Driving in windy conditions (1 Viewer)

Jan 12, 2021
Funster No
MH
CV40 Van conversion
just wondering what people think about driving in windy conditions. I have a Compass CV40 , do I need to worry about strong winds? What are current owners experiences ?

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
Motorhomes carry most of their weight low down so probably not a major problem. We were parked behind a pub on cliff top near Brighton in a real gale, rocked so much in the middle of the night we moved into the lee if the pub. Still blowing in the morning, unsure if safe to drive. Then a double decker bus drove by!
So we set off, hardly noticed the wind despite seeing the trees rolling about

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
The CV40 is only a PVC so you won't have any trouble it won't be much worse than driving a car.
If really worried about it get air suspension fitted, our van used to really rock on exposed French roads when artics coming the other way passed us. Since having full air suspension fitted it's rock solid, expensive but worth every penny.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
We have just the air assist on the rear axle which make a much steady ride than the standard rear setup, plus I have the controls for our air assist on the dash and I can stiffen up the suspension if needed for windy conditions on the move.

Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
I noticed a fairly big difference in the van (a Boxer L3H2) compared with the car (Hyundai i20) when driving in the wind. It's not been windy enough to stop me yet. But I've not had it that long and most of the time I've had it we've been grounded by the pandemic. I just slow down and take it steady.

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
Don't really notice the wind when driving our 8.0m long x 3.0m high low-line. Drop down stabilisers help a lot to reduce rocking when parked up. Seen 70mph gusts quite happily although the satellite dish collapsed at about 30mph when I forgot to retract it :(

Jan 25, 2013
Dorchester, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Sad former owner
Exp
Since 1991
My smallish coach built is a bit skittish in windy conditions; the worst time was coming back from Tarifa in southern Spain on a very exposed road where doing more than 40 mph was dangerous. No wonder the hillsides were full of wind turbines spinning away merrily!

Aug 17, 2019
Highlands
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
5 years
No problem with our CV 40 in the wind slight bit of buffeting but nothing that lifting your foot wont cure.
Any pictures of the new van.

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
Our Rienza is quite slab sided and we have had a couple of interesting drives in high wind. We were in Norfolk for storm Dennis and the high winds last September.
On a couple of occasions between Boston and Kings Lynn were the A16 /A17 crosses the fens we have been battered by high winds. The biggest problem was when a truck passed in the other direction. The sudden stop in the buffeting caused a bit of interesting handling.
Take you’re time and ignore the idiots that want to push past you.

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
A relaxed the grip on the steering wheel is the key, if you react to a gust you start overcompensating and the wobbles set in, just let the van be *blown* in reality no more than a few inches and no problem, when you grip the wheel and over compensate the problems arise, a bit disconcerting at first but it does work

Phileas Fogg

Free Member
Apr 27, 2014
west of the tamar
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Newer Sprinter based vans have sidewind assist, we have it on ours and high winds present no problem so assume it is doing what it is supposed to do! Do Fiat / Peugeots have that as well?

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Whether or not it’s a problem rather depends on how strong the wind is. There’ll be a point where it is a problem. The trick is not having to drive under those circumstances. 😎

Ian

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
The last time we came back from Cromer the site started emptying on the Saturday but we said it can’t last all weekend. By Sunday morning we were one of the only ones left on site.
The open bits on the way back didn’t seem too bad as it was mostly head on. When we got north of the Wolds the wind changed direction then it was a fight for the rest of the journey.
We couldn’t stay on the site and had to come back to rescue Muttly from our daughters.
I didn’t check the fuel consumption but we seemed to use more fuel than normal.

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
When I doing recovery work my Transit 190 petrol with an 18 ft trailer loaded with a Granada Estate on it used a full tank of petrol between Grimsby and Rotherham. It was a bit windy but the hill south of the A1 on the M18 had me down to second gear with my foot planted to the floor.

Grummyb

Free Member
Dec 31, 2020
Corby
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since about 2013
I love this site the op was a question about driving in strong winds which has a dead simple answer if your not comfortable with the driving conditions stop and wait till the bad weather has subsided,
But all of a sudden we have people bleating on about mpg or having to go back and rescue a dog or bigwood going on about a transit petrol (2 litre v4 I suspect) with a Granada on the trailer no of which are helpful or informative for the original question but it is just like being in the pub at closing time on a Friday night

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I love this site the op was a question about driving in strong winds which has a dead simple answer if your not comfortable with the driving conditions stop and wait till the bad weather has subsided,
But all of a sudden we have people bleating on about mpg or having to go back and rescue a dog or bigwood going on about a transit petrol (2 litre v4 I suspect) with a Granada on the trailer no of which are helpful or informative for the original question but it is just like being in the pub at closing time on a Friday night
I see you are a Newby on here, lighten up its a Fun forum all threads go off topic at some point, all adds to the fun.

Grummyb

Free Member
Dec 31, 2020
Corby
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since about 2013
I'm a newby on here Lenny but I'm an old hand at off topic conversations at closing time on a friday night

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
Sorry if I took things out of line. It was a 2 litre Pinto engine not the V4.
As said its sometimes better to wait out storms and high winds if you can. Unfortunately last time we had to travel but left a day early so we could take our time and stop more often.
Were we were pitched on the site must have been the highest point on the North Norfolk coast. It was the last pitch when we booked. Had we been able to stay we would have moved to a more sheltered pitch.

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
All of what you have written is true. It’s brilliant isn’t it? For me it’s one of the best things about this forum. I love how threads drift off course and I have learned loads of stuff by reading threads I initially thought don’t interest me.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006

All of what you have written is true. It’s brilliant isn’t it? For me it’s one of the best things about this forum. I love how threads drift off course and I have learned loads of stuff by reading threads I initially thought don’t interest me.

Oi! You missed the opportunity to call him out on his negativity! 😉🤣🤣🤣🤣

Ian😎

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
We have a PVC and I’m not a nervous driver at all. I’ve only once been really scared in high winds and that was driving from Bilbao to Santander to catch the ferry, I was really fighting to keep the van steady on bits. There were a few accidents. If I hadn’t been heading for the ferry I wouldn’t have carried on .
The crossing was fine fortunately once we got away from land.

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
Oi! You missed the opportunity to call him out on his negativity! 😉🤣🤣🤣🤣

Ian😎
That’s because I wasn’t really sure he/ she was. If they are being negative then it doesn’t matter what I say they’ll find something that’s not right😂🥃🤭🤔

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
In a PVC you'll be fine in most normal to high winds. Just accept it isn't a performance vehicle, and won't handle like a car, so drive to the conditions being prepared to slow down a little - but to be honest even on motorways I find 65mph is more than enough in normal conditions or the mpg really starts to suffer. If they are saying on the traffic reports that they are closing bridges to high sided vehicles, that is the time to worry ....

In Sept 2019 I went up to the tip of Scotland. It was very very blowy. The van was new to me, by about a month, and I've never driven anything close to this size before. You just had to stay aware and give yourself a bit of space. Choose your timing if you are going to go past a heavy vehicle on the motorway as they might be giving shelter as you pass and then you feel the gust. Similarly they might need space to react. It's the unsheltered viadict type spaces you need to take most care. As I crossed the Kessok Bridge to the Moray Firth, the bus in front on the bridge effectively drove down the centre line of the carriageway so he had space to adjust. But my Ducato felt quite fine, perhaps because we were at a sensible speed.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back