Drive off with Grey Waste Drain Tap Open WHY? (6 Viewers)

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
We hope its not widespread on this site. We only noticed it as the 2 pitches are brand new as we turned 20 grass pitches into hard standings during the winter & the Easter break was the 1st time they were used. They could've been parked anywhere. This post was started as 2 motorhomes drove off site with the drain taps open ignoring the motorhome service point. So that's 4 in 5 days. The majority do stop & drain off the grey at the correct point, we experienced some last season but this year it seems more prevalent. The next one I may stop in a mad panic with my arms waving & say '[HI]You've got a leak![/HI]

especially if its a fiat / peugeot or citroen the fuel filters seem to be prone to spontaneous leaks :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
I have just re-read the whole discussion.

I have to admit I'm wrong. I never ever dump grey waste irresponsibly, I thought this thread referred to black toilet waste. Of course I always dump this under my van to make it easier than to walk to the élsan point. The good news is that we don't use loo roll though, we prefer to use underwear so I think we are ok to do this?

Is this right? Or should I be burying it? Although that seems really hard work on the hard standing .

Spacerunner

Free Member
Apr 7, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I have just re-read the whole discussion.

I have to admit I'm wrong. I never ever dump grey waste irresponsibly, I thought this thread referred to black toilet waste. Of course I always dump this under my van to make it easier than to walk to the élsan point. The good news is that we don't use loo roll though, we prefer to use underwear so I think we are ok to do this?

Is this right? Or should I be burying it? Although that seems really hard work on the hard standing .

Use it as mulch for your blackberries. And yes, I would have to refuse a slice of blackberry and apple pie if you offered it to me. :winky:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Why do [HI]so many motorhomers t[/HI]hink its ok to drive around a site making their way to the exit with the 'grey waste' tap open. As wardens on a privately owned site we see it all the time. We have a dedicated motorhome waste drain & fresh water point. Don't get me wrong most do empty but there's a growing number that can't be bothered. In fact they stop to fill up with our water when they leave, god knows why they want to drive around the countryside with all that extra weight on board but then they can't be bothered to empty the waste tank at the same time. Argh!!

We hope its not widespread on this site. We only noticed it as the 2 pitches are brand new as we turned 20 grass pitches into hard standings during the winter & the Easter break was the 1st time they were used. They could've been parked anywhere. [HI]This post was started as 2 motorhomes drove off site with the drain taps open[/HI] ignoring the motorhome service point. So that's 4 in 5 days. [HI]The majority do stop & drain off the grey at the correct point[/HI], we experienced some last season but this year it seems more prevalent. The next one I may stop in a mad panic with my arms waving & say 'You've got a leak!

I've just read this marathon thread.:Eeek:

It started by telling me there was an epidemic of waste dumping by "so many motorhomers" as they left this site....

....and they even showed their apparent selfish madness by daring to fill their water tanks with "our water, "before leaving the site......:cry::cry:

I guess as this is a private site they may have already paid for the privilege of filling up with "your water", or is that also against the "Rules"......

So then after my staying up late into the night, reading all about the massed MH conspirators dumping waste, I find the OP was based upon the actions of .................................." 2 fri**ing VANS"..........:Doh:

I am biting my lip.... I do not want to break Rule 1.............:winky:

To quote the title of an old Punk song by a band called 999...

Titanic (my Over Reaction)....................:RollEyes::RollEyes:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
After reading some of the replies to this thread I can now understand why people are reluctant to start new threads and the same old threads keep popping up time and time again and going round and round and round. The OP has a valid point which some refuse to except. But ha ho perhaps its safer to stick to "Where can I park in Dover".

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
After reading some of the replies to this thread[HI] I can now understand why people are reluctant to start new threads [/HI]and the same old threads keep popping up time and time again and going round and round and round. The OP has a valid point which some refuse to except. But ha ho perhaps its safer to stick to "Where can I park in Dover".

Agree entirely....

also, there are some who seldom start a thread but delight in shooting down others who do.. then jump on the bandwagon to have a rant about carvanners, smokers, dog owners, wild campers, etc. :RollEyes:

Where can I park at Calais Dave ? :winky:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
[HI]After reading some of the replies to this thread I can now understand why people are reluctant to start new threads[/HI] and the same old threads keep popping up time and time again and going round and round and round. The OP has a valid point which some refuse to except. But ha ho perhaps its safer to stick to "Where can I park in Dover".

[HI]Agree entirely...[/HI].

also, there are some who seldom start a thread but delight in shooting down others who do.. then jump on the bandwagon to have a rant about carvanners, smokers, dog owners, wild campers, etc. :RollEyes:

Sorry I don't see it?

The OP asked a question,

He got, Opinion's he got answers, he got alternative views.

On top of that, he got a whole lot of fun from flowering blackberries to fantasied car crashes.

Judging by the responses of many, I think the OP can take a whole lot of credit for introducing a thread that gave an awful lot of funsters a giggle and an education on the activities of others.

and too think I was called touchy during this thread :Smile:

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
Agree entirely....

O crap :Doh:
I smoke drink wild camp dump my Gray waste responsibly and have even been know to dig a deep hole to bury my bog waste got a dog and a lead with no less then 2 poo bags tied on
own a ipad and iPhone
I think that's all my worst habits according to me but Elaine is shopping at moment no doubt she will list many more :Angry:
Am I a bad lad then :thumb:

Please post GPS settings for 5 star free parking in Calais

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
I thought that the point of a Forum was to discuss. Isn't that what has happened with this post?

Some discuss logically and agree, others equally logically but disagree, some relate their own experiences, throwing them into the mix

The odd funny comment here and there also keeps the debate ticking along.

The OP should be quite proud that his thread provoked so much interest and comment.

How boring would this Forum be if, either, everyone agreed with every post or the rules did not allow for the opposite point of view.

PS. OK Haganap can type faster than me, but my punctuation is better.:RollEyes:
Pete:Cool:

Last edited:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Why do so many motorhomers think its ok to drive around a site making their way to the exit with the 'grey waste' tap open. As wardens on a privately owned site we see it all the time. We have a dedicated motorhome waste drain & fresh water point. Don't get me wrong most do empty but there's a growing number that can't be bothered. In fact they stop to fill up with our water when they leave, god knows why they want to drive around the countryside with all that extra weight on board but then they can't be bothered to empty the waste tank at the same time. Argh!!

In case any of you have forgotten, this is the OP. I am of the belief he has a valid point. Call it what you will and try to defend the people that behave like this but I call it irresponsible, anti social behaviour and am proud to say I do not condone it. He is not saying don't take water with you, he is saying that whilst driving to the water point and filling up with water, why not empty your foul tanks at the same time and not on a hard standing pitch that someone else has to pitch up on. I sometimes wonder why the advocates of dump it were you like have a waste tank fitted. What I have noticed is that the dump it anywhere mob don't leave the waste valve open whilst on there pitch as this would cause them a problem. They only dump there foul water on the pitch as they are leaving. Does this not tell you something.

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
In case any of you have forgotten, this is the OP. I am of the belief he has a valid point. Call it what you will and try to defend the people that behave like this but I call it irresponsible, anti social behaviour and am proud to say I do not condone it. He is not saying don't take water with you, he is saying that whilst driving to the water point and filling up with water, why not empty your foul tanks at the same time and not on a hard standing pitch that someone else has to pitch up on. I sometimes wonder why the advocates of dump it were you like have a waste tank fitted. What I have noticed is that the dump it anywhere mob don't leave the waste valve open whilst on there pitch as this would cause them a problem. They only dump there foul water on the pitch as they are leaving. [HI]Does this not tell you something[/HI].

From my experience, it tells me that they are either German or French.:thumb:

Spacerunner

Free Member
Apr 7, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I think it been a great thread. More importantly it has revealed a bad practice that is bringing the motor homing fraternity into ill-repute.
If this debate has reformed just one defaulter (can't think why but the word Haganap springs to mind :winky:) then its all been worthwhile.

:thumb:

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
If this debate has reformed just one defaulter (can't think why but the word Haganap springs to mind :winky:) then its all been worthwhile. :thumb:

smiley-taunt003.gif

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
Some people empty fresh water tanks on a return home to save on fuel.
Could observers of this (open tap) mistake it for a grey waste water :Doh:

Cocoro

Free Member
Nov 5, 2011
Europe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2003
IMHO it's holding grey water in the tanks for longish periods is what causes it to smell.

I spend 6 months of the year in Spain and have always dropped grey water to ground. Even in the hottest weather there is no smell.

Many hold it in their tanks discharging it into the service point, every few days or so causing a smell and then driving away with the valve open, thus discharging the remaining stinking waste, across the campsite.

I do not believe that dropping grey waste to ground, unless on hard standing, does any harm at all and certainly in my experience does not cause a smell.

In times of drought how often are we told not to put the washing up water down the sink but to pour it on the garden.

I guess when your wild camping thats ok, but I'm now parked on a pitch in the South of France where clearly someone has had their drain valve open the whole time. There is no smell, just a muddy hole in the ground we have to walk around. The only position we can park the van because of trees means this muddy hole is just to the right of the door. I've stepped in it twice in the evening (I know, too many sheberts!) I'm now looking for some free gravel to fill it with. Not the end of the world, but with a bit of effort, doesn't need to be there.

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp

A good point well made.:winky:

Will this thread never die?:RollEyes:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000

Any fluids trailing from under a motorhome will be construed as effluent to a none motorhomer who is against motorhomes parked near there homes. How do you prove to an anti motorhomer what fluid it is. Dont give them any ammunition...they have enough already :RollEyes:.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
When I started motorhoming part time, a long, long time ago with a Standard Atlas conversion. I drove down to the South of France and on route from Manchester saw maybe 10 motorhomes on the round trip. In those days I suppose it would not hurt anyone if you dumped your grey water at the side of the road. Nowadays every man and his uncle have a motorhome and it is supposedly the fastest growing pastime in Europe. Can you imagine what the countryside would be like if all of them dumped there waste wherever they felt like it :Eeek:

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
When I started motorhoming part time, a long, long time ago with a Standard Atlas conversion. I drove down to the South of France and on route from Manchester saw maybe 10 motorhomes on the round trip. In those days I suppose it would not hurt anyone if you dumped your grey water at the side of the road. Nowadays every man and his uncle have a motorhome and it is supposedly the fastest growing pastime in Europe. Can you imagine what the countryside would be like if all of them dumped there waste wherever they felt like it :Eeek:

Green grass and succulent blackberries? :Blush:

See, there you go THE FINAL WORD

xxx

Last edited:

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
when we get the next hosepipe ban,i will invite all motorhomers to empty their gray waste onto my lawns,and flower beds:thumb:
any deposits in the gray waste the birds will eat,and the lawns will look lovely:thumb:

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
Wonder if Jim found any hair on his blackberries?

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
when we get the next hosepipe ban,i will invite all motorhomers to empty their gray waste onto my lawns,and flower beds:thumb:
any deposits in the gray waste the birds will eat,and the lawns will look lovely:thumb:

Don't know where you live, but I'd be glad to oblige, if you cover my fuel costs and provide an overnight on EHU.:RollEyes:

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
Sweetcorn - that's gross :ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun