Nov 14, 2020
S.Yorks
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SP
Exp
20 yr
It's a simple question:

If you left some sheets of paper in a cupboard in you MH for the entire winter, how dry would you expect them to be come spring ?

Maybe answer won't be so simple ?
_

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I leave paper books & notepads in over winter and never found them damp or any sign they have ever been damp.
No heat just ventilation
Loads of books in ours as well, never a problem.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
paper maps, notebooks, van documents , manuals, bedding, etc all left on the van 24/7 - 365 .... they don't get damp ..

no heat, just ventilation ..

if the van is getting damp inside .. you have a leak somewhere

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I have a small plastic tub and shelves with information leaflets and flyers, books, receipts, town tourist pamphlets, plus all upholstery, bedding, towels etc. No heat, just ventilation and doors and windows wide open for a couple of hours in winter, in the drive on fine days.

Mar 30, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Suntor 590RL
Notepad, crossword books, loo paper, kitchen roll and a file folder of van/ electrical items paperwork.
Left in the van 12 months of the year, no heating, all always bone dry.

OP
OP
Marauder
Nov 14, 2020
S.Yorks
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SP
Exp
20 yr
Thanks folks

Tho, perhaps obviously, not the answers I was hoping for. I previously mentioned corrosion on back of consumer 12v panel.
But the papers were on opposite side of van, and felt on the verge of soggy (walls inside the cupboard did not even feel damp).

Habcheck from last year, a few month before I bought van, said "all readings below 15%". I even rang the tester before van purchase to ask specifics of testing, he said "damptest readings every 60cm". Tester had even handwritten "nice van" on last page of the HC report.

Hard to understand the situation I'm in. Maybe it makes a difference if habcheck is done in period of hot dry weather.

Bought van through MotorHomeDepot, and now realise their 'broker' approach means I have no warranty, which I would have had with a dealer.

So I guess all this means I just have to soak it up..

Although, on the bright side, I found the water pump ! It's in the water tank. Probably the first place I should have looked. But i've pulled the connector off it so no more random activation waking me in the night.

Still a bit gutted tho.

And to cap it all, got to van yesterday to find one of my brand new BridgeStone Duravis completely flat - like a melted pool on the floor !
Slightly surprised at how thin & weedy tyre walls look.

Is a plug repair acceptable on 55/60 psi tyres ?

Boo Hoo
_

Mar 18, 2015
Burrough on the Hill, Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 886f
Exp
Since 2014
I read somewhere, yonks ago, that old newspapers were the best thing for "dehumidifying" as they readily absorb moisture from the air. I think the article was in relation to condensation on house windows and a "don't waste money buying those plastic box things" that are advetised.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Only if it's a mushroom plug and has been vulcanised on the inside.
Otherwise only as a tempory repair to get you to a garage.

If its been flat for more than an hour or two the sidewall will be bu**ered so I would fit a new tyre.

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
If you want a plastic box use an old ice cream type container half full of salt job done

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
If you have random activation on your water pump you may have a leak somewhere. Hopefully it's just an air bubble somewhere but best to have it checked out.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Is a plug repair acceptable on 55/60 psi tyres ?
Depends what you mean by 'plug repair'
If it's a mushroom plug from the inside then yes
If it's a simple rubber 'rod' glued and pushed in from the outside then no
They should only be used in an emergency to get you to a repairers and may not be legal in any case..

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
I would expect some moisture in the paper. There always is. However it should not be detectable by touch or feel. Maybe 1 or 2%0at a guess would be ok..anything more you have a problem. I leave maps and magazines in ours for months. Never noticed them to be damp.

Feb 14, 2022
Sheffield, UK
Funster No
MH
Nissan NV400 self bu
I put a couple of those dehumidifier containers in ours months ago, the ones that fill with water drawn from the atmosphere, not a single drop after a month. Put them in our house kitchen and living room and they certainly removed moisture, full after a couple of weeks.

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
When we get home after a trip everything comes out. And i mean everything, mattresses excluded.

OP
OP
Marauder
Nov 14, 2020
S.Yorks
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SP
Exp
20 yr
I put a couple of those dehumidifier containers in ours months ago,
Thanks for that - how can I find some - can you send a link or brand etc ?
_

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun