Driverless motorhomes (3 Viewers)

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
And when the batteries run out, you Sir, are survivor.

Sat navs in vehicles usually are plugged in to the vehicles electrics, so as long as my engine is running and for a couple of hours after it is switched off, I am still a survivor. Indeed I could happily survive without a sat nav just as thousands of others could. I just choose to use it as an aid

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
On the other hand, for those not obsessed by maps............it's an individual choice each to their own.
thats the good thing in life we have choices .
so long as we do i,m happy.
i do wonder though when i hear of some that get a list of sat nav coordinates. etc and just follow what some one else says is good . i,m sure some never even look at a map at all. just book a ferry use sat nav and off they go. or tell it they want go to such and such. never really know where it is or where they are in the world. but their choice . so long as they enjoy it thats fine .
i still play at going and coming back from our local towns , use different routes, find the long way. i,m still a kid at heart.

BMM

Free Member
May 26, 2017
Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I'm a Newbie
@vwalan I think I just found your mobile phone
very-old-phone-8374670.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
@vwalan I think I just found your mobile phone
View attachment 171672
no, i dont have one like that . dont even have a landline .
my little nokia is coming to an end , battery life failling .
i have had mobile phones since the early 90,s . mind the first was car mounted the size of a concrete brick.
i do like modern technology, have a sourio computer diagnostic for cars and trucks here that i bought in the late 80,s . can be updated easily .
some things are amazing .
i know having solar panels ,inverters and washing machines and freezers in the sahara desert worked for free are like being lost in space.
but i do like maps . my choice .

Oct 26, 2016
kent
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance 810G
Exp
since 2003
Interesting how would your insurance work I suppose u could argue well I wasn't driving the motorhome it had the accident not me officer.:whistle:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
motorhome with an optional bar. It'd be a bit like a booze cruise. (y)

Ohhhhh, can of worms time - who in charger of a driverless car ?

DAMN - old thread, I've already said this but at least I'm consistent.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I'd never own one I drive because I like to control my own vehicle I hate being driven and dislike buses and trains

I also think all this technology is all well and good but the unemployment it causes is not good. I even refuse to use self service checkouts in shops

If the government really does want all the people off benefits and in to jobs surely someone somewhere needs to think yes we can make every job easier and cost effective but should we because all that happens is the people who did those jobs end up redundant and some fat cat ends up with more money than they will ever possibly need.

I don't understand that

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
have a couple of times been in mates campers etc and they have had sat navs on .
i finf them annoying .
i have driven all over uk and most of eu and half way down africa .
really cant see the need .
mind i am obsessed with maps .
started when i was about 6 or 7 yr old and we were travelling in europe . my dad got me map reading .
at the time there was only about 5 main routes through spain . he said look at the smaller roads ,see if you can find 50 ways through spain . south - north.
over the years we did a few , i still dont think i have done 50 different routes but do vary my routes even now . joining the scouts etc , being in the army , driving trucks etc as well as travelling alot has made me
just use maps or memory. getting lost is only having a new adventure . low bridges narrow lanes . end of the road places just make it more exciting .
went through spain this spring on a route i hadnt been on for about 30 yrs . met a chap that as a kid played with my two lads in his village , his dad ran the bar. he remembered my lads , and the custom vw van i had at the time . he was about ten yrs old back then same as my two.
if your in galecia on the ac441 have a stop just south of brandomil in a pic nic area . water and ok for an odd night .
this year we stood on the old roman bridge there and watched otters playing in the river . fantastic . https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@43.0081598,-8.9215999,568m/data=!3m1!1e3
the pic nic area is right by the bridge .
Going across France on the D roads was bad enough on the satnav, doing it on maps must take weeks.....

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
Going across France on the D roads was bad enough on the satnav, doing it on maps must take weeks.....
no its easy . can do it in one day but prefer to take three days . used to a regular ride on m,bikes or drive in the camper roscoff to spain .
but doesnt matter where or what country . maps work.
mind dash board compass can be handy in the busy towns or cities .
i was 16 yrs and two weeks old the first time i did it went to calella up the coast from barcelona . nice ride on a bsa c15 250cc. wouldnt mind a quid for how many times i have done it since. bike, trike ,campers ,trucks .

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I'm also a fan of a map
Satnavs a last resort mine tried to.take me under a 2.8metre bridge the other day despite it being a truck nav with exaggerated dimensions entered

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
It looks like most of the driverless technology is to make taxis. These cars will be really expensive to buy. Far too much for most individuals. But they'll run pretty much 24/7, so cover their investment cost pretty quickly. The business model is that these vehicles will be so cheap and easy to hire, you won't need your own car.

Tesla are investing heavily in the tech and using much cheaper sensors and computing hardware. Probably adding only £10k to the cost of a vehicle. They will manage a really good motorway autopilot pretty soon. But it won't drive into town and won't be able to go anywhere without a qualified driver strapped into the driver's seat.

So don't expect to be able to pop into the back to make a cup of tea while you're heading to the port for a good while yet.

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
This is where you work all your life to buy a driverless motorhome and then you program the route in and send it off whilst you stay at home.
Money well spent.
(n)

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
I'd never own one I drive because I like to control my own vehicle I hate being driven and dislike buses and trains

I also think all this technology is all well and good but the unemployment it causes is not good. I even refuse to use self service checkouts in shops

If the government really does want all the people off benefits and in to jobs surely someone somewhere needs to think yes we can make every job easier and cost effective but should we because all that happens is the people who did those jobs end up redundant and some fat cat ends up with more money than they will ever possibly need.

I don't understand that

As we see on a daily basis, the ongoing and relenting campaign to make stupid people famous, coupled with the hero worship that seems to be heaped on Jeff Bezos , when he is systematically sucking the life out of every town and city centre in the world, all into his own pocket, never ceases to amaze my.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back