DVLA advise not to drive new Motorhome........ (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
.....because it is not showing as taxed. The dealer says that it is, and is not on the DVLA database because of a backlog...... We were hoping to go down to the South Coast for a few days this weekend, via the M4, M25 and M23, so plenty of ANPR cameras on that route! Is it worth taking the chance and driving down with ‘the dealer says that it’s taxed’ as a fall-back position if stopped, or is it too risky?!? What would Funsters do.....?

:unsure:

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
Get a letter off the dealer or a copy of their tax application.

Anyway, if not taxed you woud simply have to back-tax it.

Just go and enjoy it. ANPR is more interested in uninsured or vehicles with markers on them for crime

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
It ain’t the dealer who says if the vehicle is taxed or not.
Get a letter from dealer agreeing to pay any fines or costs incurred relating to the ved being paid or not.
Either he will say yes, in which case just go for it, if he says no, you know why !

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
If the dealer taxed it "on-line" he'll have a confirmation email - or should do. Get a copy of that.
If he did it by post, well get his written confirmation.
I'm surprised by the "backlog" statement - with on-line renewals/applications it's all but instantaneous. He's not referring to the V5 is he?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
If the dealer taxed it "on-line" he'll have a confirmation email - or should do. Get a copy of that.
If he did it by post, well get his written confirmation.
I'm surprised by the "backlog" statement - with on-line renewals/applications it's all but instantaneous. He's not referring to the V5 is he?
Often takes DVLA up to two weeks to process the registration of a new vehicle, so the vehicle wouldn't be taxed until completed.

Reactions: DBK
Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
Often takes DVLA up to two weeks to process the registration of a new vehicle, so the vehicle wouldn't be taxed until completed.
Dealers have an arrangement with DVLA I believe that means they effectively tax the vehicle whilst the paperwork goes through.

When I bought my new m/bike I sat with the dealer whilst it was taxed in my name - on line - after I had insured it - again on line.

Dealers used to issue tax discs on the day but they are no longer needed.

I would really not worry. Even in the unlikely event it is not taxed the DVLA will require it to be back-taxed from June 1st. If it's a relaible dealer they will have done it for you.

Go enjoy your holiday

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 14th year & still loving it.
The only way you will know is to contact the DVLA, I bought a brand new motorcycle last year, the bike was taxed when I picked it up.
Two months later I received a phone call from the dealer saying that my bike hadn't been registered, which prompted an immediate conversation along the lines of what on earth are you talking about, the bike has a reg number and it was taxed it online, the response was look sorry, have you received the V5, No I haven't. don't worry we've now registered the bike and we'll send you the new number plates, you'll be happy as they will now have the new a 2018 number.
Conversation continued along the lines of so I've been riding round on an unregistered, untaxed hence uninsured bike, oh not at all lied the dealer.

End result I got a new number plate, changed the number on my insurance, luckily no charge.
I was just confused and never found out how they managed to tax the bike online, the insurance didn't pick up on the bike not being registered for identity purposes.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
If you have confirmation from DVLA that you have paid , that means you paid from 1st of month of taxation ,
DVLA delay in processing is their problem not yours . They are the ones who make decision in any litigation for taxation , so it would be extremely unlikely that they would decide to act . Lack of tax does not invalidate insurance.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
The only way you will know is to contact the DVLA, I bought a brand new motorcycle last year, the bike was taxed when I picked it up.
Two months later I received a phone call from the dealer saying that my bike hadn't been registered, which prompted an immediate conversation along the lines of what on earth are you talking about, the bike has a reg number and it was taxed it online, the response was look sorry, have you received the V5, No I haven't. don't worry we've now registered the bike and we'll send you the new number plates, you'll be happy as they will now have the new a 2018 number.
Conversation continued along the lines of so I've been riding round on an unregistered, untaxed hence uninsured bike, oh not at all lied the dealer.

End result I got a new number plate, changed the number on my insurance, luckily no charge.
I was just confused and never found out how they managed to tax the bike online, the insurance didn't pick up on the bike not being registered for identity purposes.
I had the same some time ago.... Dealer had to pay £25 admin charge I got from the insurance company

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Just get the dealer to forward you something. If done online he'll have a confirming email.
Travelworld did me a printout to prove taxed.

OP
OP
AndyPK

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
I have checked on-line and spoken to Swansea (they were nice!), which is why I queried the road tax issue in the first place......so, I’ll get back onto the dealer to get confirmation. Thanks for all the comments, Funsters!

(y)

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
I got a copy of the form from the dealer and off i went
Took 6 days for it to show as registered but i knew the duty had been paid so there was NO offence
In the olden days, there was an offence of failing to display a disc, but that doesn't apply

In any case don't worry about ANPR because the “offence” is logged and processed instantly
If it is indeed NOT registered, where will they send the notice:LOL:

Just crack on and enjoy with your receipt to hand

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
.....because it is not showing as taxed. The dealer says that it is, and is not on the DVLA database because of a backlog...... We were hoping to go down to the South Coast for a few days this weekend, via the M4, M25 and M23, so plenty of ANPR cameras on that route! Is it worth taking the chance and driving down with ‘the dealer says that it’s taxed’ as a fall-back position if stopped, or is it too risky?!? What would Funsters do.....?

:unsure:

Try the DVLA website checker Below

Sorry phone call interupted post

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
Pleased to see your registration has gone through.

When my motorhome was first registered in 2015 the dealer said they would have to delay the handover if the vehicle was not registered in time, I got the impression there were all sorts of implications including insurance. I spent an anxious few days checking the gov website but fortunately it did come through in time.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
When my motorhome was first registered in 2015 the dealer said they would have to delay the handover if the vehicle was not registered in time

Surely the dealer should register it in good time ready for collection.

Something could be written into the terms if you decide not to buy so as to cover costs incurred by the dealer.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
Surely the dealer should register it in good time ready for collection.

Something could be written into the terms if you decide not to buy so as to cover costs incurred by the dealer.
It was a problem with my insurance certificate that caused the delay so not really his fault.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Most dealers only tax the vehicle as it's just about to go out. Ours was done on the day of collection - but it was the first of the month!

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
Most dealers only tax the vehicle as it's just about to go out. Ours was done on the day of collection - but it was the first of the month!

New imported motorhomes can not be registered online at the last minute. I think the dealer has to submit the Certificate of Conformity and proof that duty such as VAT has been paid with the registration application.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
What is this "Road Tax" you folks are referring to? :giggler:

JJ :cool:

Somthing I understand was conceived by (I think WS Churchill) a Transport minister circa 1930?. With the SOLE intention of paying for new roads and the upkeep thereof. Subsequently high-jacked by thieving Chancellors, as a means by which to make the motoring public pay for his governments latest "Ponzi" scheme. :D

SOME. Members of the motoring public by way of being "itinerant" have managed to avoid such.:cool:

• Informative
Reactions: JJ

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Just drive it , they know the new vehicles take time to process, I had to pay for three DAYS extra because it was from the day of registration on the 29th May plus the full year at £165.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back