Ducato 9 Speed Auto Gearbox Overheating (1 Viewer)

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
My Honda Insight Hybrid CVT is just coming up to 200k miles after 14 years of ownership from new. It has not missed a beat. My favourite ever car for never having any money spent except on servicing and consumables. Did 1000 miles to Germany and back in October. I guess it will fail soon but it does not owe me anything. I hope my new EV camper is as reliable!
What EV camper have you got/getting?

Dec 31, 2010
Sunny South Shields
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010
According to this write up I didn't realise the 9HP was built 100% in America, also it might answer the question why Chrysler have had problems with the box as they make their own 9HP under license themselves so could this be the reason for reliability issues?

Broken Link Removed

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2022
Norfolk Broads
Funster No
MH
Adria
Exp
I would like to add to the original thread, I had exactly the same issue in southern Germany in September. It was fine once cooled down, then drove about 700 miles home without further incident. Booked in with local fiat professionals and they apparently had to wait around 4 weeks for a special tool to check the gearbox level!. Once checked they said it was half a litre low, they topped it up after checking quality of oil & carried out some sort of update. No further faults & have done another 1500 miles so far (currently in Spain) fingers crossed 🙄

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 19, 2013
Cabbunk Central
Funster No
MH
Carado T459
Exp
Not long enough!
Not wanting to divert the thread, but the mention of hail took me back to 2013 when these rascals caused millions of Euros damage in the town we lived in in Germany. Luckily we were between campers at the time but the damage to our Ford S-Max was pretty hideous.
View attachment 847546
Wow! Dethleffs factory was affected with all motorhomes awaiting delivery! The insurers paid out but insisted they 'roof' all stock storage areas! (Acres of roofs!!)

Feb 19, 2020
North Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670SC
Exp
I would like to add to the original thread, I had exactly the same issue in southern Germany in September. It was fine once cooled down, then drove about 700 miles home without further incident. Booked in with local fiat professionals and they apparently had to wait around 4 weeks for a special tool to check the gearbox level!. Once checked they said it was half a litre low, they topped it up after checking quality of oil & carried out some sort of update. No further faults & have done another 1500 miles so far (currently in Spain) fingers crossed 🙄
4 weeks for a tool!!! Couldn't they drain and measure how much came out then put it back in?

Jul 29, 2021
Halesowen, UK
Funster No
MH
Bürstner Lyseo Time
Exp
2022!
Just updating everyone on the ZF replacement gearbox for our new (8 months old) Sonic. I had a surprise message on 4th January saying the gearbox had arrived. The techies had started prepping the vehicle the day before (3rd Jan.), and on the 5th I got another message saying the vehicle was ready for collection. I picked it up on Monday 8th and have given it a couple of short test runs over the past week, probably covering a couple of hundred miles, and I'm pleased that all seems well. Long may that continue (he says with fingers crossed!).
The next hurdle will be to update the maps on the Uconnect 10 - a task that I started looking into 4 months ago when the vehicle broke down!

Jul 29, 2021
Halesowen, UK
Funster No
MH
Bürstner Lyseo Time
Exp
2022!
Hi all. You might remember I picked up a new Sonic last May, after waiting 18 months. Five thousand miles later, in Aug. '23, the ZF9-speed gearbox failed in Belgium. The vehicle was off the road for 4 months, and a new gearbox was fitted in January this year. If that wasn't bad enough on a brand new vehicle, it's just happened again. Less than a mile away from the house, whilst heading for France last Thursday, exactly the same symptoms kicked in and the vehicle now languishes in the pound at the Fiat Professional dealership once more. The techies are at a loss as to why this has happened yet again. Come on Fiat! What's wrong with you? The vehicle isn't a year old yet!!!

125BEER

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 5, 2018
PLYMOUTH
Funster No
MH
BENIMAR MILEO 282
Exp
Since 09 2018
Sorry for your yet another failure but do you know what happened to the original box they replaced...?

Cheers🍻

Jul 29, 2021
Halesowen, UK
Funster No
MH
Bürstner Lyseo Time
Exp
2022!
Sorry for your yet another failure but do you know what happened to the original box they replaced...?

Cheers🍻
Hi 125BEER. That's the million dollar question. The techies that carried out the gearbox replacement (and analysis) didn't know what had gone wrong with the original box, and Fiat claimed to not know either. Still a mystery.

ElGato

Free Member
May 14, 2024
Funster No
MH
Carthargo Chic C
Been meaning g to update this thread for a few weeks & keep forgetting.
He got back from Spain by driving for 1½ to 2 hours then resting for ½ hour that way got back without any problems.

It went back to Fiat Professional dealers, they then diagnosed it was a faulty solenoid as it was out of warranty when the fault occurred but the gearbox under fill was found Fiat would pay for parts and he would have to pay for labour. Quite a big bill as most of the front of the van had to come off.

After the repair they took it for a test drive and it went wrong.
So now they have changed the gearbox, the torque converter & the gearbox ECU.
So it's fingers crossed.
Jesus I’m having kittens at the thought right now… 🤢

ElGato

Free Member
May 14, 2024
Funster No
MH
Carthargo Chic C
Hi Lenny
We have a six month old Rapido 8086DF on a Fiat chassis with the much vaunted Fiat 9 speed auto box. Maiden voyage last month (June 2023) we drove all the way down to Dubrovnik in Croatia. About 1700miles. Just out of Dubrovnik, the red gearbox warning light comes on, then the yellow 'gearbox oil overheating' light comes on. We then lose power, engine is racing and we're going nowhere. Managed to limp off a busy road and called Fiat Camper Assist. It was a Sunday. After waiting about an hour to talk to someone who could speak English, we were told that as it was a Sunday, they couldn't help us as they don't work on Sundays. Unbelievable. He suggested we stay put till the next day when they would send a recovery truck. It was 35 degrees C. We're parked in a difficult spot, partially blocking access to a busy garage.
So we ignored this advice. I tried to start the engine and it fired up and the gearbox lights stayed off, although the amber 'check engine' warning light stayed on. We set off again and this became the pattern, red light, the yellow gearbox oil overheating light, stop the van for a while then set off.
We were planning on staying in Europe for another month, but Fiat camper Assist were useless; in fact we got no support at all. It took them 5 days to even call us back, and that was only because an excellent lady at Brownhills beat them up.
Thanks to her, we got an appointment with a Fiat Professional garage. They ran diagnostics and confirmed the problem lay with the Torque Converter due to insufficient oil in the gearbox. However, they could do nothing about it and suggest we get the van back to our UK dealer (Brownhills). They confirmed that in their opinion, the van would be OK to drive back to the UK.
So we cut short our holiday ( we had planned to tour for another month), and limped back to Blighty. The van is waiting to go back to Brownhills for repair.
To say we're disappointed is a mega understatement. Things go wrong, we accept that, but the total lack of back up on a brand new van's Breakdown Assist is unacceptable. Also, how can there be 'insufficient oil' in a new gearbox?
So it seems your friend is not alone.
What was the eventual outcome?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back