come down.

Electric Motorhome

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
Pipe dreams. Based on many people I know who have electric vehicles I wouldn't even look at one. My neigjbour is on first name terms with Geeenflag who jump start his car at least once a month. Yet another costly brain dead idea similar to the gas powered engine years ago.

OP
OP
MichaelT

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2016
Pipe dreams. Based on many people I know who have electric vehicles I wouldn't even look at one. My neigjbour is on first name terms with Geeenflag who jump start his car at least once a month. Yet another costly brain dead idea similar to the gas powered engine years ago.
Interesting to know how you jump start an electric car?

Not pipe dreams but will definitely come and probably quicker than we think, seen several UPS electric delivery trucks but obviously range is the issue and having charging infrastructure in place to quickly charge batteries on the move. Solar panels and regenerative braking will of course help to extend range.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
The problems with all these vehicles is energy density , and then replacing that . Several days to recharge a 400km range other than at a 3 phase or fast charge isn't that useful in real world , and the astronomic cost for a very basic vehicle still a long way to go . Landrover had an electric version back in late 50s IIRC with a range of 50km so still a long way to go JMHO . Solar as a recharge not remotely viable on that size vehicle with further weight penalty . :(

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
At the moment batteries are too heavy, Suspensions/ Tyres etc. on cars have to be uprated ( this increases Chassis weight ( so I think you can for the foreseeable future you can forget Driving a 3500kgs Motorhome, for the over 70's and others, but there was a Program on TV some months ago where new high capacity/ Lightweight Battery Cells are being developed in this Country

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
I'm on the fence about electric vehicles. Are they really any cleaner? The waste lithium at the end of their lives reminds me of nuclear power.. Alright while operational but a big mess at the end.
Perhaps I don't have any foresight ??

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
Interesting to know how you jump start an electric car?

Not pipe dreams but will definitely come and probably quicker than we think, seen several UPS electric delivery trucks but obviously range is the issue and having charging infrastructure in place to quickly charge batteries on the move. Solar panels and regenerative braking will of course help to extend range.
It's a hybrid so when it's starter battery is flat it won't start on petrol. Brainwave idea.
I've suggested he keeps it on trickle charge but after paying a kings ransom to buy it he refuses to touch it.

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
Let us not forget, the Internal Combustion Engine was "embraced" buy the late Victorian cities because of the "massive" horse-crap 'pollution' problem

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
They will be putting NO OVER NIGHT SLEEPING signs on the charging stations. The way they are going with electric vehicles they are going to need far more charging stations. Similar problem now with Blue Badge holders, not enough parking spaces to go round.

OP
OP
MichaelT

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2016
It's a hybrid so when it's starter battery is flat it won't start on petrol. Brainwave idea.
I've suggested he keeps it on trickle charge but after paying a kings ransom to buy it he refuses to touch it.
So not an electric car then in the true sense?

OP
OP
MichaelT

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2016
Won't be any good having more charging points if they are only big enough to park a car.
That's true but f there is a shift towards electric delivery vehicles AKA white van man then they will also have to create infrastructure for them as well as HGV if at some point they also go electric? I know I would not get my MH in the electric charge bay in my local ASDA and many on the Motorway service stations also seem to be geared mainly for cars.

OP
OP
MichaelT

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2016
Let us not forget, the Internal Combustion Engine was "embraced" buy the late Victorian cities because of the "massive" horse-crap 'pollution' problem
So over a hundred years ago and we face similar issues but instead of horse crap its probably worse due to the volume of vehicles.

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
At least we're heading the right direction but, I still feel that hydrogen is the way forward.
Our production of electricity is on the increase all the time, using that electricity to produce hydrogen is beginning to make sense.
The refueling issue is negated as we drive 300 or 400 hundred miles, stop spend a few mins filling up the we're ready for the off.
The fuel of tomorrow is similar to use as the fuel of today but, with only water vapour from the exhaust.

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
I love our Nissan Leaf - completely different from my gas guzzling Jag XKR (which ~I will never sell) but it is our 'go to' vehicle for 90% of our journeys. Quiet and cheap as chips to run (4p a mile or so), no VED, £159 for an annual service and 150 miles of range. I will upgrade too the higher range one next year as we are in York and I would like to be able to comfortabkly get to Manchester and back without charging.

The leaf has every technical whizz you can imagine - what's not to like?

Sadly, can't ever see it working on a motorhome until the tech improves - there just won;'t be the necessary chargers on Aires and campo sites for many years to come

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
At least we're heading the right direction but, I still feel that hydrogen is the way forward.
Our production of electricity is on the increase all the time, using that electricity to produce hydrogen is beginning to make sense.
The refueling issue is negated as we drive 300 or 400 hundred miles, stop spend a few mins filling up the we're ready for the off.
The fuel of tomorrow is similar to use as the fuel of today but, with only water vapour from the exhaust.
Good post ... there are several trials underway with larger lorries ... it certainly looks as if it will be part of the solution

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
I love our Nissan Leaf - completely different from my gas guzzling Jag XKR (which ~I will never sell) but it is our 'go to' vehicle for 90% of our journeys. Quiet and cheap as chips to run (4p a mile or so), no VED, £159 for an annual service and 150 miles of range. I will upgrade too the higher range one next year as we are in York and I would like to be able to comfortabkly get to Manchester and back without charging.

Sadly, can't ever see it working on a motorhome until the tech improves - there just won;'t be the necessary chargers on Aires and campo sites for many years to come

If we were retired then as a second car it makes sense. It might even now but would need some planning ahead at times. You’ve planted a seed.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Good post ... there are several trials underway with larger lorries ... it certainly looks as if it will be part of the solution

Calor, are running much of their HGV fleet on LPG by dual Injection into Diesel Engines. So Using Hydrogen would not be such a great leap.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
That prototype still needs hydrocarbon based energy. Propane for the fridge, hob and presumably the heating and boiler as well. But making it 100% electric could reduce the potential range and place too high a demand on the EHU.

On the plus side, the acceleration from rest was impressive, compared with the current Diesel engine and ComfortMatic transmission equivalent.

Less impressive was the fact that the "gear knob" must have fallen off during the test drive. Noise levels seemed as loud at cruising speed.

Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
Gear knob on show display vehicle.
Switch on test drive vehicle.
Nothing had "fallen off"

Oct 30, 2016
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Le voyageur 8.5
Exp
On 3rd van so not a total newbie....
Electric vehicles are the future, I went for an electric car earlier in the year, on the whole charging is not a problem, as I charge overnight, so each morning have 220+ miles of range, this week have done 700 miles, but did have to charge away from home (thank you lidl-free charge) which has probably cost me £15 for electric for the whole week, as opposed to £100+ for petrol or diesel.
The biggest change will come with motorhomes and long distance hgvs which will need to charge remotely, so infrastructure needs to be developed for these, not an issue for white van man, as they tend to go back to base or home overnight and can charge from there.

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth

Does that 4p a mile include depreciation?

Jun 22, 2011
Onchan, Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Nov 2010 after 25 yrs under canvas.
From the Times today

"In 1899 Henry Bliss was knocked down by an electrically powered New York taxi cab. He became the first recorded fatality from an automobile accident in the US when he died the next day;"

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Does that 4p a mile include depreciation?
Nope, battery life is 10 years, cost £27k, will exchange in 3 years so lose probably £15k. 10,000 miles pa so depreciation would be 50p a n top. Servicing is negligible in that time period, add another 3p per mile.

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
A study on Electric vehicles showed they are less environmentally friendly than current vehicles , even taking on consideration fuel used and battery charging, the biggest problem and pollution was the battery, from the mining of lithium , and producing the battery, to the worst problem disposal of the lithium at end of life

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
A study on Electric vehicles showed they are less environmentally friendly than current vehicles , even taking on consideration fuel used and battery charging, the biggest problem and pollution was the battery, from the mining of lithium , and producing the battery, to the worst problem disposal of the lithium at end of life
I saw another study stating the opposite. It is true to say that it is more environmentally friendly to keep your old petrol car for a longer time Ruth an to swap it for a new one. (Another study)

Oct 30, 2016
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Le voyageur 8.5
Exp
On 3rd van so not a total newbie....
Reports will tell you whatever you want, the oil industry promote reports which claim ev's are polluting, based on using electricity produced from coal power stations, more and more electricity is now from renewables, which has minimal impact.
There is still a long way to go to produce the batteries in an environmentally friendly way, but this will come in time, it is a very new, fast developing industry.
Electric is the future....

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back