Drivers Seat - Comfort (1 Viewer)

Jun 5, 2020
New Forest, United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-I 414
Exp
4 years, travelling to Greece each year and exploring on the way and back
Thanks PeterC, will do. For clarity, the comfort of the seat, although important, is secondary to the issue of eye line given we will be doing lots of miles; my partner doesnt want to be crouching down for hours and getting out of the cab looking like Quasimido.
Fully aware re licensing issues for son, and if we get one over 3500 kg, he will do his test. From research we have done so far, payload is a right can of worms and is very much on our minds as a key consideration.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Thanks PeterC, will do. For clarity, the comfort of the seat, although important, is secondary to the issue of eye line given we will be doing lots of miles; my partner doesnt want to be crouching down for hours and getting out of the cab looking like Quasimido.
Fully aware re licensing issues for son, and if we get one over 3500 kg, he will do his test. From research we have done so far, payload is a right can of worms and is very much on our minds as a key consideration.
Sounds like you are already on the ball. Sorry for trying to teach you how to suck eggs. :blusher:

I much prefer the view out of an A class, which is one of the many reasons why we have got one. As somebody once said on this forum, driving a C class is like looking out of your letterbox rather then your patio doors in comparison with the view from an A class. But not everybody likes them, and they are certainly more expensive than their equivalent C class.

Jun 5, 2020
New Forest, United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-I 414
Exp
4 years, travelling to Greece each year and exploring on the way and back
No, all advice gratefully received Peter, and I love your letterbox analogy! Love the A class vans, and if we could find one that fitted the bill, without being too huge we would certainly go for one.

OP
OP
Archie H
Jun 26, 2012
Claypole, Near Newark
Funster No
MH
WildAx Elara
Exp
So are you referring to a PVC (panel van conversion)? If so most C class and A class motorhomes are based upon exactly the same Fiat Ducato van you have, it just depends how much of the body and chassis is taken away. The seating position (as opposed to the height) is in the same place when compared with the front wheels, pedals, steering wheel, dashboard and footwell.

But it is no good blaming Fiat for the converters choice of seats. The standard Ducato is a commercial van designed for short/medium trips, mainly by couriers, (think Amazon/DPD/Yodel etc), not 4 hour driving stints. Most motorhome converters buy the Ducato without seats and fit more comfortable ones.

Peter,
I was referring to C Class. Yes this is a chassis cab delivered to Dethleffs for them to add their box to complete the vehicle and as I stated standard van seats. However, I don't consider £60k-ish cheap and would have thought a more comfortable seat could have been provided. The purpose of the van is to travel therefore this suggests longer stints behind the wheel. I never had trouble with my Ford Tranny Hymer seats either even though they were a bit higher than the standard panel van seats due to the swivel base. Same with the Fiat.. The issue is not the seat frame but lies with the seat back foam shape and as Lenny alluded to a few simple mods can be applied to aid /modify the profile and overall comfort.

The Dethleffs Eurostyle Trend is a great vehicle otherwise so to anyone considering it don't be put off by my views.

Thanks for the input.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Yes this is a chassis cab delivered to Dethleffs for them to add their box to complete the vehicle and as I stated standard van seats.
I think someone said earlier that the constructor can specify the cab without seats, so that they can add better ones. The Dethleffs site says “Dethleffs therefore employs Captain Chair Pilote seats for driver and front passenger” so the seats are not necessarily Fiat standard ones.

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Peter,
I was referring to C Class. Yes this is a chassis cab delivered to Dethleffs for them to add their box to complete the vehicle and as I stated standard van seats. However, I don't consider £60k-ish cheap and would have thought a more comfortable seat could have been provided. The purpose of the van is to travel therefore this suggests longer stints behind the wheel. I never had trouble with my Ford Tranny Hymer seats either even though they were a bit higher than the standard panel van seats due to the swivel base. Same with the Fiat.. The issue is not the seat frame but lies with the seat back foam shape and as Lenny alluded to a few simple mods can be applied to aid /modify the profile and overall comfort.

The Dethleffs Eurostyle Trend is a great vehicle otherwise so to anyone considering it don't be put off by my views.

Thanks for the input.
Are you sure they are "standard" Fiat van seats? If you look at the seats shown on the Dethleffs website for the Trend version they do not look like the ones<Broken link removed>in the large Ducato vans, which are said to have a hydraulic spring and damping system. Also the standard seat in a Fiat Ducato van does not swivel, As I have said before most converters buy the chassis cab without seats and fit their own, and that certainly seems to be the case here.

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
No I have not checked the standard van seats.
This what they look like
Interior_hotspot8_desktop.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back