Foxy1956
Jan 2, 2017
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starspirit
Exp
7 years
Scotland, sitting in the back of the van admiring the view. Oh bliss! Alternatively bring back the sleeper train with your vehicle.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
We have just been watching a BBC programme on driverless cars, very interesting but the problems that have to be overcome are huge.

Oct 8, 2014
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Compactline 143
Exp
I'm a newbie and always will be. You never know it all.
will the ECU have to take a LGV test?

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
Yeah bring it on, just think, you could have a motorhome with an optional bar. It'd be a bit like a booze cruise. (y)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
... the problem is that if you want to go via something it probably won't as the sat nav won't let it ...

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Don't they have those already:)
IMG_3650.PNG

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Driverless motorhomes! They already exist. I have recently seen one or two motorhomes with very elderly looking people sitting in the driving seat. Most progress quite slowly while the seat occupant looks open mouthed in the direction of travel with an apparent lack of understanding of what they should do next or what way to steer or the meaning of road signs etc. I just had one pass me on an aire in France. His motorhome missed mine by around nine inches as he went by he was totally oblivious to the presence of other parked stationary motorhomes and this was on a huge site where he could have had as much as thirty feet to spare. Similarly when parked on an air a motorhome on front of me stared to reverse towards mine, it kept coming and was obviously not going to stop till it hit mine so at about three feet I hit the horn. The motorhome driver stood on the brakes and it's managed to stop in time, he had no idea I and others were parked behind him and obviously had not checked his mirrors.

My old driving tutor who said treat every other vehicle as a threat driven by a fool and expect the unexpected every time was spot on.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Driverless...
Predictive text turns it into "friendless"...
How prescient is that! Turns our vehicles even more into little isolation cells. Removes us even further from experiencing the world around us. While I recognise some positives this is not, I think, something to look forward to unreservedly.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
If people can cause International chaos by hacking/virus's. Who wants to come and play "Car crashing 'Is' Us" On the M25.? We could call it........... Jamming:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
The words. We have the technology Jim.... Spring to mind.
Tea Bag

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
I would love one. What do you think?

You must be joking, I don't feel safe next to the majority of experienced drivers I know, no way would I feel safe next to a robot. bad enough when computer deides to to do an upgrade when you are sitting at a desk, doesn't bear thinking about it becoming inoperative on the road. Anyway I really love driving.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
I can just imagine it now.
Everyone at the same speed, no overtaking, go forward, go backward, turn left, turn right.......where's the fun in that.
Might as well take the train.
I wouldn't even trust self park mode let alone total robotic control.
almost like it these days . just about everyone seems to be unable to go anywhere with out a sat/nav.
at the next junction turn left.
for me that would mean turn right go straight on or even turn round . cant be doing as i,m told .

Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
almost like it these days . just about everyone seems to be unable to go anywhere with out a sat/nav.
at the next junction turn left.
for me that would mean turn right go straight on or even turn round . cant be doing as i,m told .

There are some aids to driving that make it more pleasurable and sat nav is one of them. I have just done nearly 3000 miles through EU countries and my sat nav led me correctly, with one exception, to each destination. It kept me informed of traffic delays and times of arrival as well as warning me about sharp bends, speed cameras and demgerous road segments. It told me where I could stop for the night on campsite, stellplatz or aire and where groceries were as well as petrol stations and a host of other things. All this with little need to refer to a map and it made for an enjoyable stress free trip for both of us and it wasn't a matter of doing as I was told, I was mostly accepting suggestions after taking a look at the suggested turn myself and sometimes ignoring the suggestion so that sat nav could think again and come up with an alternative.

I am perfectly able to navigate to places I know at home but when touring unfamiliar places and countries I wouldn't be without my sat nav at any cost.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
good for you .
i manage quite nicely without one and spend half my life abroad .
i never really had a problem coming across filling stations shops etc .
but if you use one thats ok.
i like having an adventure .
usually avoid campsites ,aires , stellplatze etc . love little small roads and driving through villages . some you cant but if you can its all good fun.

Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
good for you .
i manage quite nicely without one and spend half my life abroad .
i never really had a problem coming across filling stations shops etc .
but if you use one thats ok.
i like having an adventure .
usually avoid campsites ,aires , stellplatze etc . love little small roads and driving through villages . some you cant but if you can its all good fun.

I hope you continue to enjoy it your way,as I enjoy it mine.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
And when the batteries run out, you Sir, are survivor.
have a couple of times been in mates campers etc and they have had sat navs on .
i finf them annoying .
i have driven all over uk and most of eu and half way down africa .
really cant see the need .
mind i am obsessed with maps .
started when i was about 6 or 7 yr old and we were travelling in europe . my dad got me map reading .
at the time there was only about 5 main routes through spain . he said look at the smaller roads ,see if you can find 50 ways through spain . south - north.
over the years we did a few , i still dont think i have done 50 different routes but do vary my routes even now . joining the scouts etc , being in the army , driving trucks etc as well as travelling alot has made me
just use maps or memory. getting lost is only having a new adventure . low bridges narrow lanes . end of the road places just make it more exciting .
went through spain this spring on a route i hadnt been on for about 30 yrs . met a chap that as a kid played with my two lads in his village , his dad ran the bar. he remembered my lads , and the custom vw van i had at the time . he was about ten yrs old back then same as my two.
if your in galecia on the ac441 have a stop just south of brandomil in a pic nic area . water and ok for an odd night .
this year we stood on the old roman bridge there and watched otters playing in the river . fantastic . https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@43.0081598,-8.9215999,568m/data=!3m1!1e3
the pic nic area is right by the bridge .

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Does my moho count as driverless when I put it into cruise on the M11 while I nip back for a jimmy?:wink:
... Krankie???? :Eeek:

OP
OP
Foxy1956
Jan 2, 2017
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starspirit
Exp
7 years
I can just imagine it now.
Everyone at the same speed, no overtaking, go forward, go backward, turn left, turn right.......where's the fun in that.
Might as well take the train.
I wouldn't even trust self park mode let alone total robotic control.
Let the train take the strain. I've just done 1300 miles up to Aberdeen then to Shetland. Driving, cooking, caring and everything else with a disabled lovely wife. I would love a driverless van or someone to drive up to Scotland and we fly up to join them. There could be a market niche there.

Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
have a couple of times been in mates campers etc and they have had sat navs on .
i finf them annoying .
i have driven all over uk and most of eu and half way down africa .
really cant see the need .
mind i am obsessed with maps .
started when i was about 6 or 7 yr old and we were travelling in europe . my dad got me map reading .
at the time there was only about 5 main routes through spain . he said look at the smaller roads ,see if you can find 50 ways through spain . south - north.
over the years we did a few , i still dont think i have done 50 different routes but do vary my routes even now . joining the scouts etc , being in the army , driving trucks etc as well as travelling alot has made me
just use maps or memory. getting lost is only having a new adventure . low bridges narrow lanes . end of the road places just make it more exciting .
went through spain this spring on a route i hadnt been on for about 30 yrs . met a chap that as a kid played with my two lads in his village , his dad ran the bar. he remembered my lads , and the custom vw van i had at the time . he was about ten yrs old back then same as my two.
if your in galecia on the ac441 have a stop just south of brandomil in a pic nic area . water and ok for an odd night .
this year we stood on the old roman bridge there and watched otters playing in the river . fantastic . https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@43.0081598,-8.9215999,568m/data=!3m1!1e3
the pic nic area is right by the bridge .
On the other hand, for those not obsessed by maps............it's an individual choice each to their own.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back