Ducato Euro 4 engine oil (2 Viewers)

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
The engine is a Fiat 3 litre, 160 multijet, built 2008 (Euro 4).

Just had service done and they've filled with 5W-30 fully synthetic engine oil.

Fiat handbook recommends 5W-40, semi-synthetic.

The 5W-30 fully synthetic oil seems to be specified for Fiat Euro 5 engines. This oil seems very thin. I mainly use the vehicle in warmer climes so would prefer a 5W-40 oil.

I've read about modern fully synthetic oils being used with the earlier 2.8 JTD engine, resulting in oil leaks at the seals.

Am I worrying unnecessarily. What do other funsters use with this engine ?

PS. The 5W-40 semi-synthetic oil seems to be difficult to source and more expensive than the fully synthetic equivalent.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Don't know about oil leaks although I have heard the reports.
I'd get garage to put the correct oil in.
Did they tell you, oh by the way we put the wrong oil in ???
Cheeky bu##ers !

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
If it was an independent garage it would be bulk tank oil and everyone gets the same unless you either specify, at a premium price, or provide your own oil.
The garage won't stock a dozen different oils which may be used sometimes.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Wagoneer
Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
Don't know about oil leaks although I have heard the reports.
I'd get garage to put the correct oil in.
Did they tell you, oh by the way we put the wrong oil in ???
Cheeky bu##ers !

I only found out today after emailing them to ask what type of oil they used. This was so I would know what oil to top-up with between services.

My suspicions were triggered when I checked the dipstick and noticed the oil looked very thin.

OP
OP
Wagoneer
Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
If it was an independent garage it would be bulk tank oil and everyone gets the same unless you either specify, at a premium price, or provide your own oil.
The garage won't stock a dozen different oils which may be used sometimes.

That's interesting, thanks. It was serviced by a water company who obviously run a fleet of commercial vehicles. No doubt most of their vehicles are fairly new so will have bulk oil suitable for their current fleet.

I've used this company for a number of years. The previous time I enquired about grade of oil used, was told 5W-40 semi-synthetic which is what my handbook recommends.

OP
OP
Wagoneer
Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
Update. Since posting, I've received some quite encouraging advice from the outandabout forum about engine oils to use for the Euro 4 engine (2007 to 2011).

Derek Uzzell and Nick Fisher (MMM resident base vehicle expert, especially Fiat) have advised that the use of 5W-30 fully synthetic is a satisfactory alternative to the 5W-40 semi-synthetic oil as recommended in the user manual.

In fact, Nick who recently ran a fleet of Fiat vans has been using 5W-30 fully synthetic in Euro 4 engines for quite a few years now without any oil leak problems.

Thought I'd just share for the benifit of Funsters.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back