Drug taking (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Sep 11, 2020
Funster No
MH
Fiat Lunar
Exp
I’m a newbie
Hi ,everyone my query is this we are planning a 80/ 90 day tour in Europe. As we are getting on a bit we are both on prescription,s , so how do manage to get 3 month,s worth of your doctor as we have been told they will do only 2 month,s worth . Many thank,s in advance .

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
If your GP won't do 3 months then you need to order in advance. If you have time a few days early every two months so that you get to the point where you have enough medication. If you can time things you could re-order 2 months when you still have a month's supply left. Just don't make it a habit to stockpile.

I have found that my GP will do an "extra" prescription if I ask. I get the first prescription filled and then a week or so later get the second done at a different pharmacy.

If you forget to take your meds with you your GP can fax an emergency prescription to a pharmacy out of your home area but that is probably UK only.

I have no personal experience but have been told that some GPs will do a private prescription for a period of longer than 2 months.

Aug 9, 2016
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Scout
Exp
Since 2016
Hi ,everyone my query is this we are planning a 80/ 90 day tour in Europe. As we are getting on a bit we are both on prescription,s , so how do manage to get 3 month,s worth of your doctor as we have been told they will do only 2 month,s worth . Many thank,s in advance .
Hi, our GP provided three months worth on NHS prescription and then a paid for two month private prescription for the remaining meds. Had to pay for the 2 months of meds but for us it wasn't expensive. Perhaps ask your doc if they can do the same.

GerTee

LIFE MEMBER
May 9, 2016
Near Fareham
Funster No
MH
Burstner iXeo
Exp
Since 2016 - UK & Europe
We always make an appointment to speak to our GP so we can explain why 3 months supply is needed. Never had a problem getting that amount, at the end of the day they have a duty of care to ensure you have uninterrupted meds

Sep 13, 2016
Okehampton
Funster No
MH
Swift Mondial
Exp
Since 2016
Ours will give 3 months max. If you are away more than 3 months they will deregister from their surgery. NHS rules apparently

Oct 27, 2017
Perth
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2014
I asked for 3 months, instead of the usual 2 months. The prescription delivered was good for 4 months!

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
My GP prescribes 3 months at a time, I can request my prescription on line, but if I need it early because i'll be away then I have to explain that in my request.

OP
OP
L
Sep 11, 2020
Funster No
MH
Fiat Lunar
Exp
I’m a newbie
Thank,s everyone made my 1st request by phone. Will go to medical centre in person (with a club)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
We always make an appointment to speak to our GP so we can explain why 3 months supply is needed. Never had a problem getting that amount, at the end of the day they have a duty of care to ensure you have uninterrupted meds
How on earth do you get to see a doctor to discuss meds.
You can't get a physical 'face to face' appointment when you're ill at my doctor's.

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
Depends on your meds but most Spanish Farmacia will sell you the drugs provided you can produce a UK prescribed packet with your details on. Not a pharmacist or Dr but it has worked in the past and cheaper than the UK was

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Depends on your meds but most Spanish Farmacia will sell you the drugs provided you can produce a UK prescribed packet with your details on.
I bought blood pressure tabs in France for one of my forgetful biker chums by just showing the pharmacist the empty box. They weren't dear either.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Depends on the drugs but I get my Amlodopine and Elanaprill (Blood pressure) for peanuts in spain over the counter
Last time i needed some ezetemibe (cholesterol non statin) and losartan potassium, in Spain it cost me over 30Euros for a pack of each. Had previously found them at a reasonable cost.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Legally GPs are allowed to give you a prescription for 3 months worth on the NHS and some will give you a private prescription for 3 months worth but that can be expensive. As most of us have found who are on repeat prescriptions you can order early, depends who set the system up in the first place on how early!

You won’t be deregistered after 3 months, this is nonsense, nor 6 months for that matter. They don’t have time to trawl through records hunting for “ghost” patients and there is no automatic connection between the NHS records and Passport control. Goodness knows where that idea has come from, makes me laugh:giggle:

shrek snr

Free Member
Jun 27, 2021
Orpington, UK
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
I have not been able to see my GP for 3years ,but order my meds via NHS app and collect from the chemist or get delivered. Have managed build up a supply to cover when we are away.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 22, 2018
South East but not London
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Five years plus three tugging
Looking forward to being able to take three months off ::bigsmile: , but in the past if I am running out and due to go away, a quick email or call to the GP will suffice. I found that by using the Lloyds postal service, I can order early and the GP is fine with that after a phone call or email.

Can still see a GP on the day I phone, sometimes, even my own. Or at least get one to phone me. Clearly luckier than most.

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
And again, all different.
Ours would only give 2 months after applying for 3. I did not chase it up as i knew i could purchase mine over the counter in Dubai.
They are only on prescription in UK.

Sep 13, 2016
Okehampton
Funster No
MH
Swift Mondial
Exp
Since 2016
You won’t be deregistered after 3 months, this is nonsense, nor 6 months for that matter. They don’t have time to trawl through records hunting for “ghost” patients and there is no automatic connection between the NHS records and Passport control. Goodness knows where that idea has come from, makes me laugh:giggle:
Our health centre has told me that if we are away for more than 3 months they will deregister us. I don’t know how they will know, but have been told on a number of occasions, so can only believe what I have been told.

Sep 13, 2016
Okehampton
Funster No
MH
Swift Mondial
Exp
Since 2016
Found this online, guess our health centre is quoting this;

 NHS COMMISSIONING – What does the GP contract say?
13.14. Removals from the list of patients absent from the United Kingdom etc.
13.14.1. The Board shall remove a patient from the Contractor’s list of patients where it receives notification that that patient-
(a) intends to be away from the United Kingdom for a period of at least three months;
(b) is in the armed forces of the Crown (except in the case of a patient to whom clause 13.5A applies; (c) is serving a prison sentence of more than two years or sentences totalling in the aggregate more than that period;
(d) has been absent from the United Kingdom for a period of more than three months; or
(e) has died.

We I’ve in a rapidly expanding town of around 10000 people and growing with a much wider catchment for NHS services, we had 2 surgeries, they closed one of them; we had a new hospital built 20 yers ago, they closed it, nearest now 26 miles away; we had a maternity unit, they closed it, nearest one 26 miles; we had a minor injuries unit, now only 9-5 Monday to Friday, nearest A&E 26 miles.

Apologies for the rant!

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Found this online, guess our health centre is quoting this;

 NHS COMMISSIONING – What does the GP contract say?
13.14. Removals from the list of patients absent from the United Kingdom etc.
13.14.1. The Board shall remove a patient from the Contractor’s list of patients where it receives notification that that patient-
(a) intends to be away from the United Kingdom for a period of at least three months;
(b) is in the armed forces of the Crown (except in the case of a patient to whom clause 13.5A applies; (c) is serving a prison sentence of more than two years or sentences totalling in the aggregate more than that period;
(d) has been absent from the United Kingdom for a period of more than three months; or
(e) has died.

We I’ve in a rapidly expanding town of around 10000 people and growing with a much wider catchment for NHS services, we had 2 surgeries, they closed one of them; we had a new hospital built 20 yers ago, they closed it, nearest now 26 miles away; we had a maternity unit, they closed it, nearest one 26 miles; we had a minor injuries unit, now only 9-5 Monday to Friday, nearest A&E 26 miles.

Apologies for the rant!
I know that’s the law and has been for many years but I can assure you no one has the time or the interest to put it into practice. The parameters of the search would be really narrow and you’d have to run it every month to pick up a tiny number of patients for no financial gain to the practice. Please don’t worry. Enjoy your hols.

If your practice only lets you have 2 months then do like the rest of us and order early, work the system. I’m a retired GP. I went back to work over Covid and I can assure you that GPs aren’t kept awake at night over a few prescriptions! I’m very glad to be retired, their job is dreadful now.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
I know that’s the law and has been for many years but I can assure you no one has the time or the interest to put it into practice. The parameters of the search would be really narrow and you’d have to run it every month to pick up a tiny number of patients for no financial gain to the practice. Please don’t worry. Enjoy your hols.

If your practice only lets you have 2 months then do like the rest of us and order early, work the system. I’m a retired GP. I went back to work over Covid and I can assure you that GPs aren’t kept awake at night over a few prescriptions! I’m very glad to be retired, their job is dreadful now.
Unfortunately there are many jobs that are no longer fun to do and highly stressful due to management. I’m sure that you have helped many people over the years and most will be grateful for the role you did and a lot will be sad you retired. The same was for our practice the team did a fantastic job and offered all sorts of services, only to have funding cuts to be taken over by Virgin health and then the practice started to have lots of complaints. I’m sure some management somewhere believed based on funding cuts they were doing the right thing but we are as a community poorer for it.

One can only hope things will change and better conditions will prevail again.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
My daughter has been living in Thailand for 9 years, had two babies out there and is still registered with our local GP.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
How on earth do you get to see a doctor to discuss meds.
You can't get a physical 'face to face' appointment when you're ill at my doctor's.

There is a pharmacist working from our GP practice now and you can get telephone, video and face-to-face appointments most days. She can do the Rx for the Dr to sign.

Having said that my GP is lovely and has already told me that when my personal situation settles down I need to have a long holiday and she will ensure I have the meds I need as there will be a computer glitch which will double print the prescription. My previous GP used to do that frequently as he was not (at his own admission) totally confident with the computer system. If the printer didn't respond instantly he would hit the print button again!!!!

Can still see a GP on the day I phone, sometimes, even my own. Or at least get one to phone me. Clearly luckier than most.

Same here if I don't mind which GP it is. I also have a code word to use if I have an urgent need to speak with and then maybe see my own GP. I'v e only used the code word once in over 20 years - and that resulted in a blue light trip down to Newcastle.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back